Things that suck about finding a job on music.

John Revoredo

Of course, I'm trying to make it too yo. I also went to college as a music composition major because I wanted to learn how to write music. So now I can write music but I still don't have a music job years down the line. But trying to get something that's easy is no fun anyway. If I make it before I die, it will be a dream come true. If I don't, knowing that I tried my best until the end will be enough for me to die happy. Travelling the path is more important than reaching the goal, wouldn't you say?

Damn right.

I never went to a music college, but had particular classes, and most of my orchestration technique is self taught (which was a lot of job).

At university Im studying computer engineering, not music.

Maybe it's just like McVaffe said: working on a game-related field might open you the doors to professional music composing. It would be easier to me hitting the professional music field if I worked as coder in any game company,just because i could easily show my job to the bosses. In that moment I'd have on my side these two facts: 1- I am a good musician, 2- I am cheaper than anyone they're planning to contract.

Film Student: Hey Jeremy, can you give me a soundtrack like the one in Running Scared?

Me: Sure, it's one of my favourites.

Film Student: Thanks!

Me: (note to self: rent Running Scared this weekend)

True story.

Heh, that reminds me of someone I worked with once.

Him: I wanted something that sounds like this one scene from Gladiator.

Me: Sure, no problem (Went and got my Gladiator DVD, watched the scene a couple times, bought the sound track and listen to the track a bunch more times. Ended up with something I though sounded pretty good with a similar feel.)

Him: Wow, that's awesome, but I think it sounds too epic.

Me: Ok, I'll try and tone it down a bit... (Thinking: Why'd you reference Hans Zimmer music from a battle scene if you didn't want something that sounded epic?!)

I love working with people.

2- I am cheaper than anyone they're planning to contract.

Not necessarily a good thing. It might actually raise flags for the producer and make him think you're really desperate/trying to get your first gig/not up to the task.

Only things I can think of is get your name out there, send resumes, keep your eyes open for opportunities, and don't give up after a week. If you're looking into getting into the games industry, seriously consider brushing up your sound design skills, download trials for audio engines (fmod, wwise, xact...), get familiar with the concepts of how audio in games work, get the books, etc.

There are plenty of niches to be filled in music if you're looking for a job. You could become a full time music theorist, for example. I realize that it's definitely not a path for everyone (especially if you hate the idea of working at a university), but it IS a full-time job that not a lot of people compete for (compared to full-time composing, anyway).

Also, those of you at universities looking for composing work: Talk with the computer science / engineering advisors, and have them drop your name whenever a student needs music for a project. Offer to do small projects here and there for free, just to build resume. It's at least a start, and if you want to work in games, having done a game already (even a cheap quick student game) is a plus.

Harder than a physicist or electrical engineer? I doubt it :-P . But music certainly is a more uncertain path. /offtopic

Bahamut, music education at Iowa State requires more credits than any other program except architecture (including all engineering majors). It's not even offered as a four-year degree anymore, and you're flat out told you'll take 5 to finish your undergrad.

With that said, I think every major has those classes where you can't pass them unless you're insanely passionate about your degree program: While I understand basic programming and can do C++ and HTML, I could never pass the upper level algorithms class. At the same time, those of you without collegiate music experience would be equally unable to pass music history.

Film Student: Hey Jeremy, can you give me a soundtrack like the one in Running Scared?

Me: Sure, it's one of my favourites.

Film Student: Thanks!

Me: (note to self: rent Running Scared this weekend)

True story.

^That's awesome, and exactly what everyone who wants to compose should do EVERY time.