Diablo III

Bren

I've got to say that I don't really see what the bitching is about. I like the idea of actually being able to see more of what's going on instead of having to guess my way through murky levels. And yes, I did play Diablo 2, and I loved it. I loved playing through just to find out what happened next, but in the interim it got boring as hell looking at the same drab stuff over and over again. Just watched a good section of the game-play video as well, and it's actually got me somewhat excited. It was cool to see more interactive environments, enemies appearing and dying in new ways, and the ability to actually see the visual difference in the armor you put on. In Diablo 2, you wouldn't have been able to see those ghouls crawling up the walls of platform you were on, and you sure as hell wouldn't have been able to see how many there were. On the other hand, I was also noticing that there were plenty of spots in the game that were appropriately darker. Not "I can't see five feet in front of me" dark, but a "In between light sources, it's definitely harder to see" way. Really, the only time I want to have a field of view is when there is no light sources at all.

I don't share the concern of the petition that it has taken too many aspects from WoW either. Been playing that for the last month off and on, and this game looks nothing like WoW to me. Instead, I feel like what they are doing is a logical direction for Diablo to go. It doesn't feel too cartoon-ish, nor too bright. I fail to understand how fleshing out a world for a dark story to exist in is a bad thing. And my ability to see that world is a major thing that I like. It's what keeps my focus in the game and not on searching the screen to try and find where the enemy is. The only real concern I see is the move towards a more Gauntlet-type experience with those health orbs and a ton of enemies around every corner.

Overall, it just sounds to me like these guys who made the petition are complaining because it doesn't look like the last two so much so that they are worried the game will lose it's "Gothic feel". To me, it still looks just as creepy and full of crazy undead/demonic stuff as it ever did in the first and second ones. Only now you can actually see them.

As a side note though, I had to laugh at a couple of things in the petition including:

"What we got in Diablo III" - As though they have already experienced most of the game.

"Hand made, pastel looking textures with bold lines, defined contours, smooth colors and clean shapes." - This is the first time I've ever heard someone complain about this.

"Diablo dungeons were characterized by the combination of a light radius system with shadows, everything that resides outside of the character vision sight is shadowed." - Which is exactly what I saw in the game-play video. The difference being that the character is no longer limited to seeing 8 feet in front of them. I've been in many places lit solely by candles, and I've still been able to see from one end of the room, to the other side of the house, 100+ feet away, just fine. And I wasn't casting an unrealistic sphere of light around myself either.

And lastly the perpetual typos failed to impress me. If anything, it made me lose quite a bit of respect for the starters of that petition. If you want to be taken seriously, take more time to go over what you put out there. Couldn't spell the word "Shiny" right even once. Yeah...

everyone jumped back into d2 and i'm happy because when they did, my friends led me to discover the ladder system. why the f didn't i use the ladder system before?? it's so much better because the characters become normal when the ladder resets. a purpose to it all. d3 looking to be the same type of deal. woot.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=4606414

So there we have it. A release date from Blizzard. I was so very excited for this game when I heard the announcement back in Summer of 2008. It even got me playing D1 and D2 again. Then as more information became available, and the plans Blizzard had for the game, I slowly started to lose interest because I didn't like the direction the company was taking the game... auction house, DRM, etc. :<

What are your thoughts? Are you still as excited as you were when they announced the game 4 years ago? Did you lose interest along the way? Do you totally still love everything they are planning to do with D3? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Me? Heh, well, I don't like where things are going, I'm not as excited as I was, but yes, I will probably still buy the game :tomatoface:- at least it's something to hold me off until Guild Wars 2 comes out (when it comes to game companies, ArenaNet knows what the fuck they're doing!).

Cheers guys,

~Syllix

Not even gonna bother. We're looking at a May/June release date for GW2 most likely.

Where did you hear that? I know they had a press beta weekend a few weeks ago, but it hasn't even hit public beta - I don't think it'll be out that soon, although I wish it was). I did sign up for the beta tests though (which hopefully I receive an email within the next month :))

Also Syllix, you better add me on GW2 when it comes out. :P

lol I'm game. Also have a few friends who I'll be playing with too - I started a thread way back (at least I think I did... maybe I just commented, yeah, think I just commented lol...), anyway, it was ideas for guild names in GW2 - I suggested "Overclocked." Simple, and effective, and awesome :)

Anyways, enough about GW2, this is a D3 thread, afterall :P

Edited by Ryan Jobson
I make a lot of mistakes the hell do you want from me

Go play Diablo 2. Hell, go play Diablo 1, too. The series actually has a pretty rich lore, so you'd be missing out on half the fun of the third game if you play it without having played the other games.

I actually never played Diablo 1, I couldn't stand the character movement physics. I loved Diablo 2 though. And super-excited for Diablo 3! It's been tooooooo long!

I've actually been playing D2 again with a friend and I am enjoying it.. But as for D3 I'm not really excited, seeing as the original team that made D2 so great has since moved on.. and with the quality of WoW as of late I just can't get excited for this game. Not sure I'm even going to bother picking it up at all.

Yeah, I'll get it for sure. Diablo II is my favorite PC game of all time, so I don't see why I wouldn't want to check out D3. The great thing about the series is that there is no way you HAVE to play the game, you can just do it your own way. So I don't see what all the bitching is about. Don't like the auction house? Don't use it. Be a man and find your own damn items!