FAC - Fan Art Competition 15 - Weapons - VOTING!

atmuh

id like to know who is interested in taking over this compo from now on because this is something that i feel should continue

I'll do it, Atma. I'll do it in your memory.

Alternate post: I'll do it, Atma. I'll do it in your ass.

Lineart: done.

Everything else: frakk...

Submission: soon!

EDIT:

Ah, I was just going by when last month's contest ended - deadline was June 27, which meant 11:59pm of the 27th.

Actually, with the incredibly efficient (lazy) line-drawing technique I just discovered, I'll probably be finished by tomorrow night!

Send me this method you found? PLEASE!? Line-drawing gg's me.

Well, if you've already finished the lineart, it won't help much, but here's what I did:

1) Draw the lines on the paper. (It's ok if there's a lighter drawing underneith it, just make the "final" lines darker). I just used a pencil for this.

2) Scan, adjust contrast.

3) In Photoshop, I added a dark grey Color Dodge layer to remove a lot of the unwanted lighter lines, and a light grey Color Burn layer to darken the wanted lines. Alternatively, you could just fiddle around with the Curves filter.

4) Make a clear layer, and use an incremental/transparent white paintbrush to white-out the remaining unwanted lines. I put this layer underneath the Color Dodge and Color Burn layers, to make the whiting-out look more crisp. I also added and darkened some lines on this layer. If you don't like a change you made, you can use the eraser to undo it!

Depending on how you do it, it still might look a little "sketchy" and unclean... it really depends on the quality/thickness of the lines in your original drawing. Certainly the lines in mine still look like a pencil drawing, but it's a LOT cleaner than my standard FAC fare, which looks like I don't know what an eraser is. I've gotta say, this time the messiness actually fits with the drawing's style and subject matter.

One thing I like about this method is that you can always adjust the line quality on the fly, make all the lines appear thicker/thinner or softer/harder just by tweaking a few things.

200px-Moonmm.jpg

:nicework:

... I'd never thought of using layers to fix the lines... I've always had my parents hide the weapons and put the scan in Levels...

Thanks, that'll really help me out from now on! What I did with this one ( I dunno if I like it ) is use scan in the picture really dark and with high resolution, then use slight Gaussian blur + Smart Sharpen to make it look less pencil-y. We'll see what happens...

I know I only have some hours left, and I haven't drawn anything in... well, since my senior art teacher broke my spirit (but that's another irrelevant story) years ago, but I wanna give it a shot, even if all I can manage is lineart or something.

Seriously guys, this does sound like a lot of fun to me. Just try and throw something together! Trying to make something interesting is better, imo, than putting it off because you don't have the "right conditions" to make it "perfect."

Here's some advice from someone who quit art: if all you care about is making "perfect" pieces or impressing people, then you're sadly misguided. Art is about a freedom of soul and expression. It transcends us... even campy fanart. Artists don't get to decide if they're "good" or what have you... and that's probably for the best.