I just finished Earthbound and it PK ROCKIN'd and was spoilerful.

Hausdog

Seriously, it's the most disturbing game I've ever played. Maybe it's just because I was aware of the ending before I started it up again for the bazillionth time, but it's... damn. The last little piece of the game is simply trippy, even when compared to the rest of the game. Ness goes into a coma and destroys his evil side and then goes back into the past to fight the (then fetal) Giygas inside a vagina. It's extremely creepy, but it works. I saw a still of the final battle, and I was all "pfft, if it's just a red swirling thing, anyone can find any frame and turn it into something." But then I actually did it myself and was all... damn.

Even the "happy" places in the game are just... off. I was so emotionally drained, but I could appreciate it being OMGAWESOME because it definitely had artistic merit.

Wow this is dumb sorry

I was so obsessed with this game when I was ten that my mom made me quit playing. Telling her that it was Christian because you got to pray in order to kill bad guys was a Bad Idea. :<

It was just as well. I went back (forward?) in time at like level 80, and was constantly being rocked by all the baddies in that area. I doubt ten-year-old me would have had the determination to grind my way to a higher level, or the cleverness to beat it at that low level. Also, I kept trying to do the pray thing earlier in the battle than I was supposed to, so I never would have beaten it anyway.

Years later I've played through it and beaten it multiple times. I even beat Mother 1 without cheating, once, although I wasn't so successful on the second attempt... if there was ever a game that needed to tweak some balance issues. :|

Seriously, it's the most disturbing game I've ever played. Maybe it's just because I was aware of the ending before I started it up again for the bazillionth time, but it's... damn. The last little piece of the game is simply trippy, even when compared to the rest of the game. Ness goes into a coma and destroys his evil side and then goes back into the past to fight the (then fetal) Giygas inside a vagina. It's extremely creepy, but it works. I saw a still of the final battle, and I was all "pfft, if it's just a red swirling thing, anyone can find any frame and turn it into something." But then I actually did it myself and was all... damn.

Even the "happy" places in the game are just... off. I was so emotionally drained, but I could appreciate it being OMGAWESOME because it definitely had artistic merit.

Wow this is dumb sorry

Why man, why!? I was just playing the game for the first time last week! Oh, BTW, Ness is one of my fortes in SSBB.

I never really thought the best part of EarthBound was the events of the actual story (which I found to be fairly standard JRPG material), or even the New Age Retro Hippies and finding hamburgers in trash cans and all that stuff that people always bring up.

No, the best stuff was things like the message which pops up if you try to use the Insignificant Item (a jab at completionist gamers), the literal "pixel hunt" in the desert, the "buy a house" subquest which ends badly thanks to the limitations of 2D perspective... the jokes which were more about the mechanics of RPGs and less about just being all wacky and different from the standard themes of most RPGs.

It seems like I rarely see people bring that aspect of the humor up, and I wonder if it tends to get missed or there's an issue with a disconnect between the game's target audience (people familiar with the conventions of Dragon Warrior-era RPGs) and people who are more recently playing the game for the first time (who might be more familiar with the conventions of post-FF7 RPGs.

Really, I wish someone would make a game which does for the post-FF7 era what EarthBound did for the Dragon Warrior era. I always picture a fight where the boss starts up some huge elaborate excessively long Ultimate Doomsday Spell animation, and you get sick of watching it and just walk up and kick him in the nuts.

I never really thought the best part of EarthBound was the events of the actual story (which I found to be fairly standard JRPG material), or even the New Age Retro Hippies and finding hamburgers in trash cans and all that stuff that people always bring up.

No, the best stuff was things like the message which pops up if you try to use the Insignificant Item (a jab at completionist gamers), the literal "pixel hunt" in the desert, the "buy a house" subquest which ends badly thanks to the limitations of 2D perspective... the jokes which were more about the mechanics of RPGs and less about just being all wacky and different from the standard themes of most RPGs.

It seems like I rarely see people bring that aspect of the humor up, and I wonder if it tends to get missed or there's an issue with a disconnect between the game's target audience (people familiar with the conventions of Dragon Warrior-era RPGs) and people who are more recently playing the game for the first time (who might be more familiar with the conventions of post-FF7 RPGs.

Really, I wish someone would make a game which does for the post-FF7 era what EarthBound did for the Dragon Warrior era. I always picture a fight where the boss starts up some huge elaborate excessively long Ultimate Doomsday Spell animation, and you get sick of watching it and just walk up and kick him in the nuts.

Go play God Hand, boy.

OCR was responsible for me randomly playing Earthbound last summer. The final battle is so crazy, being inspired by some traumatic childhood experience the director had. The Mother 3 translator guys are getting pretty far along with their project.

http://mother3.fobby.net/

Really looking forward to this.

Yay, I'm not the only person I know following their progress. I've actually been considering getting a flash cart just so I can play it actually on a GBA, but I'm clueless >_>

I need to finish it. I have like... uhhh... 4 or 5 other rpg's I need to finish this Summer.

Oblivion, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Diablo II, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (hard mode).

Has anyone looked into the alleged "inspiration" for the final boss?

Oh dam Im playing this on an emulator for the first time and I just got mjy ass whooped by a territorial oak. Seriously the tree came up behind me and it killed me in battle. what the fuck. And hah I didnt read the full post so the ending wasnt spoiled for me.