Chrono Triggers "Wind Scene" in "Funky Garage Band"

chanq

For those of you who might have been confused by the title, the music is not made in Apple's Garageband software. It's indicating that I tried to simulate a garage band jamming the Wind Scene tune. I'm posting this because I'm out of inspiration. Any help with feedback or ideas on how to develop this song will be greatly appreciated.

Now knock yourselves out.

npma

It's got a very humorous sound, so it's definitely worth developing. Progression is pretty much the same as source, tho, and melody's following as closely as jazz can.

The arrangement could use some unexpected progression changes. Go back to the main theme in the middle of the verse, change time sig, change key, change scale from minor to major...or something else, play something at half speed, do some new things. I'm not a jazz person, but you seem to be. Turn this into more of a rearrangement than a jazzed up cover.

Production sounds... it sounds like you haven't done that much. Right-ear mallet is way too soft, lead keyboards is way too loud. Applying some reverb, delays, or other effects could spice up the soundscape, but I think you're actually missing an entire instrument. You need more bass. Lower bass than what you've got. You could achieve that by adding a bass amp-like effect on the bass to boost it's lower range. An octaver would work well, too. Then you need to add left-hand writing to the lead keyboards. Sure, say the keyboardist is playing on the right-ear synth with the other hand... Then balance their levels more, and put them closer to center.

Too big body of text. En sak i taget:

Bass - Needs to be lower. An octaver or bass amp could do this. EQ alone is hardly enough, and pulling EQ up is just gonna screw with the sound.

Lead keyboard - Needs to be softer. Too loud. Ity also needs left-hand writing. If nothing else, at least use chords. Or you could give his left hands to anotehr keyboard - a pad. Also chords. Also, don't pan your lead, unless you've got another in the other ear. You don't.

Backing keyboard/mallets - Great idea... but it's barely audible. Up the levels, fix the panning, or balance it out with something in the other ear or about the same frequency range.

Drums - Sounds fairly food. Got nothing to say there.

It sounds a little empty at times. Have a look at DarkeSword's newb advice. Everyone knows something from there, but not everyone knows everything. It's not long.

I like the idea, and you've already accomplished enough to make me like the track. It does need more work, but you seem to know what you're doing.

Haha, that's what I'm talking about :razz:. I couldn't have wished for a better reply. I knew this track was far from perfect and you gave me some really valuable advice on how to improve it.

I think I'll learn a lot from this. And thanks for the kind words!

I feel a new jack swing style in this one. Wish I could replay this one in my Roland groovebox- it has many of the right sounds for it.

You're on the right track, but the production needs the most help. The lead organ sounds thin, feels weird always panned to the left, and velocities need to be varied. The slap bass is very gen(eric) MIDI sounding. I especially agree with Rozovian that it could use more low end frequencies for the bass.

The structure has some serious potential. I love what you've done with this, it's a well arranged bit that clearly references source, makes clear and well thought out modifications, and still is faithful enough to retain the "Chrono Trigger" feel.

As others have stated, production needs some love. The samples come off as a bit dry and stale; I know you don't want to hear this, but I could imagine this coming from a midi file in more or less the same shape.

I agree with some other posts here, a bit more variation would be nice, the second half feels a bit like a copy/paste job; though I disagree with lowering the bass. While the low octaves are hung out to dry, I think lowering it would ruin the style. Either way, I encourage some experimentation. Worst case scenario you fuck it up and we beat you senseless :-P

Don't take any of this as harsh criticism; it's not. It's a plea for you to continue work on this. I can't stress how much I think this piece has amazing potential, it just needs a bit of love.:puppyeyes: