Chrono Trigger DS

Specifically.

One one hand, as a long-time fan of the Gameboy, I am pretty familiar with Nintendo's history of releasing new hardware, even if it's just slightly tweaked or given an internal light. And they have held off on announcing new hardware even after being caught red-handed.

But on the other hand, why would a third party studio be given details, and possibly even a mock-up of any new hardware and then be allowed to use it in an ad for their game? It makes little sense, unless they planned this to generate hype and interest before E3.

Nintendo likes to deny things right up to the end, and then act all "well, we were trying to keep it a secret for everyone," when they announce it.

I'd err on the side of caution, and wait a bit more before buying a DS. That way, you will find out if there are any announcements at E3, and you can wait until there's a more specific release date for CT. Patience isn't a bad thing, and waiting gives you the time to save up some moey for buying a DS any way.

It is all wild speculation based on the release date of the DS and PSP as well as competition from other rivals. Both the DS and PSP, though they still have a lot of life in them, are getting old by console standards. By console standards, they should be thinking about their next iteration. However, they are both doing well so it is doubtful. As to a redesign, the system can't get too much smaller. Nothing so drastic as the last dropping of weight.

As to next iterations, I suspect that Sony in it's next iteration will try to regain some ground against Apple. It is a favorite tactic of theirs.

It is all wild speculation based on the release date of the DS and PSP as well as competition from other rivals. Both the DS and PSP, though they still have a lot of life in them, are getting old by console standards. By console standards, they should be thinking about their next iteration. However, they are both doing well so it is doubtful.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Remember the original Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket generation lasted 9 years, 1989-1998.

In any case, watching the chronotrigger.jp trailer today, you could forgive me for thinking this was 1995 and not 2008. I saw/heard absolutely noting to distinguish it from the original except for a slicker clock-pendulum intro. They even reused the 1995 character art and illustrations!

Edit:

As to next iterations, I suspect that Sony in it's next iteration will try to regain some ground against Apple. It is a favorite tactic of theirs.
I assume you mean the iPhone as a gaming platform?

I really don't get why it bothers people that much. Should they have made the GBA twice as big so that GBC games wouldn't stick out?

You can say the same for the DS and GBA games, couldn't you? ;) Cartridges sticking out of systems is the Nintendo way ever since SNES. :D

The fingers on my right hand always go numb when I play DS games for an extended period of time, so I'd really like a handheld that, y'know... fits the contour of my hand, like a controller.

So I, for one, would prefer an even fatter handheld than the DS Fat.

The fingers on my right hand always go numb when I play DS games for an extended period of time, so I'd really like a handheld that, y'know... fits the contour of my hand, like a controller.

So I, for one, would prefer an even fatter handheld than the DS Fat.

Yeah, I have that problem too. I'm hoping that the next generation of handhelds are more ergonomic.

Hence why I like the original DS more than the DS Lite.

I agree that it's annoying, but a better looking system with a brighter and clearer screen wins in my book. I still hate the DS Lite's speakers though. Too weak. Even in my home with the TV on at a lower than moderate volume it's hard to hear the DS Lite's speakers at maximum volume. Especially when playing a GBA game.

I only get numb fingers when using my PSP because the thumbstick is small and shitty and you have to push the R Button down really hard for afterburners when you're trying to play Ace Combat X. :P

As for the DS? No problems with numbness or control. I love my damn Lite, though I wish they had them in Silver like the DS Fats. I had a first gen DS fat in Silver and loved it until the shoulder buttons wore out from overuse. I blame my addiction to Mega Man Zero for that, really.

Anyway, I agree that I'd like the speakers to be a little more powerful, but to do that would probably drain battery life faster and I like the Lite's battery life where it is, especially if you use low backlight settings.

I love my damn Lite, though I wish they had them in Silver like the DS Fats. I had a first gen DS fat in Silver and loved it until the shoulder buttons wore out from overuse.

Go check out the new DS lite that comes bundled with Guitar Hero: On Tour. It has some art on it, but it's silver. The cost is the same as a DS Lite system + GH:OT separately.

You now have 2 more wishes.

I'd err on the side of caution, and wait a bit more before buying a DS. That way, you will find out if there are any announcements at E3, and you can wait until there's a more specific release date for CT. Patience isn't a bad thing, and waiting gives you the time to save up some moey for buying a DS any way.

