OCR NYC Meetup August 2nd Coney Island!

Bahamut

August 2nd NYC Meetup @ Coney Island!

Meeting Place: Not Coney Island and not at the original Nathan's ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Nathan's+Coney+Island++New+York,+NY&ie=UTF8&ll=40.575532,-73.981719&spn=0.015255,0.026779&z=15&iwloc=C )

Meeting time: Noon?

Instructions:

For those coming from Long Island and via LIRR, the best way to get to Coney Island, your best bet is making it to the Flatbush Ave. stop on the LIRR (a transfer may be necessary at Jamaica). From here, you can take a number of subways to get to Coney Island, notably the N and Q both end there, and I think both the B & D stop there as well.

For those coming from elsewhere, such as New Jersey or Westchester County, your best public transportation option is to get into Port Authority/Penn Station/Grand Central, and then make your way to the N or Q train towards downtown (at Grand Central you would need to take the S to get to them, but for the two former locations you can board the N or Q right from those places).

Stuff to do: I've never really been inside of Coney Island myself, so it'll be a first for me. It does feature amusement park rides such as a rollercoaster and ferris wheel, so there should be plenty to do. I'm not sure how much it will cost, but I'd bring at least $50 for insurance (hopefully the expenditures for the day will be less). If someone wants to host a sleepover, they should chime in since that'd be a nice bonus. If someone knows of places to go around the area, also mention them! (i.e. dinner or something else in the night. Being that it's Saturday in the city, there has got to be other things going on if we happen to exhaust stuff to do in Coney Island)

Definites

Bahamut

PassivePretentiousness

José the Bronx Rican

Tentatives

Atmuh

oh damn you don't have to schedule a meet around my dumbass... It's just the last few have been right before new years (if I remember correctly), that's why it's always hell for me. But it seems more NYers are available around that time. Besides, it's already July, some of these things are planned months in advance. Planning one for this month might be a bit difficult with the short notice and vacations and all.

Whatever the case, next time the NY one happens I'll try my best to be there. And Dan better not fall out of a damn tree this time!

Don't make it too soon. Give some people some time to schedule things if they need to take a day off or something of that nature. Preferably, schedule it for the 26th at the earliest. If later, then I think that's all the better for people to make accommodations for the trip up here, especially if they don't live too close. It's just a good idea not to rush things.

I'll probably go to a NYC meet up as it only really takes me 5 dollars to get to Grand Central Station. I do have plans here and there in July though.

oh damn you don't have to schedule a meet around my dumbass... It's just the last few have been right before new years (if I remember correctly), that's why it's always hell for me. But it seems more NYers are available around that time. Besides, it's already July, some of these things are planned months in advance. Planning one for this month might be a bit difficult with the short notice and vacations and all.

Whatever the case, next time the NY one happens I'll try my best to be there. And Dan better not fall out of a damn tree this time!

Well, we did have a smallish meetup last summer in NYC too - it'd be nice to have something with more people around the city, and I've pondered the idea before.

It takes a long time to get to Coney Island from Canal St. N or Q are the best. Read a book on the way there or just take a nap. I do not have good memories of the place since about a month ago. But I didn't do much there. The important thing is to be prepared because of the jacked up prices they have near the beach. Also the Popeye's serves very small wings. =\

@ Jarvi: There's going to be another one hopefully at the end of the year.

It takes a long time to get to Coney Island from Canal St. N or Q are the best. Read a book on the way there or just take a nap. I do not have good memories of the place since about a month ago. But I didn't do much there. The important thing is to be prepared because of the jacked up prices they have near the beach. Also the Popeye's serves very small wings. =\

@ Jarvi: There's going to be another one hopefully at the end of the year.

Yeah, the prices appeared to be jacked up on my brief appearance there last night - of course almost everyone should know one of the main draws there is the original Nathan's. This particular Nathan's also has beer - saw Killian's for $2.75 there, and they had a few others. Those prices beat out beer in most places in the city.

It looks like the best way for you to get there is to get to the Flatbush Ave. stop (might need to transfer at Jamaica? The Flatbush Ave. stop is by the Atlantic Ave./Flatbush Ave. subway station), and then pick your poison.

no u.

this is complicated enough dealing without public transportationary. I demand line by line directions; otherwise, I refuse to go unless someone who understands NYC like atma or dagney taggart to drags me around.