Chrono Trigger DS

What would be cool to see, would be a port+extras or remake of Secret of Mana, with wifi for multiplayer, bottom screen used to allow on-the-fly menu navigation so that the gameplay isnt broken up, and bug fixes for the various glitches in the game. What I'd love to see, though I don't know if the data is even still around, is for some of the cut content to be reinserted in the game. For those unaware, SoM was originally to be a SNES CD game, and when they put it on cart instead they had to cut content. Some sources have said up to 40% of the game's content was removed or edited in some way.

At the very least, it'd be cool if they made the Lunar Palace a full dungeon (and maybe put in a chest and a boss that could drop the missing Glove and Axe Orbs).

What would be cool to see, would be a port+extras or remake of Secret of Mana, with wifi for multiplayer, bottom screen used to allow on-the-fly menu navigation so that the gameplay isnt broken up, and bug fixes for the various glitches in the game. What I'd love to see, though I don't know if the data is even still around, is for some of the cut content to be reinserted in the game. For those unaware, SoM was originally to be a SNES CD game, and when they put it on cart instead they had to cut content. Some sources have said up to 40% of the game's content was removed or edited in some way.

At the very least, it'd be cool if they made the Lunar Palace a full dungeon (and maybe put in a chest and a boss that could drop the missing Glove and Axe Orbs).

Game needs a serious script retranslation if they do it (one much like FFT PSP received). The dialogue and text is so full of errors and simple writing that it sucks all the enjoyment out of the game for me.

Technically, all the FF Advance games were graphical improvements over the originals. They certainly weren't as substantial as 2D to 3D, but they were smoothed out. Perhaps the most obvious was the redone profile pictures. Looked prettier to me, anyway. Yet the FF remakes for the PSP have been lambasted as being the same thing over again, even though it's a serious step up from the original (and even Dawn of Souls) both graphics and sound wise. They have new magic and a new dungeon with plenty of new bosses. That sounds like most of the checks on the list and it doesn't require recoding the entire game.

It's the fact that you have to use "technically" with regard to FF Advance's "improvements" that means they're obviously not remade. I don't know about FF1 and 2 on the PSP because I don't have a PSP. If they're as different as the FFT remake in terms of the translation and cutscenes, I'd say they're worthy remakes as long as they don't suffer from the same animation slowdown.

The deal is, all claims of "graphics whoring" aside, the jump from 2D to 3D is a very substantial thing. It can completely change the presentation of each and every scene in the game. Just take a look at some of the classic scenes that have been entirely revamped in FFIV for a wholly different feel. It doesn't change the story much (although there are quite a few new scenes that add some minorly important details from what I hear), but the overall product, the game itself, feels like a new entity. And this isn't even taking into account what they've done for the actual gameplay.

The main reason I wouldn't call this CTDS thing (and for that matter, the FF Advance games) remakes is that nothing they add change the game itself. So they gave us new profile sprites. Big whoop (P.S.: Rosa is fugly). They add one new dungeon, which is tacked on to the very end of the game with little purpose. That, my friends, smacks of expansion pack, not remake. And tell me, would you feel happy if Blizzard released an expansion pack to one of their games with new content that amounted to about 5% of the original game in length/size, then charged full price for it? All I'm saying is, there is no way these games are intended for the same audience as FFIII and FFIV DS.

You know what i'd be even more excited for than CT on the DS.

Secret of Mana. Or even Seiken Densetsu 3.

What I always thought would be really crazy is a Chrono Trigger remake with Secret of Mana style combat (with the double and triple techs worked in somehow) and multiplayer.

Genre-shifting is dangerous, especially with remakes. Just look at all the hate in the Castlevania: Wii page--then multiply it by two for being a remake and then multiply it by the number of Chrono Trigger remixes divided by the number of Castlevania remixes.

Chrono Trigger could do with a little modification though. The game had strong leanings towards a tactical RPG when it was first made: many of the attacks had specified ranges and specific AOEs that came in a variety of shapes. The one thing that CT lacked was control over movement in battle. The monsters ambled around in a mostly random pattern, and your characters stood there until used. I'd appreciate being able to tell characters to spend a bit of time going one way or another. And maybe something to encourage the melee characters to close with their enemies.

But nothing too extensive with movement. If characters were given too much freedom in battle, the game would become very much like FFXII (I love the game, but when I want to play FFXII I play FFXII). Also, nothing that requires it to be the character's turn to move; that would start turning the game into FF-Tactics with characters taking a long time on their turn. Just tap a character, and tap where you want them to start heading--and the game is still perfectly beatable without using any movement.

Man, I love how The Coop can keep his cool no matter who says what. I gotta learn to be like that.

So, who here played Chrono Trigger for the first time in a gaming generation that was later than the one it was released in, and what did you think of it? I played it shortly after it came out and loved it and can still enjoy playing it today. But part of the enjoyment could be coming from the nostalgia of it. But if someone played it for the first time during the PS1 era, (or even better, the PS2 or 3 era) and loved it, wouldn't that be a good measure of whether it's being overrated or not?

So did anyone here play Chrono Trigger for the first time during the PS2 generation?

