Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Tempus Aeterna' (Temple of Time)

Sounds nice, but... it also sounds like the original with some new notes. I guess I was expecting something radically different; a new style, for instance. Maybe start with the minimalistic choir thing and then SWEEEEEELLLLL into some crazy orchestral awesomeness.

Just an idea, there really isn't anything wrong with your take, apart for MOAR NEEDED.

Sounds nice, but... it also sounds like the original with some new notes. I guess I was expecting something radically different; a new style, for instance. Maybe start with the minimalistic choir thing and then SWEEEEEELLLLL into some crazy orchestral awesomeness.

Just an idea, there really isn't anything wrong with your take, apart for MOAR NEEDED.

I concur. More orchestra, lots more, and for gods sake lower your choir an octave, the temple of time was filled with an invisible floating male choir, not females

Long reverb and/or release tails make this sound messy and cluttered (in terms of frequencies, not notes). Speaking of notes, there's a few recurring ones that feel out of key. Glitch is also right about the choir, it should drop an octave.

I also agree that it's too simple. You need more. More length, more notes, more bass, more variation in the progression, and more interpretation. The only thing you need less of it release/reverb time.

You should also consider cutting a few dB off of the instruments you've used so they don't compete for the same range. Fixing that should clean up the soundscape, maybe to the point where the tails aren't a problem. Just don't overdo it.

The OoT music is based on stuff you could play with the ocarina in-game, so it shouldn't be hard to find another similar source to use. The overremixed Zelda's Lullaby might work both musically and thematically, the underrepresented Requiem of Spirit also. Consider adding another source that you can borrow elements from. Just make sure to blend them together seamlessly.

Your approach is interesting and worth exploring. You might not need to emulate an entire orchestra, as choir, strings, and a solo woodwind might be enough, if the whole thing is sequenced and mixed right. I think this could be a great track, but a few quick fixes alone isn't gonna get it there. Good luck with it.

hmmm I would suggest what Glitch said, do lower the choir but also towards the end, if you can, add a trumpet to give it that big flair and bite that this needs seeing it is literally almost the exact to what the game had, which can be good but also a bad thing seeing we want to here better interpretations of the game, not the game itself cause really if we wanted that we would go and just listen to the chip-tune lol

The first thing I thought of, when it got to around 0:30, is "This would work really well as the into to a zelda movie." Not that they're ever going to make one, despite IGNs claims of april fools falsehood, but still, it kind of has that into to it.

The intro is really good, and then we get... more of the same. It needs to go in a different direction from there, and I've actually had an idea that you might want to consider.

The percussion seems out of place when it is there, basically amounting to a timpani roll here and there, and certainly doesn't add to the piece. So, when listening to the melody loop about the third time, I wanted it to do the following: Drop the melody, come in with some low sounds and a percussion groove of some sort (organic sounds, maybe sort of jungle ish) and sound dramatic, like something ominous was on the horizon. I dunno, that was just where I think it could have gone.

What you've basically got here is a great starting point, but not something that I would really see standing out as a mix on its own. It either needs to do something... (I hate to be a sheep) more, or you need to add another source to it, or go in a different direction. I guess what I'm saying is, its bland.

The choir octave... I dunno, I guess it didn't really bother me. Definitely sounds like a female choir, but I don't think that particular pad would sound good as a male choir, so I dunno what to recommend really. I guess you'll just make more people happy with a male choir. You could even leave the female choir in the introduction (and possibly conclusion) but use a male choir somewhere in the middle for dramatic effect. However, it won't hurt my feelings any either way.

The whole thing sounds really ethnic to me (listen to me, sounding all American, using words like ethnic ^_^) which is a rather unique direction that I don't really hear a lot of Zelda pieces trying. You might want to build on some of those things. The lower chords you use remind me a lot of Kakairo village from Twilight Princess actually.

I realize that this is a WIP, but the quality of the samples... well, it certainly isn't a plus. Now, take that with a grain of salt, the source material (the n64 hardware) didn't have a lot to offer, but the temple especially sounded magnificent on it, I know that. I also have to baaa again and note that the middle voices get a little overpowering.

Your synth strings, especially, do NOT work well for me at all in the high high range, and you have them playing there a lot. Synth strings, especially more generic ones, become far more noticable the higher you have them play, so you may want to consider taking them down an octave. I can see where you're going with it from a music perspective, and I think it would sound fine using real live instruments, but just the synth sound in that range doesn't do it for me at all. Had to point it out.

I've spoken for too long, it's someone else's turn now.

-thegamefreak

You definetly have the feel down and faithful to the original but there are some things you can improve on.

1) Phrasing. Aside from the first phrase/verse/movement (or whatever you'd like to call it, I'll go with phrase) of the original song you don't bring the others into play until about 3/4 into the song, they need to be fleshed out more so you can at least do all of the phrases twice. Ideally I'd say use the main phrase a few times, then all of the phrases 2-3 times, and then end on the main phrase.

2) Variety. I definetly agree you just need more in the song, it's certainly clear you have an orchestral feel. The inclusions of a male chorus (as mentioned, like the original), stronger strings, woodwinds (ocarina-ish if possible), and stronger horns would be excellent and help to round it off with a solid dramatic feel. Heck, throw in a cymbal or two for dramatic effect. I do like the rolling drums on occasion which also serve as a good transition.

3) Progression. After you fix the phrasing you should bring in more instruments and more volume throughout the song, perhaps starting with the female chorus (main phrase a couple of times), then male chorus (all phrases 1st time), then strings and woodwinds (all phrases 2nd time), then horns (all phrases 3rd time), and ending with a grand finale (main phrase). Well that's how I'd do it.

If you were to take these points into account I think you'll have a real work of art.

And I like your latin title, Time Eternal, nice.