Killer Instinct

Hey all,

I have a question for all of the auido hobbyists here on OCR. Does anyone know how to recreate the effect used on the "Announcer" in Killer Instinct?

I believe this effect was used again(outside of the other KI games)in the Xbox Live Arcade game Heavy Weapon.

I have scoured the internet for years trying to find this out and it only dawned on me today to bring it up to the awesome folks at OCR.

Look forward to responses! :D Thanks.

Does anyone know how to recreate the effect used on the "Announcer" in Killer Instinct?

Which one? SNES? N64? Other?

(because not everyone knows every single game and Youtube is filled with videos that have their own music).

If it's

, the effect is mostly in the voice artist himself - if you don't sound impressive, you might try recording your vocals and playing it back at a lower pitch - and in the horrible quality of samples on the SNES - e.g., put a bitcrusher/bitreducer over it.

Emulating the sound of the voice actor himself isn't the difficult part. It's more the sound effects that are used to create the sound they have with his voice. Check this video:

There seems to maybe be doppler and/or a flange in there. I can't tell.

Another trick to do on any machine with the sampling memory of a goldfish: if you put reverb over it, also put compression over it. The idea was to use an envelope (which only requires DSP power, not memory) to take care of lowering the volume. See also: 80's gated snare, Phil Collins - In the air tonight.

Having a DSP that could pull that effect off is actually my ultimate goal with this question. I want to be able to have it achieved in close to real time if possible, but the problem has always been trying to find out what they have done to create that effect. It's only ever been used a couple times, so I wondered if that was due to it's complexity.

Well, having tried these suggestions for a week now, I have to admit, I am really no furthur than I was. Not to say the suggestions were poor, just that, between my inexperience with audio production and not being able to correctly identify the manner in which to recreate that sound, I am still nowhere.

If anyone can offer additional insight or information, please do. This is starting to seem impossible.