Game needs a serious script retranslation if they do it (one much like FFT PSP received). The dialogue and text is so full of errors and simple writing that it sucks all the enjoyment out of the game for me.

and

Chrono Trigger could do with a little modification though. The game had strong leanings towards a tactical RPG when it was first made: many of the attacks had specified ranges and specific AOEs that came in a variety of shapes. The one thing that CT lacked was control over movement in battle. The monsters ambled around in a mostly random pattern, and your characters stood there until used. I'd appreciate being able to tell characters to spend a bit of time going one way or another. And maybe something to encourage the melee characters to close with their enemies.

But nothing too extensive with movement. If characters were given too much freedom in battle, the game would become very much like FFXII (I love the game, but when I want to play FFXII I play FFXII). Also, nothing that requires it to be the character's turn to move; that would start turning the game into FF-Tactics with characters taking a long time on their turn. Just tap a character, and tap where you want them to start heading--and the game is still perfectly beatable without using any movement.

I agree with.

The first is just a property of old translation work compiled with time restraints, people working on it (Woosley prolly had headaches each night), and space restrictions (which even modern games have, though I mostly blame this on Japan not bothering to fully consider languages that don't use one space per syllable). I'm not entirely sure how I'll feel with FFIV(DS)'s new script, but it'll still be a more recent, and official, new markup of the Japanese text (which, in FFIV's case, has been modded to whatever degree). I've gotten a bit into the fan retranslation, as I mentioned, but with this news, I'll prolly just stick it out until I can play it (which, with the graphics style and type being similar, if not the same, would preserve whatever feeling playing the "original" would imbue).

The second I don't know too much about, but I played long enough to notice the lack of movement. The suggestion of tap-to-direct movement sounds 'genious' to me. It's such simple matters as that that make me feel CT would be great for NDS.

And, again, there's the point of those who haven't played or can't/won't get their hands on it for whatever reasons. My main case for these "remakes"/"enhanced ports" will always be the translation(s) above all.

FTR: cater[chi]pillars > FFIVA(EU) > FFIVA(NA), in terms of bugginess. If I could have my way, 20th Anniversary versions would be made of FFIVA, FFVA, and FFVIA in the vein of FFI and FFII. FFI&IIDOS works smoothly, and to get a similar working for the golden age of FF to accompany the three-dimension reworkings of said members would cover any and all bases (plus, the PS1 FMVs, sub-par as FFIV's let's-use-it-for-this FMV(s) was, wouldn't be to relative waste).

EDIT: CHIPP's post weresn't thar when I hit Post... I'unno, the music is a definite good point (singing mecha-cat-bot!), the graphics are solid (DBZ is epitomous, but CT seems distinct, not to mention the quality of the spritage), and the game seems pretty good on control execution, though a keyboard's not the best thing for that (as Super Metroid forced me to know).

So, who here played Chrono Trigger for the first time in a gaming generation that was later than the one it was released in, and what did you think of it? I played it shortly after it came out and loved it and can still enjoy playing it today. But part of the enjoyment could be coming from the nostalgia of it. But if someone played it for the first time during the PS1 era, (or even better, the PS2 or 3 era) and loved it, wouldn't that be a good measure of whether it's being overrated or not?

So did anyone here play Chrono Trigger for the first time during the PS2 generation?

I'm from Spain, so Chrono Trigger was not sold around here, and also I did not have a SNES. It was around year 2000 that I finally managed to play Chrono Trigger via emulator (the only way I could play many classics), and I still think it's one of the best japanese RPGs ever made (along with Panzer Dragoon Saga, for different reasons). I don't usually enjoy that genre anymore, but still think those two games are some of the few that are truly worth it. I guess that's saying something.

I didn't play it until 2003, on *ahem* emulator, but I loved it immensely.

It really is the perfect RPG, with nary one annoyance I can speak of. Characters, story, battles, progression... all great and polished to a sheen.

At the time I compared it to Final Fantasy's little sibling: Not as serious or heavy, doesn't quite have love down yet, but boy does it know how to have a good time...

I have a love for retro games in general, mind you, but that was my first time experiencing it so my view in untainted.

Genre-shifting is dangerous, especially with remakes. Just look at all the hate in the Castlevania: Wii page--then multiply it by two for being a remake and then multiply it by the number of Chrono Trigger remixes divided by the number of Castlevania remixes.

Word; but by the same token, I wouldn't mind a Chrono Tactics spin-off game. :tomatoface:

Man, I love how The Coop can keep his cool no matter who says what. I gotta learn to be like that.

Me. I got to the prehistoric era and got bored out of my mind and stopped. Then again, it seems the only RPG's I can do anything with are portable ones - I couldn't finish FF5 or 6 until they hit the GBA, either.

I hate to say it because I feel like I'm going against the grain, but I picked it up as soon as it came out years ago (on SNES dammit - screw this PS1 bullshit!!) and played through the whole thing. And I triiiied to like it, but for some reason, never really got into it. I think I played through the entire thing asking myself when it was going to get good, and I don't know why. It certainly wasn't terrible - but the story, the characters, they didn't really grab me at all. It looked / sounded great and it was fun to play, but I can't say I've ever really understood what all the hype was about.

