Techno Classique

I know that anyone who enjoys techno or classical has checked it out sometimes. If you're wondering what Techno Classique is, it's techno remixes of classical tunes.

*Example, Moonlight Sonata Techno*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlGWvvjD8fc

The real thing about this post is not about that. What I'm getting at is an idea I've had for a while, and I havn't been able to find it on the net. And I'm curious as to what all of you think.

I've been looking for full orcestrial covers of Techno. I know it's kinda backwards, but I think the idea would be really sweet if not at least an interesting hear to try it out. Right now the closest thing I can think of that comes to this is Play, VGL and other Orchestra's that cover game tunes.

But I would like to hear Sandstorm by Darude or Omnibus by Laut Sprecher.

What do you guys think?

I once heard a Mozart tune with a constant, 1-bar 909 loop thrown over it for a sports montage on TV. That was just about the worst thing I ever heard.

One of the earliest electronic music recordings was Switched on Bach by Walter/Wendy/Whatever Carlos. Each channel was tediously sequenced in mono on a Moog, before the more practical Minimoog was invented.

Wouldn't Darude's Sandstorm be classified as Trance? Have that song in my trance album so beats me if it isn't or not (don't know much music genres either).

By anyway, would this mix apply? It's a trance remix of I believe Bach's Air on a G String

And be happy I know the name (I kid). But seriously, it took me a random chance encounter to discovering the name of this song. I knew it sounded very familiar but the trance name was a hell to find...

Originally found the Trance song here... from a Tales of combo vid, lol. You have been warned.

By anyway, would this mix apply? It's a trance remix of I believe Bach's Air on a G String

People are appearing to have difficulty with this concept.

We are NOT talking about techno/trance remixes of classical music.

We are talking about CLASSICAL remixes of techno/trance tunes.

This means that we have a full-blown orchestra covering Sandstorm. Don't know if it would sound very good though.

I don't know how you know about this, but these guys were the artists-in-residence at my college for the past three years.

I went to some of their concerts. They kick ass.

First thing that comes to mind is Jeff Mills' The Bells

Holy god that's awesome. When/where exactly did that happen, at that technofest that Detroit has every year? That's sweet regardless.

I don't know how you know about this, but these guys were the artists-in-residence at my college for the past three years.

That CD's been floating around the intertubes for some time now, which is good because at the very least its a wonderful interpretation of Mr. James's work.

I generally divide the Genres as deep as I can go (Rock into Modern Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Industrial, ect...) but I probally should have said Electronica for this thread. I don't really care what Sub-Genre it'll fit into, I was just using a blanket term to try to get as much as possible.

Also there was a guy who had graduated from my high school and went into Drum Core (DCI) and he came back to help out with our drum line and he ended up transcribing a Sandstorm for Drum Line is they played it at a half time show.... AMAZING. This was years ago now, but I still remember it, it's kinda the reason I was thinking of this and looking to you guys for help.

People are appearing to have difficulty with this concept.

We are NOT talking about techno/trance remixes of classical music.

We are talking about CLASSICAL remixes of techno/trance tunes.

This means that we have a full-blown orchestra covering Sandstorm. Don't know if it would sound very good though.

because the OP said this:

If you're wondering what Techno Classique is, it's techno remixes of classical tunes.

get him to change that and you'll remove the main source of the problem

also that "Bells" mess sounds fucking terrible

If people where to read the whole post then they would understand that I also said in my first post.

I've been looking for full orcestrial covers of Techno. I know it's kinda backwards, but I think the idea would be really sweet if not at least an interesting hear to try it out. Right now the closest thing I can think of that comes to this is Play, VGL and other Orchestra's that cover game tunes.

But I would like to hear Sandstorm by Darude or Omnibus by Laut Sprecher.

What do you guys think?

I feel that it takes an immense appreciation for the original to appreciate it, kind of like being in on an inside joke where no one else gets it but you find it hilarious.

I would assume so since I wasn't terribly impressed with the original either.

The original was okay for what it was. The transposition for the orchestra was also okay for what it was. But I wanted to kick that guy in the nuts for sticking that shitty-ass drumloop (that I, who knows not the first thing about seqencers could recreate in about 35 seconds) on top of it.

If people where to read the whole post then they would understand that I also said in my first post.

Except with the video in the way, most people will already want to start posting that same kind of thing.

Besides, why can't the thread be about both?

ITT gollgagh learns how to use the edit button

The idea of techno - the actual genre of techno - is that dance music should not be difficult to make and not difficult to have it continue. When techno was originally coined by Kraftwerk, it represented a music solely made by machines. When the Detroit movement came into effect in 1982, it was all about rebelling against the machine by working with the machine. Because Detroit was ground zero of the automation of the auto-manufacturing jobs, it left people confused as to what to do with themselves when all the jobs they had were being lost to machines. The only way they saw to undo all of that was to work with the machines. Hence techno. If you listen to first wave techno (Sharivari, Clear, etc) you will hear that the music is very much like any other funk music being made during that time but with a darker edge.

In the second wave, bourne by the breakthrough of house music, techno became a form of music that was meant to have the night go on, keeping everyone dancing while not killing their ears, achieveing this by offering minimal melodies and simplistic drums. Artists who were the forefrunt of this were Jeff Mills (US) and Ritchie Hawtin (Canada). To have yourself recognised in this music was by demonstrating that you could make the machines do unique things while still having the minimal beats and minimal beats. The Bells is a good example, using cheap synthesisers and (then) even cheaper drum-sequencers and being able to do a lot with them. You also have to realise that most techno producers did not use computers until around 1991-2 and even then, they used the Atari ST and not the Commodore 64 and the Amiga.

Third wave, or "acid techno" is when they brought tweaking of the sounds to the forefront and mad it possible to have showcase pieces for techno, like DDR & Geezer's "Mad Cows on Acid" or Solar Quest's "Acid Air Raid" or more famously Pump Panel's Reconstruction Mix of New Order's "Confusion."