Video Card Help

Linkmaster94

Here's the story. I built my computer all from parts I ordered over the internet, one of which was the Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb, all I could afford for my gaming pleasure. Sadly, after FINALLY getting a decent monitor, my old GTS just won't cut it anymore...especially in games such as World in Conflict (Though it holds up surprisingly well in COD 4). Therefore, I'm getting the itch to upgrade again...

So, I've been looking around until I came up a little card called the Radeon HD 4870 today. Seems ATI came outta nowhere with this and the 4850 and they are very very good. Yay. Sadly, up here in Saskatchewan, Canada, it is a scorching 35 degrees and I've already been forced to underclock my 8800 GTS to save my compy and room from turning into a furnace. My question is thus: Does anyone here any experience with either card? If so, how much heat do they put out? If the answer is a lot, how well do they underclock? None of the reviews I've found offer much info in either categoy...

And for the record, I apoligize if this doesn't belong here. I'm new if you can no doubt tell, so go easy on me:razz:

I'm a bit surprised, considering the extra memory is specifically intended to help with higher resolutions. Might need to consider dropping some effects and filters (anti-aliasing in particular will kill your framerate), or going down to 1600x1200 or 1280x1024.

That said, if you decide to upgrade, how much would you be willing to part with your old card for? :D

yeah even with the hd 4870 i need to keep the anti aliasing at 2x when i run crysis at max on 1920x1200

Outta curiosity, how well does the thing run Crysis? I'd only be gaming at 1600 x 1200 so I'm curious as to whether I'd see my fps at 30 or higher.

And Dhsu, honestly, I've no idea how much I'd want for my old one:razz: 75-100 bucks? I don't know...whatever you'd think is fair honestly:razz:

running crysis with all stuff at high (DX9) i get ~38fps at 1600x1200 and ~31fps at 1920x1200 (no anti aliasing)

Not amazing...but then again, it's Crysis. Ah well, still good enough for me:razz: Thanks for the info, about that and temps! Hopefully I can grab one of these babies fairly soon...