I'm in a similar situation with the MacBook Pro. Goddam is it irritating with only rumors to go on, but I know that waiting til the redesign will pay off.

To shift the topic back a little bit, I've been thinking about this whole port versus remake business, and I'd like to offer my speculation as to why SE didn't go for a full blown remake.

Every gamer has heard of Final Fantasy. That is basically guaranteed. It's been around since the NES for the older ones and lives strong today in our modern systems. Since the majority of the younger gamers are not retro gamers, the appeal of any FF game pre-FF7 (maybe even later than that) falls flat. Therefore, remaking the game is worth it because it's a series everyone will know and want to buy and a good way to introduce younger gamers to what came before.

Chrono, on the other hand, only lasted across two generations. It amassed a significant underground following but simply isn't the zeppelin that Final Fantasy is. It's a series fewer people are acquainted with, and since no one likes change, I can easily imagine the younger gamers going "The hell is Chrono Trigger?" and not paying a second thought. Since there isn't the name recognition that essentially serves as marketing in place, SE probably doesn't consider it worth their time to appease a comparatively smaller audience.

There you go.

Chrono, on the other hand, only lasted across two generations. It amassed a significant underground following but simply isn't the zeppelin that Final Fantasy is. It's a series fewer people are acquainted with, and since no one likes change, I can easily imagine the younger gamers going "The hell is Chrono Trigger?" and not paying a second thought. Since there isn't the name recognition that essentially serves as marketing in place, SE probably doesn't consider it worth their time to appease a comparatively smaller audience.

That's very true. My brother (28 years old) works with a bunch of 16-20 year old gamers and while they all know the current games and trends, he mentioned this Chrono Trigger remake and none of them knew what he was talking about.

I really don't get why it bothers people that much. Should they have made the GBA twice as big so that GBC games wouldn't stick out?

What's the point in having a slot meant for a GBA games if it has them stick out? I personally would like to have two different games in my DS, and be able to fit it in my pocked without worrying about a cartridge hanging out.

The difference between the DS versus the GBA compatibility with the GBC is the DS games are a new cartridge that can only be played on a DS. Meaning, I can't simply hang onto my GBA and also buy DS games like I could when GBA came out.

That's very true. My brother (28 years old) works with a bunch of 16-20 year old gamers and while they all know the current games and trends, he mentioned this Chrono Trigger remake and none of them knew what he was talking about.

I'm student manager at a dining hall at RIT, and we're open for the summer. I walked by a bunch of my student workers two days ago, about 6 of them, ages 18-21, and said "Chrono Trigger is coming to the DS" and all of them were excited.

I guess it just depends who you are. Because there gamers and then theres RPG gamers.

What's the point in having a slot meant for a GBA games if it has them stick out?

I dunno, being able to play GBA games?

I personally would like to have two different games in my DS, and be able to fit it in my pocked without worrying about a cartridge hanging out.

Why would you worry about it?

The difference between the DS versus the GBA compatibility with the GBC is the DS games are a new cartridge that can only be played on a DS. Meaning, I can't simply hang onto my GBA and also buy DS games like I could when GBA came out.

Wait.

What??

Weren't GBA games a new cartridge that could only be played on a GBA? And you could buy DS games when the GBA came out?? Do you mean you could just hold onto your GBC when the GBA came out? Why can't you just hold onto your GBA now that the DS is out? It's *exactly* the same situation. GBC games stick out of the GBA. GBA games stick out of the DS.

I'll be buying it for the sheer portable goodness of having my first RPG ever with me at all times. Added whatnot or not, it'll be good for ::commence old man voice:: all these young whippersnappers to see where good games came from!::end old man voice::

Added whatnot or not, it'll be good for ::commence old man voice:: all these young whippersnappers to see where good games came from!::end old man voice::

no for that they should play zombies ate my neighbors

ct will just tell them that there was a time when rpgs didnt have hourlong dialogue sessions

no for that they should play zombies ate my neighbors

ct will just tell them that there was a time when rpgs didnt have hourlong dialogue sessions

True, however, I don't see a remake of that on the horizon, which is a damn shame.

And CT telling people that RPGs used to be about the gamer is part of where the 'good games came from' argument.