Worst game music

lazygecko

After browsing numerous forums and watching "best game music" threads pop up every month with the same shit listed over and over, I thought I'd make an effort to catalouge the worst aural offenders in games. Once I have enough material I'll pick the 10 worst ones and make a fancy YouTube presentation.

So far my nominees are:

A Boy and his Blob: This makes Banana Phone sound like Chopin.

Cruis'n USA: Would have picked Daytona USA, but the constipated Elvis impersonator trumps it on every level.

Mega Man 2 (Game Boy): I have no idea if the composer intentionally tried to pursue some avant garde disharmonic statement here.

Doom (32x): I know it's not easy to get the most out of the YM chip, but this sounds just like they hastily ran the MIDI files through a converter and didn't even bother to manually touch them up afterwards. Which makes sense given that the entire game was one big rush job.

There is lots to pick from some of the post-16bit Sega games, but I don't want them stealing too much thunder so I'd have to settle for just one or two. There's plenty of horrid Nu Metal shit from the Sonic games.

In my humble opinion, the coveted title of crappiest video game contenders are:

Captain Novolin - Main Theme:

I do realize that this whole game is vomit painted with crap and then shoved into a can, but the title music is both dissonant and cliched. Then again, it is a game about diabetic superheroes...

Zoop:

It's not so much quality as quantity. There's about 8 bars of simple tune that loop over...and over...and over. Although one could argue Tetris is like that, Russian folk tunes are catchy. Zoop...not so much.

I don't know if you'd count Donkey Kong (the arcade) as music, but that stupid sound was really annoying after a minute. Like Zoop, but shorter.

That's all I've got for now.

A Boy and his Blob: This makes Banana Phone sound like Chopin.

Oh man, I love that music. Except for the fact that it's just one song for the whole game.

I nominate Rhapsody. While the music is entertaining (to say the least) listening to "Someday" for too long may result in bleeding ears.

All of the music from Sword of Mana, but mostly because I have perfect pitch and the soundchip was somewhere between an eighth and a quarter step flat.

Drove me nuts, it did.

arrrrr

Mega Man 2 (Game Boy): I have no idea if the composer intentionally tried to pursue some avant garde disharmonic statement here.

I take offense to that.

(Though to be sure, I'll just give it a quick onceover)

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM l

I agree with yoshi's story, damn this sounds so off.

Fantasy zone 2, yeah that sounds bad too

Rygar had a kickass song in the first screen, but then it gets worst lol

Krusty's fun house, omg...it's like a bad remake of an old ninja turtles theme.

There's the Besaid Island theme from FFX...I really like the song now because of one point that sounds great, but most of the song, there's a bass sound that's so off key all the time, yuk.

Deadly Towers was another gem.

Basically, you have to destroy 8 bells in 8 DEADLY TOWERS. And each tower has its own song (once you get to the tower areas). What's sooo bizzare about this game is that some of the songs have kick-ass riffs, and others are just groin-grabbingly bad... to the point where you wonder if the cat just walked across the keys and the composer was like, "Huh... good enough!"

This video is a speed run that goes through all the towers. I encourage a sit through of the whole thing (only 9 minutes)

edit: guess it doesn't contain all the music, but it's a great cross section of the game's WTF musical direction

Yoshi's Story may not be great music, but that does not make it bad. I think some people are just bitter Story didn't live up to Island's shoes.

You want bad music, well to hear it, you're gonna need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDR-sV2mN-4&feature=related

I also wish to defend Krusty's Fun House, it didn't sound quite as bad on the Genesis. Again simple lack of greatness is not a measure of atrocity.