Chrono Trigger DS

Not one person, not even SE themselves in any way, has "asked" you to buy anything. There has not been one advertisement of any kind. Just one short clip of a video on a page of their site, which you have to personally click the link to.

Do companies beam commercials into your mind while you sleep? :roll:

There are also lots of people who:

1. Have never played Chrono Trigger;

2. Have not played it in many years;

3. No longer have their cartridge or SNES (or even the PS1 version)

4. Would like to play it (either again, or for the first time)

So complaining about a port of a game that you've played over and over is what's illogical. While you were busting through the game for the hundredth time, maybe some of us were doing other things, like working, or school, or anything that wasn't playing this game to death.

That's who this game is aimed at: people who haven't played in a long time, and would like to play it again. They can be young, old, new or experience gamers. They just want to play it, and that's all the reason they need to get it.

Your whining is tiring, go troll somewhere else.

Not one person, not even SE themselves in any way, has "asked" you to buy anything.

Yeah I am pretty sure that if they make something that they probably would like if I bought it I mean they have to eat and stuff you know

1. Have never played Chrono Trigger;

2. Have not played it in many years;

3. No longer have their cartridge or SNES (or even the PS1 version)

4. Would like to play it (either again, or for the first time)

All of these problems can be remedied by getting the ROM

However, that would mean no money for Squeenix, and they can't really sell a SNES game

So instead of making a new game

They sell an old one for a new system

Bam pow, money in the pockets

Your whining is tiring, go troll somewhere else.

It was scientifically proven about two years ago that people who still use the word 'troll' as an insult on the internet are also quite fond of the cock

Wow, gay joke. So, you must be fond of taking it up the ass then. :<

Yes, they like to have people buy their games. They're a business.

Where is it written that a game company is not allowed to sell games they already made? Or that they can't make money?

And yes, they can't sell SNES carts anymore. No shit. So they sell their games on what systems are currently available.

As for advocating ROM use... You may have an original copy, but not many other do. So they should download the game and screw the company that made it over? I have no love for Square, but that's just stupid.

Where is it written that a game company is not allowed to sell games they already made?

When more than half of gamers (read: their customers) disagree strongly with the practice, that should be enough of a hint

So they should download the game and screw the company that made it over? I have no love for Square, but that's just stupid.

If downloading the ROM of Cnornc Tqwiagr had a serious impact on how much money Square was making I am pretty sure they'd be out of business by now

Logic dictates that they do not make any more money off of a game that they no longer sell, so downloading the ROM only makes them all butthurt and doesn't do any real damage

I have just been informed by a friend reading this thread that I am breaking a personal rule regarding internet forum arguments. Namely, that I'm actively involved in one.

This is an extension of the rule regarding posts about anime conventions (some of you may remember that thread... not my best day), and as per my deal with him, I will now stop posting for one full day.

I am sorry for letting my behavior go this far. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and it was wrong of me to argue for the sake of arguing.

Bleck, I may not like you or anything you said, but please just let it end now. To everyone else, I'm sorry for stirring up shit and flooding the topic.

Chrono Trigger is serious business.

Seriously, I can see not buying this for a few reasons, but there is definitely a market for a port of one of the most popular 16-bit RPGs for the most popular portable system. I already have a cart as well, but it's thousands of miles from me right now. If I had an inkling to play through it again, which I don't, the DS port would be the best option. Personally I'd rather have a port than a 2D remake, though a 3D remake for DS like SE has been doing with the FF games would be ideal. Guess there isn't a big enough market in Japan for such a thing.

And it's not like Square is bad as Nintendo when it comes to ports. Most of the old games they rerelease are total remakes, and the PS1 ports were sold as compilations so they were a pretty good deal. CT was one of those games that were graphically appealing enough to justify a straight port.

Bleck, stop being retarded. SE releasing this port does not hurt you, unless you are somehow allergic to companies continuing to make money off their successful products?

Look, a good deal of people who are going to buy this game wouldn't download a ROM of it because they are not into or aware of emulation, or do not care for playing console/portable games with a keyboard, or have an issue with breaking the law (whether you agree with that law or not). Squenix is well within their rights to make it available to those people through legimiate, profitable channels. So, coming from someone who is equally as unimpressed with this move as you, stop your whining. You're doing it wrong, anyway.

Internet experience dictates that if someone has to lace their argumentative post with insults, it's because they subconciously know they have a weak argument.

That being said;

SE releasing this port does not hurt you, unless you are somehow allergic to companies continuing to make money off their successful products?

Releasing this port guarantees that instead of focusing time into making something new (read: Chrono Break) they can just milk all of their old products (read: the steady flow of remakes over the past five years) whilst still make obscene amounts of money. If you ask most gamers, I am quite sure they'll agree that having a third entry in the series is a much better alternative than playing through Chrono Trigger again.

Internet experience dictates that if someone has to lace their argumentative post with insults, it's because they subconciously know they have a weak argument.

That being said;

Releasing this port guarantees that instead of focusing time into making something new (read: Chrono Break) they can just milk all of their old products (read: the steady flow of remakes over the past five years) whilst still make obscene amounts of money. If you ask most gamers, I am quite sure they'll agree that having a third entry in the series is a much better alternative than playing through Chrono Trigger again.

