Chrono Trigger DS

I'm so excited for this. I haven't played Chrono Trigger, but the hype generated on this site for it (and it's soundtrack) is immense. I almost want to play the game just so I can enjoy the endless CT remixes on this site---and the Chrono Symphonic album that I haven't downloaded. Plus, it's supposed to be amazing. Duh.

I know Square-Enix is getting a lot of flak lately for putting out a ton of old games on new consoles, but I'm extremely thankful they did. Without them, I would have never played Final Fantasy 1-6. Sega also had a Phantasy Star collection released on the GBA. I'm still looking for it (new, not used), but I'm having trouble. I also missed out on the Shining Force and Breath of Fire ports. Still pretty depressed about that. Basically, I'm in love with these RPG ports to the handhelds. So sue me. Maybe the Lunar games and Star Ocean games will be next.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2008/070208a.html

"Chrono Trigger DS will feature the classic multiple endings that it is famous for and will be unchanged at its core. Yasunori Mitsuda's score will return as will Akira Toriyama's character designs. The new additions to this version are dual screen presentation, touch screen functionality, a brand new dungeon, and an unspecified wireless play mode."

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2008/070208a.html

"Chrono Trigger DS will feature the classic multiple endings that it is famous for and will be unchanged at its core. Yasunori Mitsuda's score will return as will Akira Toriyama's character designs. The new additions to this version are dual screen presentation, touch screen functionality, a brand new dungeon, and an unspecified wireless play mode."

Which means this is exactly the same as the FF Advance ports, but with constant map and/or menu display on the bottom and stylus control for menus. Big whoop.

And I guarantee that wireless play is at most a battle mode; more likely some kind of crappy trade and/or messaging system akin to Moogle mail.

dual screen presentation

so what

touch screen functionality

so what

a brand new dungeon

i suppose thatll be REALLY WONDERFUL like the all the final fantasy extra ones in the remakes

an unspecified wireless play mode

lets send letters to each other guys

A port would be fine as long as the load times were the same as the snes version. I don't have the game anymore and occasionally want to play it, so it's great news. I love portable systems and 2d, so it all works out for me. :-)

You and the tons of younger people who never had the chance to own and/or play the game are their target audience, basically. And the DS uses carts just like the SNES, so you're probably safe on the load times (the FF Advance games had no trouble, anyway).

Hmm... As much as I love CT, those "extra's" don't sound too special to me. WiFi? What are they going to do with that... probably some minigames or something. And I'm always sceptical when I see "touchscreen functionality"... Or dual screen presentation, probably just stats or anything.

I don't know, still happy with my SNES version of the game

I don't care that it's just a port. My big selling point is that I can play it on a portable system without having to hack a PSP or DS. I mostly don't play my portables at home (except for the occasional Planet Puzzle League while the wife is watching TV).

Anyway, this is awesome news. I just hope that the sound will be emulated properly. Some parts in FFVI Advance had me cringing. But of course they'll be using the DS's sound chip as opposed to the GBA's sound chip so hopefully there's nothing to worry about regarding that.

I just hope that the sound will be emulated properly. Some parts in FFVI Advance had me cringing. But of course they'll be using the DS's sound chip as opposed to the GBA's sound chip so hopefully there's nothing to worry about regarding that.

Time to pull a Darkesword.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff4ds/ff4dsimp.html

The music, however, suffers from the DS' limitations. Generally, the more orchestrated and grandiose a piece is, such as the music in the introduction video, the more muffled and awful it sounds. Simpler pieces, like the dungeon music "In the Darkness" and the pretty "Theme of Love" fare better. Either way, all of the sound is significantly improved over the dreadful music in the GBA version.

I don't know how this info will match up against CT, but at least it's something to go on.

....Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. *headdesk*

The ONE, not one of not a game the ONLY friggin game that might of made me consider buying a DS comes out.

I am not a DS hater. I just dont play handhelds too often only one i ever owned was a sega game gear. Guess its time to actually get one.

You newbies who wonder what all the fuss is about are about to get a wakeup call on just how good games could be back before playstation.

People wonder why some trash gaming companies. This is one of the benchmark games that people compare all successors to. It is still for me one of the top all time games.

This is good news. Hopefully this port will bring this niche title to a new audience, which with luck will translate into remixes for the site. It's about time we got a few tunes for this underappreciated game that is disappointingly under-represented at OCR.

am i the only one that rofled

I didnt even see that.

Need we link this guy to Chrono Symphonic that this site hosts?

Though that one aside there arent really THAT (i can think of 6) many compared to FF and a couple others

or maybe we can link him to the 81 remixes that are on here which is way more than anything else