Wall-E

FuriousFure

No Sigourney Weaver was the ship's computer i.e. the voice you heard announcing the rogue robots. Auto was done with MacinTalk, at least according to Wikipedia.

I would have lol'd so hard if it was weaver who did Auto. (I thought it was Otto, but whatever.)

I think the message of the movie was pretty good even if it was really a bit overhanded, but you have to remember that it's basically a CG cartoon.

Basically, this movie is like Idiocracy + a CG Charlie Chaplin movie. Idiocracy beats you over the head with its stupidity and message that we're all headed to becoming idiots (even the giant pillars of trash was in Idiocracy), but Wall-E has the cute factor in there.

I wish they did more of the space scenery because those were truly breathtaking. The entire theater was silent for the space scenes.

Would you just stop and enjoy something? Seriously. Everything you post has to have something to complain about.

Totally couldn't get out of my mind that Walle was Jhonny 5.

Haha I noticed that too.

Just got back from seeing it with my 3yr old and GF and it was a very enjoyable experience. I'd definitely see it again just to watch M-O continually pitch a fit cleaning up :).

Saw it this afternoon. Wow. Excellent work, and definitely another Pixar masterpiece. The character development was drastically better than most 'adult' movies these days, and the stylistic direction they took (basically no spoken dialogue for the first 30-40 minutes) was genius. Seeing it in the afternoon meant more kids, but I think the adults had more fun. One kid was truly worried about Wall-E at the end, which was amusing. It's remarkable that a movie like this could be so emotional, given that the humans are so exceedingly secondary to the story and that Wall-E is a robot. This is the best movie I've seen in a while, and I will absolutely be acquiring the DVD in November. Well done, Pixar, well done!

Spoiler

As a side note for anyone who saw it, my three favorite quickshot jokes were the brief appearance of Sputnik hitting Wall-E in the face, the 8000-0 Pong game, and the singing fish on the wall.

I took the fiancee, cause she wanted to see it bad, and I was interested. Must say, best Pixar movie I've ever seen. The presto short at the first was hilarious, and the feature was just so fucking adorable and funny that you can't help but to love it. And the social view of humans being that lazy should really show people how we are really becoming. But I will too get this on dvd when it comes out as well.

****SPOILERS****

In my opinion, WALL-E being broken, then losing his memory, and then getting it back was almost like a brief mini summary of the whole plot of the movie. Earth is destroyed, but now its fixed (can grow life again), but everyone has lost their humanity. And in the end, they gain their humanity back.

We don't know the hardware configuration of Wall-E units, so perhaps there is a seperate long-term memory module stored somewhere else in his unit and the spark triggered a reboot of Wall-E's system that allowed it to reload the memory from this module.

And in the end, that's what the movie is saying about mankind now. The Earth is broken, and needs to be fixed, but we're all losing touch with what made us ALIVE in the first place. So can we REMEMBER that, or not?"

When WALL-E and EVE are flying through the Axiom and we get a medium shot of a bunch of babies who obviously are in school, but the only thing they're being taught is "A is for Axiom, B is for Buy N Large, your best friend." GENIUS. If that's how kids will learn how to read in the future, then our society will never learn to think for itself and do what's actually best for the world and the environment that we live in. Beautifully crafted indeed.

Does anybody notice how much personality the robots in the repair ward have? Now, I've read a lot of reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and it irks me to see even positive reviews say that that scene was unnecessarily stretched out and pointless to the plot. The BuyNLarge corporation has fixated people on some belief that their social life has to be digital and that robots have to hand them food in a cup. But these "broken robots" have more individuality and heart than any of those humans sitting in lounge chairs have.

It's one of the major messages of the film, breaking out of your routine and actually paying attention to what's going on around you. When we finally see the humans, they are effectively nothing more than robots themselves, flying around on their tracks watching their screens, drinking their food in a cup. It takes Wall-E to practically crash into them in order for them to see the stars, or the pool, or that there's actually a person next to them, and not just on their screen.

It's the same thing when he makes that one robot realize that he can wave with his arm, and the same reason those other robots are considered broken.

Would you just stop and enjoy something? Seriously. Everything you post has to have something to complain about.

Really? Because I have a pretty high regard to the Mike Judge (King of the Hill, Buttheads) effort in Idiocracy. And I really didn't mind the beating-the-message-over-your-head aspect in Wall-E even when they happened. Because it was all done so slickly and cutely. Oh, and the infusion of real life acting was brilliant too. And the far/near vision blur was really cool.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

spoilers: I loved the first (3rd-ish) of the film when it was just Wall-E and the cocroach exploring the barren earth. It was a great exposition for the rest of the story and it also showcased the amazing animation while telling a sort of photo-story.