I didn't have to lace anything with insults. I just felt compelled to inform you that you are the village idiot because I doubt you would notice otherwise.

"That being said;" (which doesn't even make sense syntactically omg wtf why would you end a paragraph with a semicolon)

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, how much time do you honestly think this product takes up? The game is already made, and from a programming standpoint it takes almost zip effort to incorporate the cookie cutter features that have already been perfected in countless other ports of similar caliber. At most they tie up a localization team for a new translation. And do you honestly think they make obscene amounts of money on a game that, as you claim, "most gamers" are hardly interested in purchasing? Even if they do, it clearly proves that the game does have a niche to fill (which The Damned has already explained to you so damn thoroughly), so you can't fault the company.

Look, don't get me wrong. I want another Chrono game as much as anyone. Hell, I called myself chronotriggerfreak for several years. But I'm not going to suggest that the company I want to make the game should do so either exclusively or before they are ready. The first would result in bankruptcy, and the second would result in a terrible game I wouldn't want to play anyway. So let the company make money how it wants, and let the people who want to enjoy this game enjoy it.

I didn't have to lace anything with insults. I just felt compelled to inform you that you are the village idiot because I doubt you would notice otherwise.

Oh well thank you!

"That being said;" (which doesn't even make sense syntactically omg wtf why would you end a paragraph with a semicolon)

I am quite sure that wasn't the end of the paragraph - it tied off into a quote, said Count Bleck!

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, how much time do you honestly think this product takes up? The game is already made, and from a programming standpoint it takes almost zip effort to incorporate the cookie cutter features that have already been perfected in countless other ports of similar caliber. At most they tie up a localization team for a new translation. And do you honestly think they make obscene amounts of money on a game that, as you claim, "most gamers" are hardly interested in purchasing?

They don't make very much money off of it at all - which is the point I've made several times. So instead of wasting little time on a title that would make them little money, why not just get started on a third one? There is no reason not to - other than laziness and greed, the core compulsions of the entire business strategy of porting games. Which just makes a mockery out of the entire business of video games in general.

Also I guess I will try to even out the ad hominem and call you a huge fagmoose but Count Bleck doesn't really mean it. <3

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, how much time do you honestly think this product takes up? The game is already made, and from a programming standpoint it takes almost zip effort to incorporate the cookie cutter features that have already been perfected in countless other ports of similar caliber. At most they tie up a localization team for a new translation. And do you honestly think they make obscene amounts of money on a game that, as you claim, "most gamers" are hardly interested in purchasing? Even if they do, it clearly proves that the game does have a niche to fill (which The Damned has already explained to you so damn thoroughly), so you can't fault the company.

Look, don't get me wrong. I want another Chrono game as much as anyone. Hell, I called myself chronotriggerfreak for several years. But I'm not going to suggest that the company I want to make the game should do so either exclusively or before they are ready. The first would result in bankruptcy, and the second would result in a terrible game I wouldn't want to play anyway. So let the company make money how it wants, and let the people who want to enjoy this game enjoy it.

He probably was referring to me, because he brought the argument to IRC and failed at basic logic, so to cover for his inability to form a coherent argument, he wants to look cool. Since it was futile trying to explain something so simple, everyone made fun of him or told him to stfu.

Since it was futile trying to explain something so simple, everyone made fun of him or told him to stfu.

Everyone in this case meaning sadorf and Ferret? Count Bleck laughs at Bahamut - he can be so childish sometimes!

Everyone in this case meaning sadorf and Ferret? Count Bleck laughs at Bahamut - he can be so childish sometimes!

"Most gamers" being you and everyone you know who has actually heard of Chrono Trigger? I hope you can see the parallel here...

Anyway, you ignored a strong point of my argument; would you really want them to force a third Chrono game into existence? I would rather they not make another one than add a terrible installment to the series, and I'm sure you would agree. Besides, what makes you think they haven't been working on it? It could easily take some time to produce something of sufficient quality, and as others have mentioned, who's to say this port isn't a way to bring CT back to the masses in preparation for it? If you make less assumptions, you might see more options here.

P.S.: a colon might be appropriate to introduce the quote in your case, but "That being said" hardly suits the purpose, proper punctuation or not!

If you really want your never-was-gonna-happen Chrono Break to get made, then you have to spend less time bitching about the fifteen minutes SE spent porting it to the DS and more time getting people to buy the DS version so that it might be in SE's interest to make another unnecessary sequel and market it to a target demographic that has very little to no experience with its predecessors.

"Most gamers" being you and everyone you know who has actually heard of Chrono Trigger? I hope you can see the parallel here...

You really think that as soon as IGN started plugging a remake of Chronc Twigaar, a shitload of people didn't find out it was a really good old SNES (read: emulatable) game? Come on, people aren't that stupid.

Anyway, you ignored a strong point of my argument; would you really want them to force a third Chrono game into existence? I would rather they not make another one than add a terrible installment to the series, and I'm sure you would agree.

I did ignore that, I apologize. But frankly, I'm optimistic with the production of games. How are we supposed to know if it's bad or not if they don't even try making it? If it does suck, at least they tried - I'd rather have played Defenders Of The Future then forever linger with the memory of an Ecco 3 in development that never materialized.

rampant fanboyism

Why, yes Murphy! These are nice eyebrows!