Name of game ReMixed : Crusader of Centy

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Rafflesia Training Grounds, Place of Peace

Original soundtrack : http://project2612.org/download.php?id=16

Composer : Motokazu Shinoda

Publisher : Atlus, 1994

System : Sega Genesis

Here's my resub of that arrangement.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=16 - 07 "Rafflesia Training Grounds" & 21 "Place of Peace"

As always I do a minor complaint about the snare drum being too punchy, but otherwise, this was an excellent revision. The arrangement was already strong, but just needed a bit more refinement and humanization in the sound. I liked the track before the key change employed in the resub, but this nonetheless turned out very nicely. This could easily be actual in-game music and retains a really laid-back adventurous RPG vibe. Awesome stuff, Simon; nice job shining light on an under-appreciated soundtrack, and thanks a lot for being willing to take another look at this one and resubmit!

YES

Simon must have sent me like ten versions of this song, and I have to say, my favorite one was when he tried the guitar as the lead for most of the song. But I think it's good he stuck to his guns with the keyboard lead, instead of retreating to the sound he's more comfortable with. This has a really pleasant sound to it and I think it's a nice arrangement. And hey, there's still a section where the guitar takes lead. \m/

I still think the drums sit a little strange in the mix, like they're too exposed or something, but overall the levels are good and things are very clear. The lead is a lot stronger, which was my biggest criticism for the last version. Keep doing what you do, Simon!

YES

Very nice choice of sourcetunes. I personally can't deal with these happy-go-lucky sources so I'm glad you shine a light on them :)

So, potent arrangement this one. Keeps the feel from the original 'Training Grounds' song and weaves it in with 'Place of Peace' in a very pleasing way. Arranged material is arranged enough and instrument choices were overall pleasing and very 80s :3

The production is good too. Most of the instruments sounds good but a little bit weak compared to how punchy the drums sound, especially the snare as Larry pointed out. I think some of the sounds have a certain GM-quality to them but absolutely the passable kind.

So, the production is up to par with our standards.. The arrangement is over the bar.. Keep it up Simon!

YES

This kind of reminds me of OA and Kaijin stylistically: a (primarily) electronic/sampled texture with pleasant sounds and a happy vibe overall. The production is nice all around with good sequencing, instrument choices, mixing and mastering. The guitar work is spot-on and fits in well. I loved how the piece changed in feel as it progressed; everything was seamless and natural. Good job!

I do agree with Anso that some of the instruments have a little bit of a "General MIDI" quality, particularly the bass, but I don't really think it detracts from the mix much overall.

With regards to the interpretation of the source itself, it's leaning toward the conservative side with no major stylistic changeups and no big changes to any of the melodies, harmonies or progressions that I could hear. This would be my only real complaint... I would have liked to hear some solos, for example. However, the arrangement is there and effective enough for our bar.

YES