Castlevania Judgement for Wii

EdgeCrusher

I only got Castlevania 64, and dispite it's flaws, it's a pretty good game. The camera was a bit whacky, the controls weren't deep enough, but it was still good. It actually got ALOT better the more you progressed.

Lament of Innocence is one of my favorite Castlevania's. The environments keep repeating themselves, though they look alright.The music is awesome. The animation is great, and i found the art direction to be quite good.

Curse of Darkness....meh. It had some really neat features, but got killed by the ugly level design, and completely predictable and liniar gameplay. Combat was cool though.

I love how much infighting is happening between all the Castlevania fanboys at those forums. I posted something critical about Iga's work on this and the fact it looks too much like Soul Calibur....and they just descended upon me like rats squeaking "Iga's pouring his heart and soul into this!" and "If you were a REAL Castlevania fan....!"

Yeah, you come on over to my place and I'll show you how much of a fan I am with my collections. Then I'll make you eat your own asshole.

And Ceil, I know you're there. Yes you can use my badge, you wanker. =P

I love how much infighting is happening between all the Castlevania fanboys at those forums. I posted something critical about Iga's work on this and the fact it looks too much like Soul Calibur....and they just descended upon me like rats squeaking "Iga's pouring his heart and soul into this!" and "If you were a REAL Castlevania fan....!"

Yeah, you come on over to my place and I'll show you how much of a fan I am with my collections. Then I'll make you eat your own asshole.

And Ceil, I know you're there. Yes you can use my badge, you wanker. =P

They should just include a Belmont or something IN Soul Calibur IV as an unlockable character. That way, no Castlevania fighter, but Iga still gets to say that CV had something to do with one.

Everybody wins.

I'm still shocked that he wants to release this on a system whose hardware isn't up to snuff compared to its competitors. But that might mean that IGA might really be trying to use the Wiimote in plenty of creative ways, so let's not count this one out just yet.

Who am I kidding? This game is destined for failure... :-(

You kidding? Not too long ago Iga said he wasn't going to put out a game for the Wii! Not only did he think that the Wiimote opened up too many gimmicks that he was trying to avoid (he'd gotten enough with Dawn of Sorrow on the DS)...but I believe he also wasn't too thrilled with the Wii's capabilities and wanted to go with the 360 or PS3 instead.

Which begs the question...what made him so suddenly change his mind?

He said he also wanted to stick to 2D Castlevania games since those did better, but you see where this is going.

Bloodlines doesn't need a remake. It was epic on it's own.

The only reason they remade Rondo was to have something other than the stand-alone import of the game bundled in, though honestly they could have just imported Rondo with some English voice-overs, and it would have sold just as well.

And the first Castlevania's been "re-envisioned" before - it's called Castlevania Chronicles. (a remake of the Sharp X68000 game, which was basically a remix of the first Castlevania)

And the first Castlevania's been "re-envisioned" before - it's called Castlevania Chronicles. (a remake of the Sharp X68000 game, which was basically a remix of the first Castlevania)

Don't forget that Castlevania Chronicles also has the original X68000 game as it was, right down to the choices of how the music sounds. So basically, it's a bit like the 'Rondo' PSP game, in that it had both the original game, and an upgraded remake.

Also, Super Castlevania IV is a remake of Castlevania. So there's another redo.

Castelvania Chronicles just wasn't that good though, but I had played the original game before that and didn't care for it. Castlevania 4 was indeed a remake of sorts, but if they did remake it, maybe in the 2.5D set up that would be awesome, and the room tilt section would be awesome. The Rondo rerelease was way too long in the making though, and if they had done that years back instead of giving us a shitted up port for SNES with gimped up music and stuff cut out, maybe they would have sold the shit out of it.

But yeah, 1-3 needs to be redone hard. Especially 2. I love 2 to death.

CV2 was the first one I played, and I agree it needs a remake. I played it on a black and white television, yet I remembered it having vibrant high resolution graphics. Also, I rather liked the shitted up SNES port of Rondo. The music and graphics made me sick to my stomach at first, but the more I played it the more I liked it. Kinda like cranberries.

But anyway, here's why I think Judgement has a chance:

IGA doesn't like the N64 Castlevanias, so clearly he'll never be able to make a great 3D Castlevania. But he can make great 2D Castlevanias. Judgement is a 3D fighter, and 3D fighters don't really have 3D gameplay. Seriously, it seems like if you sidestep in a 3D fighting game you get hit anyway, and unless arenas have walls and obstacles or traps or something, positioning is the same as 2D fighters. Therefore, Judgement is practically a 2D game, which means it has a good chance of being good?

Your logic has promise but is ultimately flawed, young padawan.

I do recall Soul Calibur being more 3D than 2D, and since Judgement is clearly trying to rip one from SC, one can guess that the engine being used is the same of similar as it was in SC3. And yes, Iga does suck at 3D - not so much the concepts, but the execution. He didn't spend enough individual time on any of his 3D games, as most were produced and released within a year of a 2D CV game. Therefore, careful detail and intricacies weren't included and the games felt rushed.

How long has it been since Soul Calibur 3 was released? A few years, right? If Iga spent as much time on an individual 3D Castlevania game (hell, ANY Castlevania game) as the time spent on SC4 since the release of SC3, I can almost garuntee he'd have himself another Symphony of the Night of the series. However, he hasn't, and probably won't. The unfortunate demand he's listening to from fans is the demand for new games ASAP, instead of in-depth quality games spread out over the course of say 2 years or more.

That's why I believe Judgement will suck. Beyond terrible character designs IMO, Judgement will suffer from being overshadowed by Order of Ecclesia and from rush jobs to get a game out and make a quick buck off of the impatience of the fanbase. Even if two different teams are working on the games separately, how much time does that give Iga to give his full attention to either game?

Castelvania Chronicles just wasn't that good though, but I had played the original game before that and didn't care for it.

Really? It's one of my favorites, probably in my top three after Castlevania 1 and Rondo of Blood. It's got everything a classic Castlevania game needs: demonic level design (difficult but not cheap), great graphics and soundtrack, and boss fights that actually were a challenge. Nothing I hate more than facing an impressive looking boss in a game and beating it quickly without taking much or any damage. Seems like that's the case with most games these days, including new Castlevania games. In fact, I've played all the Castlevania games since Rondo of Blood and not one of them had a boss that I had to fight more than two times to beat. The GBA/DS games espeically were pushovers... I wish they would make a new Castlevania game that retains some of the challenge of the classics.