OCR @ Otakon 2008 (Baltimore, MD) - Thanks for coming!

atmuh

Time is tight, people: only a month to go!

I should talk... I only just remembered to renew my registration before the cutoff date. Unfortunately, it's as far as I got. My plans may be extremely last-minute depending on who's offering shack-up space - hotel or otherwise - who can drive me if there's a need (I can only give you gas, no ass or grass), and my cash flow situation.

Now that the sponsored hotels at OTAKON are all sold out, how's everyone else situated, what are their plans, and who else needs help rooming up? I just remembered to give Don a call.

Anyone remember how some of us had those OCReMix cards trimmed to fit in the rear of the OTAKON badge? Well, I'm silly enough to have my "membership card" design printed out on paper with my name on it this year, also for placing behind the badge. If djp's cool with it, I wouldn't mind doing the same for anyone else who's coming and asks for it. How 'bout it?

Time is tight, people: only a month to go!

I should talk... I only just remembered to renew my registration before the cutoff date. Unfortunately, it's as far as I got. My plans may be extremely last-minute depending on who's offering shack-up space - hotel or otherwise - who can drive me if there's a need (I can only give you gas, no ass or grass), and my cash flow situation.

Now that the sponsored hotels at OTAKON are all sold out, how's everyone else situated, what are their plans, and who else needs help rooming up? I just remembered to give Don a call.

Anyone remember how some of us had those OCReMix cards trimmed to fit in the rear of the OTAKON badge? Well, I'm silly enough to have my "membership card" design printed out on paper with my name on it this year, also for placing behind the badge. If djp's cool with it, I wouldn't mind doing the same for anyone else who's coming and asks for it. How 'bout it?

that sounds awesome and i need a room or a garage or a box or something

I am gonna be going as Spike Spiegel.

First time at Otakon.

I hope your first time is better than mine was last year.

Granted, it was fun and all...but my biggest gripe was the layout of the whole place. I can understand wanting to avoid congestion between limited doorway space, but the way they had things set up I swear was to maximize the amount of time you spent on your feet walking during your day. They spread stuff out so randomly. The AMV contest showing were all the way at the second building about as far away from the main drag as possible. The Artist's Alley and the Dealer's Room - the two most sought-after places in the entire con - were right next to each other layout-wise, but they refused to open the doors between them, and instead you had to go out *ONE EXIT* (since they wouldn't let you go in and come out from the same doors)...walk out, up, around, down, and around some more...and THEN you got to the other room. (no shit...it was almost a 10 minute walk) You could have the most comfortable shoes ever, and you'd still have sore feet after just a few hours of trying to get around.

I honestly hope they changed that this year. Otherwise I'm going to be making fewer trips to the Alley and Dealer's Room.

Oh, they didn't have the escalators on either. What the hell?

There's not much in the way of OTAKON info yet, so any large update can wait. We need to at least see when the OCReMix panel takes place, and then schedule the big Meetup after that. I expect djlionzirkietricks are waiting for that info as well, perhaps then placing it in Announcements. Meantime, we can discuss travel and accomodations. I'll decide myself soon after I talk to several people.

Just so all of you know... Those that went to MAGFest, or heard about JamSpace, or saw videos on YouTube... Dom and I are going to be running "Club Otaku", which is the Otakon equivalent of JamSpace. (Renamed because of a Japanese music guest JAM Project)

Either way, feel free to spread the word. We're going to have the room from 7:00am until 7:00pm on two days, and I believe we're open all day on the last. Come on out and jam away. Feel free to bring instruments, but at your own risk.

A good time will be had by all, whether you want to jam out, or just listen to some live VG tunes.

This also confirms my and Dom's attendance

GREETINGS, Dom here.

Some of you may remember Jamspace from this year's Magfest 6 and how epic it was.

If you're going to be in Baltimore for Otakon (gigantic anime convention, Aug 8-10 2008 ) , I wanted to let everyone here know that WE'RE DOING IT AGAIN:

http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=15149

The room there isn't called Jamspace there, it's called Club Otaku (there is a band named Jam Project that we wanted to avoid confusion with)

Escariot and I are personally overseeing this one again, so it should be awesome.

Speaking of which... does anybody know if/when the OCR panel is at Otakon?

-Dom

GREETINGS, Dom here.

Some of you may remember Jamspace from this year's Magfest 6 and how epic it was.

If you're going to be in Baltimore for Otakon (gigantic anime convention, Aug 8-10 2008 ) , I wanted to let everyone here know that WE'RE DOING IT AGAIN:

http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=15149

The room there isn't called Jamspace there, it's called Club Otaku (there is a band named Jam Project that we wanted to avoid confusion with)

Escariot and I are personally overseeing this one again, so it should be awesome.

