Catch 22 (USB Keyboard probs)

suzumebachi

I just moved, and I didn't take a mouse or keyboard with me, instead deciding I should get new ones when I get there. So I did. Big mistake, apparently.

My old keyboard was PS/2, and this new one is USB. Windows is completely unresponsive to this keyboard, I'm assuming because it doesn't have drivers for it. But I can't install drivers, because without a keyboard, I can't type in my password to log in. Whoever came up with this idea at MS should be hanged.

I know the keyboard works because I can use it to navigate BIOS, and even press F8 to boot in Safe Mode. But as soon as the Windows logo pops up, the lights on the keyboard go out and it stops working.

I seem to recall having this problem once before at a LAN party, but I worked around it by using a USB to PS/2 adapter. However, this keyboard doesn't have one.

The Gist:

• Windows has no drivers for keyboard
  • Can't login to windows to install drivers for keyboard without a keyboard with which to log in

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and the OS is Windows XP SP2.

I just did a little research on the problem, and I came across a random forum post that said to try leaving it at the login screen for a few minutes while Windows installs the drivers. I dunno if that'll actually work, but it's worth a shot.

I also read something about enabling legacy USB / keyboard support in the BIOS, but again, I'm not sure if that will make any difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the issue has probably been solved by now, but for reference:

it doesn't have drivers for it.

XP should have built-in support for USB keyboards, unless you have a really wonky one (the likes of which I have never, ever, ever seen). Try unplugging and replugging the keyboard after the login prompt appears; failing that, enable 'USB keyboard legacy mode' or somesuch in the BIOS. In layman's terms, it pretends that there is a USB->PS2 adapter installed. Sort of. Unless Windows messes with the USB host and kills everything as usual... :tomatoface:

The most simple way is to buy the USB/PS-2 adapter. However, what you can possibly do is use a Linux Live CD and then download the drivers via that. It should auto-detect all of the hardware, so connecting to the internet should not be difficult. You would simply have to know exactly where to install the drivers, usually some .dll file once you get them. Then boot without the live CD and then Windows should boot like normal.

I just moved, and I didn't take a mouse or keyboard with me, instead deciding I should get new ones when I get there. So I did. Big mistake, apparently.

My old keyboard was PS/2, and this new one is USB. Windows is completely unresponsive to this keyboard, I'm assuming because it doesn't have drivers for it. But I can't install drivers, because without a keyboard, I can't type in my password to log in. Whoever came up with this idea at MS should be hanged.

I know the keyboard works because I can use it to navigate BIOS, and even press F8 to boot in Safe Mode. But as soon as the Windows logo pops up, the lights on the keyboard go out and it stops working.

I seem to recall having this problem once before at a LAN party, but I worked around it by using a USB to PS/2 adapter. However, this keyboard doesn't have one.

The Gist:

• Windows has no drivers for keyboard
  • Can't login to windows to install drivers for keyboard without a keyboard with which to log in

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and the OS is Windows XP SP2.

Last time this happened to me, USB Keyboard support wasn't enabled in the BIOS. Although my problem was dealing with a Linux install that was being fussy, and I'm pretty sure Windows was detecting USB at the time no problem. Still good to double-check everything, and I do mean everything USB is enabled there.

• 2 weeks later...
I just did a little research on the problem, and I came across a random forum post that said to try leaving it at the login screen for a few minutes while Windows installs the drivers. I dunno if that'll actually work, but it's worth a shot.

I know from experience that this is correct.

However, with an older machine, I did have to wait about 5 minutes for it to do it's thing.