Worst game music

lazygecko

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM

I always thought that was just some sort of glitch in my copy...

There was a way craptabulous game called Barnyard Fun for the Atari 2600. This game could give a brick tinnitus...Jesus, it's so loud! That, and it sounds like a child's toy piano being played...well, by a child. I kid you not: one time, my lawnmower was on the fritz, and the stupid static noise sounded just like that. So, add a small toddler playing on a Fisher-Price toy piano and a screwed-up lawnmower, and you have...

WARNING: IT'S REALLY FREAKIN' LOUD!!

Oh, and just to bring this back up: Captain Novolin's theme song. Grab a hankie before listening to this - it's brutal. Pay attention to the uber-ass-tastic beginning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H580n3fbk60

C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Cheetah men 2

Which managed to spawn some rather incredible flights of fancy:

Piano Arrangement

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hcg7cDc3_is&feature=related

Delay-Lama Arrangement (there used to be an even cooler Delay-lama, but it was removed "from violations of terms of service" :( )

Vomitorium remix

Cheetah Girl remix (personal favorite of the bunch)

There are perhaps dozens of these things floating around youtube. The previous few represent, what I believe are the more stunning specimens, but do explore on your own and see what you can fine.

Doot-de-doot, be-dah!

Savage (Amiga)

I think Savage doubles up as simultaneously the WORST and BEST video game music. It's just so insane. It's become a bit of a meme to some over at the shizz. I've been getting voice mail of this music blasting... (savage roll'd). It also doesn't help that the level two music has inappropriate vocal samples hidden in it, like "blowjob" and "eat me". You can download the soundtrack here.

Elevator Action (NES)

Now I know this game was made in the early days for it's system, and sometimes you don't really need anything but a simple and catchy repeating melody for old school arcade-like games, but this music sucks! Earlier titles for the NES knew how to use more than just one sound channel for the BGM, and if minimalism was a goal, it just wasn't pulled off well. To add to the awkwardness, try tapping your foot or counting along to this abomination.

It drops an eighth note at one point. So herky jerky...

Heavy Shreddin' (NES)

BadVGM_01_HS.gif

http://www.zshare.net/audio/146264421ad180e1/ (streaming mp3)

Quite possibly the worst sequencing of drum fills I've heard in vgm. It sounds like they were trying to emulate a live drummer who sucked. It of course has some other problems too...

Did anyone ever grow up on one of those primitive kids' keyboards that had a "record" option? The kind that'd play back the last melody you played, only everything would be synced to the nearest 16th or 8th note whatever and always sounded wrong? This whole thing kind of sounds like that.

Savage (Amiga)

I think Savage doubles up as simultaneously the WORST and BEST video game music. It's just so insane. It's become a bit of a meme to some over at the shizz. I've been getting voice mail of this music blasting... (savage roll'd). It also doesn't help that the level two music has inappropriate vocal samples hidden in it' date=' like "blowjob" and "eat me". You can download the soundtrack here.

Ah, I never knew Prince tried to do some VGM work.

Ok, so I was playin FFX last night, and I got to the whole Tidus/Yuna makeout-in-the-river part, and MAN the lady who sang the Yuna's Theme arrangement there is horrible. She randomly flats out on the simplest notes! Maybe that's how they do it Japan, I dunno, but it sure hurt my ears...