Speaking of which... does anybody know if/when the OCR panel is at Otakon?

-Dom

Hmm...ok, my interests are piqued. What kind of gaming-music do you plan on playing? Direct covers, or remixes? Just curious, as it may determine whether or not I attend.

I'm going to be with a large group staying at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel. I expect to be hanging around the Artist Alley and Dealer's Room mainly, with some panel hopping and a visit or two to the Game Room. I'll also hopefully have some art pieces for sale in the art show, so keep an eye out.

Ah I think I should have been more clear. The room isn't hosting any kind of event.

e.g.

The idea behind this room is basically to throw down a bunch of keyboards, guitars, drums, bass, and other stuff on a stage and see what happens. People will sign up for ~10 minute time slots to perform. That room will be open from like 8am to 7pm each day.

So, the type of music that gets played is totally up to whoever is playing it. The room is not actually hosting any events, it's just 24/7 music jam.

Myself, I personally play very liberal covers of vgmusic or medleys or whatever I feel like mixing it with (e.g. Halo Theme into Secret Of Mana into MM3 into Take 5 into Rick Roll). Other people like to play exact versions of game music, other people will kick on a drum machine and looper and make crazy on the fly mixes.

So bottom line is: The room is basically whatever you want to make it into. We're just providing the space and the instruments. If someone wants to bring some crazy synth stuff and do live remixes that sound awesome, it's totally doable. I'll be bringing my humble Yamaha MO8 for just that purpose.

Just to give you an idea of like 'live remix' this was Schnabubula doing some crazy +impromptu stuff live last time:

(this one is called Terra's Got Her Groove Back)

-Dom

You know, as much as I'd like to spend three days in downtown Baltimore among thousands of people inside the mazelike confines of Baltimore Convention Center and the surrounding environs, I simply don't have the cash this year.

That and I'd decided months in advance that I would not be attending this year, so. *shrugs* if you do go, have fun, if you don't, don't feel like you're missing out on that much of a thing, because in retrospect it just isn't as neat as you think it will be.

Here's the official word from the otakon website:

Be a real guitar hero

For the first time at Otakon, we give you... Club Otaku!

We provide a room with musical instruments, and you provide the sheer musical genius. If you're talented at playing a musical instrument and/or singing (or even just really enthusiastic about it), then stop by and sign up for a time slot in which to showcase your mad skills. Or, if you're just a fan of live music from your favorite anime and video games, come by to bask in the awesome glory of it all.

So what is all this, exactly?

Club Otaku is a room with provided instruments (two guitars, one bass guitar, keyboard(s), drums and percussion, microphones) and all associated paraphenalia. Anyone who's interested can sign up to jam together, karaoke-style. Tons of musicians and vocalists, including members of OverClocked ReMix, local videogame music bands, and videogame companies, will be there to rock you all day long.

On Friday and Saturday, Club Otaku will be serving fresh riffs from opening to 7:00PM, and on Sunday all day. Come just once or all three days, but one thing's for certain: you won't want to miss out on this maiden voyage of pure win in music form!

Can I bring my own instrument(s)?

If you fear our cowbell is insufficient for your divine percussive furor, then feel free to bring your own equipment or instruments. However, neither Otakon nor any of its staff members assume any responsibility for any instruments used at Club Otaku. If you'd still like to use your own equipment, you will need to sign a waiver at the room entrance.

This is intended to cover small items like your favorite guitar or bongos. Please don't bring your favorite pipe organ or 147 piece drumset.

I am very excited to hear this. I'll totally be there, and for you old school BEERMIX fans, I just might bring along my kazoo. ;)

Hmm...ok, my interests are piqued. What kind of gaming-music do you plan on playing? Direct covers, or remixes? Just curious, as it may determine whether or not I attend.

I'm going to be with a large group staying at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel. I expect to be hanging around the Artist Alley and Dealer's Room mainly, with some panel hopping and a visit or two to the Game Room. I'll also hopefully have some art pieces for sale in the art show, so keep an eye out.

Any ideas where at the 'con you'll be putting up shop? I'd love to drop by and pick up some pieces if you're able to have some for sale.

Any ideas where at the 'con you'll be putting up shop? I'd love to drop by and pick up some pieces if you're able to have some for sale.

I'd get a table, but the competition is too fierce at Otakon, and the table itself is expensive. Hence, I'll be putting some pieces on display in the art show/exhibit, which will be able to be bid on for a chance to win it. I hope to have a few of my current digital pieces enlarged and framed, and I also plan on doing a oil painting on poster board to frame....whose subject material I have yet to decide.

So if you see my Sonic Reflection picture, chances are you'll see the rest.