I also loved the particle effects and such when Wall-E and Eve are flying through space together. M-o was also awesome. For some reason I can relate to his goal of keeping everything clean and in order

SPOILERS ahoy:

I loved their vision of humanity, and how they portrayed it in a consistent manner. And details galore... before that "Confidential" video from the president, I think I saw the words "For auto-pilot eyes only" =P

And I absolutely loved the physical battle between the captain and the ship's autopilot. There's this intricate system in place to be all-knowing, all-powerful and in complete control - but not if the captain can physically overpower the silly wheel!

One thing that was really incredible for me though: We've all seen movies with a romantic flying scene (Superman 2, Superman Returns, Aladdin), where it tries to be to be all beautiful and awe-inspiring. This was the first movie I've seen where it actually succeeded, for me. Stunning space-scape, and the ship's massive thrusters were incredible.

And I'm pretty sure I've never heard such frequent and widespread laughter from the audience at a movie before. What's sort of ironic though is that I went there to see a different movie (which was sold out).

Woah! That's it? How can there be so little lines in a modern movie?

okay, ya caught me over exaggerating... more like 50 or little over. but being a good 103 minutes. that's ridiculious.

Spoilerish

You also gotta love the references to 2001: a space odyssey. the music, daisy daisy. and then the other music and of course, auto looks suspiciously like Hal 9000. awesome. so many nods and winks.

and the ships computer pilot (i forgot its name) reminded me of glados

Despite being blatantly modeled after HAL? They even played Zarathustra just to make sure you got the 2001 reference.

Sigh, I tell ya, kids these days and their dadgum newfangled vidja games...

Edit: I'm not sure if this...

(replacement chip -> lost memory)

...qualifies as a twist, because it's hard not to see it coming.

I've got a couple spoilers as well, although less spoiler-ific than the other ones since everyone beat me to the punch....

SPOILERS:

I also felt like Pixar had been playing WAY too much Portal right before creating Presto ... and it pissed me off that I couldn't be like, "This is just like Portal!!" to my gf who has never played or seen Portal. It was like being caged up, lol.

Also, I thought to myself, "You know, I don't think 'Hello, Dolly' got this much recognition when it came out on the big screen originally." Seriously, that musical is SO boring. At least they picked a couple decent songs from it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE how they used it in this movie over and over, and I just thought to myself "I wonder how many people actually know what 'Hello, Dolly' is." And if they did, did they realize 10 seconds into the movie that we were listening to the original Hello, Dolly soundtrack with Michael Crawford singing "Put on your Sunday clothes"?

And then I felt really gay for knowing that.

All that being said, I am SO DAMN glad that they picked "Sunday clothes" over like .. "When the parade passes by" or some other shattastic music from the movie. Pixar again is awesome. :)

I know I had some other things to say, but really ... getting all that Hello, Dolly stuff out on the forum really took a load off of me and I'm good to go now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. When the captain is reading up on Earth, did anyone else think, "Huh ... nice to see Wikipedia made it to 2700..."

I went and saw this last night; AMAZING! I really enjoyed it. The feeling that they were able to express through so little dialogue is really fantastic. Pixar are geniuses.

SPOILERS! ...i think...

I did, however, find the preachiness a little heavy-handed... I enjoyed how all of the humans were semi-retarded and basically slugs, but the whole "we now need to save the environment, kids. Because your mommies and daddies are killing your future" was pretty forced. I do modestly believe in conservation, but that was almost Captain Planet bad.

End Spoilers.

I also didn't feel quite as close to some of the supporting characters as usual in Pixar movies. "Moe" had a much smaller part than I figured he would, and the two "born again" humans got very little emotional attachment from me... But thats just me being picky. I really, truly did enjoy Wall-E despite my nitpickings.

EDIT: Presto was probably the best short I think I've ever seen from Pixar, which is saying something. I laughed my ass off from the very beginning to the very end of it. And yes, I got a definite Portal vibe from it and yes, it drove me crazy not telling my wife, who knows nothing of Portal. :-)

EDIT 2: Also, this might be pretty old, but there is some almost Pixar-quality shorts from a French group of animators here: http://www.burningsafari.com/index.htm

Click on "Links" for their other shorts. They're really well-done.