Super Mario Bros 2

Evilhead

No, not the radish pulling Doki Doki Panic resprite known as Super Mario USA in Japan (still a great game) but the REAL Super Mario Bros 2, originally released for the Famicom Disk System and later released on the Super Mario Bros All Stars SNES compilation. Does anyone else think this is the best Mario game ever, or maybe the best platformer ever? The level design is brutal without being unfair, and since you at each world if you die you really have to master the levels and picking up the hidden one-ups, chaining enemies with shells, and collecting coins becomes critical. I really like the weird enemies like the flying jelly-fish/squid guys, the green springs, crazy Bowser battles, the floaty Luigi, completely bullshit castle levels, and all kinds of crazy jumps. It's like a really well-done difficult ROM hack of the original Mario, except its actually released by Nintendo only for true Mario masters. It was released for Wii download and for the Famicom Mini Series for the GBA (import) with the hidden worlds taking it up to 13 worlds total. Anyone else love this classic as much as I do? It never seems to get to love it deserves, probably because it never got a stand-alone NES release in the states.

It totally is. But thanks to nintendo going "STUPID GAIJIN" we didn't see it til All-Stars. It's tough, but that's what makes it so much fun. I remember trying to figure out how to finish it when I was 5. The warp made me so confused. But then I did it. And then my friend went delete-crazy on my all-stars cartridge.

Luigi and the flying Bloopers were the best.

I finally played through the game, start-to-finish, last winter. Even though I enjoyed it, I'm kinda glad they decided to release the veggie-pullin' SMB2 in place of the Japanese SMB2. I know for a fact that I would have become WAY too frustrated if I had attempted it when I was younger.

Does anyone else think this is the best Mario game ever, or maybe the best platformer ever?
For me, that's Mario 3, hands down.

I finally played through the game, start-to-finish, last winter. Even though I enjoyed it, I'm kinda glad they decided to release the veggie-pullin' SMB2 in place of the Japanese SMB2. I know for a fact that I would have become WAY too frustrated if I had attempted it when I was younger.

Sometimes its hard to tell but I think I was a better platformer gamer back when I was growing up. Probably due to the fact that I had a lot more time to sit around playing games, and platformers were big back then. I beat the Lost Levels on All Stars when I was younger, but doing it now would take longer. Still, I've been working on it again. Hopefully I'll be able to go through the whole game in one sitting without warping eventually, but I'm still on the first few worlds.

Frankly, I consider it a nice novelty, but it's way too unforgiving for me to really consider it one of my favorite Mario games. I beat it in its All-Stars form, and got through world 9 in the Wii version. But I usually have more fun playing through the original SMB, trying to play it better rather than struggle through the Lost Levels.

I usually see the reverse: the "Doki Doki Panic and radishes" SMB2 get hated on just because it's not the "real" SMB2. I actually think it's the better and more interesting game of the two by far... That's not so say that the other one doesn't have it's interesting "Whoa" moments, like seeing Bowser outside of a Bowser level. Totally blew my mind.

Frankly, I consider it a nice novelty, but it's way too unforgiving for me to really consider it one of my favorite Mario games. I beat it in its All-Stars form, and got through world 9 in the Wii version. But I usually have more fun playing through the original SMB, trying to play it better rather than struggle through the Lost Levels.

Well, the point is that you're not supposed to be struggling. Mario 1 is way too forgiving.

I enjoyed it until the point where you have to find a hidden block to progress. That wasn't contra bullshit, that was kaizo bullshit. How in fuck's name are you supposed to know that you have to find a hidden block? I must've wasted fifty lives on that goddamned pit before I accidentally stumbled upon that block.

I enjoyed it until the point where you have to find a hidden block to progress. That wasn't contra bullshit, that was kaizo bullshit. How in fuck's name are you supposed to know that you have to find a hidden block? I must've wasted fifty lives on that goddamned pit before I accidentally stumbled upon that block.

Lol, I know that pit. I even tried as luigi, but no luck. I accidentally misjudged a leap and hit that block. At that moment, I couldn't tell if I was happy or angry.

Now I just find it funny.

No, not the radish pulling Doki Doki Panic resprite known as Super Mario USA in Japan (still a great game) but the REAL Super Mario Bros 2, originally released for the Famicom Disk System and later released on the Super Mario Bros All Stars SNES compilation. Does anyone else think this is the best Mario game ever, or maybe the best platformer ever? The level design is brutal without being unfair, and since you at each world if you die you really have to master the levels and picking up the hidden one-ups, chaining enemies with shells, and collecting coins becomes critical. I really like the weird enemies like the flying jelly-fish/squid guys, the green springs, crazy Bowser battles, the floaty Luigi, completely bullshit castle levels, and all kinds of crazy jumps. It's like a really well-done difficult ROM hack of the original Mario, except its actually released by Nintendo only for true Mario masters. It was released for Wii download and for the Famicom Mini Series for the GBA (import) with the hidden worlds taking it up to 13 worlds total. Anyone else love this classic as much as I do? It never seems to get to love it deserves, probably because it never got a stand-alone NES release in the states.