Maybe I'm just not an RPG guy. Didn't care too much for FF7 or 8, despite all the excitement around those. Probably the only RPGs I only really liked were FF6, Xenogears, Super Mario RPG, and on the tactics side Vandal Hearts.

All the others I've tried required me to keep trying to convince myself I wasn't getting bored playing them...

I hate to say it because I feel like I'm going against the grain, but I picked it up as soon as it came out years ago (on SNES dammit - screw this PS1 bullshit!!) and played through the whole thing. And I triiiied to like it, but for some reason, never really got into it. I think I played through the entire thing asking myself when it was going to get good, and I don't know why. It certainly wasn't terrible - but the story, the characters, they didn't really grab me at all. It looked / sounded great and it was fun to play, but I can't say I've ever really understood what all the hype was about.

Maybe I'm just not an RPG guy. Didn't care too much for FF7 or 8, despite all the excitement around those. Probably the only RPGs I only really liked were FF6, Xenogears, Super Mario RPG, and on the tactics side Vandal Hearts.

All the others I've tried required me to keep trying to convince myself I wasn't getting bored playing them...

You do know you are allowed to not like games right?

And you don't need to justify yourself.

RPGs are a genre that appeales to specific people, it's perfectly natural for people to not enjoy them.

You do know you are allowed to not like games right?

And you don't need to justify yourself.

RPGs are a genre that appeales to specific people, it's perfectly natural for people to not enjoy them.

Lol nah I know, I just sometimes feel like I'm missing something here. It's like I wish I was as pumped about CT as everyone else is. There's so many fans of the damn thing I'm wondering what the hell I missed in it.

I also think that RPGS require a level of patience and time dedication that I can't possibly invest these days. In the time it takes you to finish one RPG, you could watch some 25-30 full length movies! I find it hard enough to watch 1 or 2 movies these days, so unfortunately playing one game for 50-60 hours just doesn't make sense anymore.

I wish they had short versions of RPGs. Just accelerate the gameplay and show me the story elements quickly. Shit - if you could fast forward long battles and grinding, most RPGs could be half as long.

I didn't play it until 2003, on *ahem* emulator, but I loved it immensely.

It really is the perfect RPG, with nary one annoyance I can speak of. Characters, story, battles, progression... all great and polished to a sheen.

At the time I compared it to Final Fantasy's little sibling: Not as serious or heavy, doesn't quite have love down yet, but boy does it know how to have a good time...

I think for me it was 2000, but the story is essentially the same. Though I didn't come up with the little sister comparison, and it is fantastic.

HATE!!!!!!!

Nah, it just seems like you're not as patient as some of us. Personally, I don't mind sinking 20, 30, 40 hours into a single game in order to get everything out of it. Others just want a shorter experience. Of course, I also play platform, rhythm and puzzle games (which require less time) to balance it out.

Naw, man, you're cool. You know, I'm not really an RPG person myself, but about Chrono Trigger, what made the game interesting to me was the suspense. Also, I noticed how unique and artistic it was, which made it harder for me to appreciate a lot of other RPG/RPG-ish games (except Fire Emblem and Zelda, which do NOT have cookie-cutter fighting systems. Besides, Zelda isn't purely RPG; it's more on the adventure side). It seemed to convey a strong sense of art, strategy, challenge and mystery. Still, I'm not surprised that it didn't grab others the way that it grabbed me.

Edit: Oh, btw, I forgot about SMRPG! Yah, you've got taste, my friend, lol!

This message is hidden because Dhsu is on your ignore list.

I'm a man; no more immature bullshit.

I can def see where some of the nay sayers about the game are coming from. I really didn't care for the prehistoric and futuristic sections of the game. Although Zeal was just about the best thing ever and the middle ages portions. Time traveling and always goin through different stages of the world always kept things flowing. A bunch of smaller stories all combining to make a bigger one.

Back in 95 when I first played it; it was def kick ass and had an absolutely incredible level of polish all the way around. The battle system for a game made in 95 felt very interactive and fun to play. I def won't be buying this as I still have the original and the PS1 version.

Me. I got to the prehistoric era and got bored out of my mind and stopped.

This is pretty much the game's weakest era, IMO. It's important to the story, but the monsters and fights aren't particularly fun, and it's very hard to care about the cavemen beyond Ayla, I found. Most of the other eras are interesting with more developed characters and subplots, but the prehistory era feels notably bare by comparison. I guess it's really hard to compete to a wartorn medieval era, the post-apocalyptic future, and the dystopian era of a mageocracy.

This is pretty much the game's weakest era, IMO. It's important to the story, but the monsters and fights aren't particularly fun, and it's very hard to care about the cavemen beyond Ayla, I found. Most of the other eras are interesting with more developed characters and subplots, but the prehistory era feels notably bare by comparison. I guess it's really hard to compete to a wartorn medieval era, the post-apocalyptic future, and the dystopian era of a mageocracy.

The prehistoric part was mostly annoying IMO, but the Alien/Black Tyrano fight made up for it (once again, IMO).