Having trouble with guitar stuff...

All right, so I'm in kind of a predicament. I would really like to use guitar (i.e. heavy metal and such) but cannot play guitar. Soundfonts are gross and my samples don't sound good when I mix them. Is there a VST or something I can use to program the notes without actually having to play guitar?

PS I have downloaded a cabinet impulse and whatever else it was I needed from the guitar tone tutorial... I just don't know how to create the sound to apply it to.

Thanks in advance! :)

unfortunately, it seems that there is no good answer to this. (trust me, I've wanted a guitar synth too)

The "official response" is that you can only get good guitar tracks from either sixto or snappleman. XD

But in all seriousness, if you want real guitar tracks, you need real people with the mad skillz to play said instrument. If you lack said skills, well, tough.

although, prominy lpc is very nice - but it's SO DAMN expensive/huge and rhythm tracks STILL don't sound quite right.

zircon mentioned something about a guitar shredding library he and sixto were doing awhile back... that will probably something to check out when it comes out.

edit: and of course I'm beaten to the punch by the man...sigh...

haha, that was a joke guys.... guys...?

hello...?

ah, now I've done it.

nothing like the fresh taste of despair in the morning. nosirre, nothing quite like it.

on topic, if you're looking for a collab these two are excellent as well...so are probably a bunch of people I missed.

(I think nutritious lays down guitars as well as well as taucer, back in the day. hm, any others I should mention before that damn cat mocks my memory again? XD

hello...?

ah, now I've done it.

nothing like the fresh taste of despair in the morning. nosirre, nothing quite like it.

on topic, if you're looking for a collab these two are excellent as well...so are probably a bunch of people I missed.

(I think nutritious lays down guitars as well as well as taucer, back in the day. hm, any others I should mention before that damn cat mocks my memory again? XD

Wow, I'm "back in the day" now?

61328857sadcatho3.jpg

To be fair, I guess it has been forever since I submitted a mix. I guess I'll have to change that....

hello...?

ah, now I've done it.

I was pretty much joking. I get collab requests out my arse as it is.

Also nutritious is currently learning the powerchord last time I spoke to him.

Like the other posters here said, I think the best chance you have is looking for someone to do your tracks. I'm new here but I saw there's a list of remixers interested in collabs and their respective instruments, so that should be golden for you to find someone.

Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 2 (3 is out I believe, though I haven't looked at it) allows you to build your amp and effects set in your PC and either filter incoming sound in real-time (if you plug your guitar in, it sounds whichever way you set it up), but you can also put those effects in post-processing. People usually record the clean tone, acoustic, neutral sound of the part or song they're playing, and then afterward set up the sound file into GR2 and twiddle around to find that perfect crunchy distorsion, or whatever. If you're going to do heavy metalesque stuff, it *might* be possible for you to export a MIDI file with an okay-sounding acoustic guitar soundfont or VST into WAV, and then layer it up in Guitar Rig and tweak a strong distorsion specifically for that sound. I've never tried it, and I'd be surprised if it would give "AWESOME" results, but it might sound better than "flat" soundfonts or VSTs. Or maybe someone else has already tried that?

Good luck! :-P