I really like The Lost Levels. It's really cool (especially level 9), but I'm going to stick with the real Super Mario Bros. 2, the one with radishes and cherries and mouses who wear sunglasses. But I feel ya, Japan Mario 2 is a ton of fun and one hell of a challenge. The level with in the clowds with invisible blocks and the lakitus kills me at least three times every time I play it. I can't even beat the game without the cheat at the beginning.

I really like The Lost Levels. It's really cool (especially level 9), but I'm going to stick with the real Super Mario Bros. 2, the one with radishes and cherries and mouses who wear sunglasses. But I feel ya, Japan Mario 2 is a ton of fun and one hell of a challenge. The level with in the clowds with invisible blocks and the lakitus kills me at least three times every time I play it. I can't even beat the game without the cheat at the beginning.

Not to pick bones with you but the "real" SMB2 is the game known as the Lost Levels. The game released in the USA as SMB2 was made for some Japanese TV show, then had it's sprites swapped out for Mario ones. Great game but pretty unrelated to the Mario universe. Still one of my favs though!

Not to pick bones with you but the "real" SMB2 is the game known as the Lost Levels. The game released in the USA as SMB2 wasn't even made by Nintendo. Great game but pretty unrelated to the Mario universe. Still one of my favs though!

I know that most game fans go off of what was originally released in Japan, and that's understandable. I know the whole history of Doki Doki Panic, but when I was a kid, the box said "Super Mario Bros. 2", and Final Fantasy 4 said "Final Fantasy 2" in the US. That's what I grew up with, so I stick with it. I know that it originated in that place, but I still go by with what the box says. Anyway, they were all really cool games. I almost have a spiritual respect for Super Mario Bros. 2, known to you as Doki Doki panic. It had Mario and co's sprites in it, so that makes it Mario. That has always been enough for me. But, of course, no bones at all, and that's not sarcasm.

I know that most game fans go off of what was originally released in Japan, and that's understandable. I know the whole history of Doki Doki Panic, but when I was a kid, the box said "Super Mario Bros. 2", and Final Fantasy 4 said "Final Fantasy 2" in the US. That's what I grew up with, so I stick with it. I know that it originated in that place, but I still go by with what the box says. Anyway, they were all really cool games. I almost have a spiritual respect for Super Mario Bros. 2, known to you as Doki Doki panic. It had Mario and co's sprites in it, so that makes it Mario. That has always been enough for me. But, of course, no bones at all, and that's not sarcasm.

SMB USA (aka DokiDoki Panic) has been one of my all time favorites. Beaten it many times, and I even like it better than SMB3, which everyone seems to like the best. But I have to wonder if it would have gotten as popular as it has if Nintendo chose not to release it in abroad as SMB2... I mean, the main reason most people played it was because they played the original so much and it had the Mario name. It is a really easy game though so perfect for kids to play. Most kids would probably get frustrated with the original SMB2, although I love the challenge. But I have to correct myself because DokiDoki Panic WAS developed by Nintendo... for some reason I thought it was done by a different comanpany and only pubished by Nintendo.

Final Fantasy 4 said "Final Fantasy 2" in the US. That's what I grew up with, so I stick with it.

The problem with this one is that "FF2" has since been released in the US as Final Fantasy IV (multiple times), while "SMB2" remains SMB2 for us (that other game, the one that is ridiculously annoying because it's not even difficult in terms of skill required to overcome the challenges it presents but rather in time and patience required to memorize the pattern of the levels so as to avoid cheap obstacles, became The Lost Levels 'round here, while the actual FF2 was redeemed as Final Fantasy II).

Sure, Lost Levels was pretty cool (and frustrating). I still enjoyed SMB 2 more tho.

But neither of those hold a candle to Super Mario World, my personal favorite Mario game. That game had ridiculous secrets (Top Secret Zone FTW), Yoshi, actually "Super Mario" (a cape, lol), and fantastic music. Pretty much one of the best game ever!

While the doki doki panic version of SMB2 isn't technically Mario, it did introduce at least a couple of iconic Mario enemies, namely Bob-ombs and Shy guys. That must be worth something.

Yeah it's a totally worthy game! It's just that a lot of people aren't aware of the Super Mario Bros 2 that came out in Japan which is a really solid and challenging game in it's own. It's really Mario 1.5 or Mario Hard Mode if you ask me, but totally worth playing for those up to the challenge.