Chrono Trigger DS

Truthfully, I'm not sure if it'll see a retranslation. Personally, I liked the old script, even with its occasional campy tendencies. It's part of what made it fun. And while I wouldn't disapprove of a little clarification here in there in the dialogue, a full retranslation might cut some of the humor and charm out of the game.

That being said, a lot of people said the same thing about FFVI Advance's retranslation and it actually turned out better except for the omission of "Submariner" in Kefka's angry rant. But personally, I don't think a full retranslation's really necessary. Final Fantasy VI was generally a very serious game, but Chrono Trigger was intended by its creators to be more of a swashbuckling adventure, ripping through time to save the world, and the original translation really was true to that sentiment.

It's ultimately a wait-and-see. Odds are, they'll probably polish some of the translation, but I doubt they'll muck with the whole thing.

Im Itchin to play this. My bro had it for my ps1 CT &FF6? id like to say? the dual case one. Anyways. That game kicked so much ass. I Await to see what new installments there will be..

Anyone know of New Installments? Such as Features Storyline, Battle structure ect..

The two scripts aren't really all that different. The core of everything is there. The biggest differences (beyond obvious name changes) are really just in how Frog speaks and a bit more refined and prevalent series of references to the Planet somehow driving the events in question.

Weren't GBA games a new cartridge that could only be played on a GBA? And you could buy DS games when the GBA came out?? Do you mean you could just hold onto your GBC when the GBA came out? Why can't you just hold onto your GBA now that the DS is out? It's *exactly* the same situation. GBC games stick out of the GBA. GBA games stick out of the DS.

For the record, I hated that about the GBA. But I accepted it.

My complaint is that since it is a port designed to hold and play GBA games, why would they design it to not fit inside properly?

Ugh... what an annoying ad they put in the beginning... I wish there was some filter that got rid of ads in flash media.

Well, that seems to confirm that they will keep the original US names, so that's good. Now to see if they keep the dialog or not.

I do wish they would touch up the spell effects a bit, though. 2D sprites with 3D effects can look really nice. Nothing major, just redo them a bit to look nicer.

So, basically the touch- and dual-screen functionality amounts to... nothing much, as we suspected all along. The new translation sounds like it might be interesting, but even more surprising is this:

While it was not implemented at this point, a Square Enix representative said, there are plans to include the original single-screen version for purists. This will allow players to have the same gameplay experience as the Super Nintendo title.

Makes me wonder just how much of the game has changed. I mean, we didn't get this option on any of the FF Advance ports. Maybe this "new dungeon" makes more of an impact on the progression of the game than we suspected? Or maybe SE just wound up with extra cart space out the ass and couldn't think of anything better to do with it.

Or maybe SE just wound up with extra cart space out the ass and couldn't think of anything better to do with it.

The original SNES ROM of CT was no more than 3 MB in total and you frequently see DS ROMs 50 MB or bigger, so that better be some big-ass dungeon.

I kind of hope that they have several small dungeons in addition to the one large dungeon. Both 65,000,000 and 12,000 BC were a bit lacking in the end-game. And these had better have some plot to them. I would not appreciate it if they were simply warehouses of absurdly difficult monsters.

As to name-changes for Frog: Frog is the more faithful translation of his name, considering the dialog preceding his naming.

Wonder about the extra endings the PS1 version had, too.

You mean the extra ending cutscene, right? There were no new endings (as in results you could get from fighting Lavos) in the PSX version.

Personally I'd like cut tracks like Singing Mountain and Battle 2 to make it back into the game.

There we go. There was indeed a second Boss Battle tune, but no second Battle 2.

I don't know why it's important that those lost tracks come back. They were taken out for a reason. Usually, the battle music switches to indicate different difficulty levels of enemies. Most RPGs have one main battle theme, why would this need two?

If the dungeon they put in is indeed Singing Mountain, then I guess it makes sense to include the track. But otherwise, not really.