Sign in to follow this  
dPaladin

I'm gunning for a cheap computer

So that's everything I'd need? I wouldn't have to get anything else?

Well, you'd need a mouse, a keyboard, and a monitor, but I assumed you already had those.

You would also need a OS, but XP is so easily pirateable its not funny. Just find a XP Pro student edition torrent.

Yeah I have a couple of huge CRT monitors hanging around the house and I have a nice USB keyboard and mouse setup I'd take away from my laptop. Thanks for the help, Effef.

This board will take every AM2 processor produced so far without a BIOS flash. the only thing it can't take is AM3 stuff, which won't be out for a looong time. The only thing AM2+ signifies is the ability to be cross compatible with AM3 stuff. And DDR2 667 still works in a DDR2 800 board, it will just be slower.

I absolutely didn't know any of this. :oops:

EDIT: One of my friends says he has two evga 7800GTs that he's not using and he might be willing to part with them (I'd just take one for a few reasons, foremost of which being that I'm probably neither going to need nor be able to use SLI), which would surprise the hell out of me if it was anyone but this specific guy, who has probably upgraded his PC like 6 times since he used those cards.

So back to the motherboard drawing board. If the onboard video no longer made a difference, should I still go with that one that Effef posted, or should I get a different one?

So back to the motherboard drawing board. If the onboard video no longer made a difference, should I still go with that one that Effef posted, or should I get a different one?

The one I posted. The ECS's chipset is several years old now, and can no way stand up to the 690G. Also ,ECS does not have the best track record ever.

Well it wouldn't be the ECS one, but there's bound to be a mobo with similar specs to the 690G, but without onboard video and thus hopefully cheaper. Any such thing?

Well it wouldn't be the ECS one, but there's bound to be a mobo with similar specs to the 690G, but without onboard video and thus hopefully cheaper. Any such thing?

There is the 690V, but this is literally the only 690V board in stock on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186136

It has horrible ratings, and I know Foxconn isn't very good. For some reason, newegg just chunked the 6xx series.

This MSI 740G does not look that bad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130188

It has integrated graphics, but it can just be used as a backup if the 7800 does not work out.