Nintendo announces 1:1 Wiimote!

Nekofrog

lApMjLBYdw7v2ATJbBTQ1lLHPs4jxMFx-300x230.jpg

Nintendo’s upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Speculation is due to the fact that Microsoft is rumored to announce its own motion control setup for the 360 today.

I just read about this. Too bad you can't use the nunchuck at the same time though, it would make FPSs amazing to play then.

Now, I wonder how much Nintendo is going to charge us for this. Any guesses?

Yes, they've got to change that, the nunchuck is needed sorely. Amd an arm and a leg no doubt, Ive got to maintain a negative view of the Wii so I dont end up buying one like you other pricks.

Too bad you can't use the nunchuck at the same time though, it would make FPSs amazing to play then.

Are you sure? Since Neko didn't supply a link, I can't read about it (or confirm it! SPECULATION PERHAPS?!?!?! jk) but the picture looks like it has another input slot at the bottom for another Nunchuk. It just kind of looks like it has a cover now, like the GBA slot on a DS Lite.

Are you sure? Since Neko didn't supply a link, I can't read about it (or confirm it! SPECULATION PERHAPS?!?!?! jk) but the picture looks like it has another input slot at the bottom for another Nunchuk. It just kind of looks like it has a cover now, like the GBA slot on a DS Lite.

Higher-res picture here. It does look like there's a port on the bottom. The rubber grip on the Wiimote on the left has a cut-away section to allow access to the port.

Interesting. I guess we'll see what this is really capable of fairly soon.

And, yes, integrating the sensor into all future Wiimotes is pretty critical for this to succeed. If it's too expensive, it'll be used about as much as the Power Pad and Super Scope were.

Wasn't the Wii-mote already capable of 1:1 control? What about Metroid Prime 3? I remember Samus's arm moving with my arm...

Nope. It could only track where you were pointing with speed and accuracy. But if you didn't have it pointed at the screen it had no idea where you're arm was, and couldn't track 3D movement with any accuracy.

This thing is basically what Nintendo should have done for the Wiimote in the first place. That said, I really doubt it's going to provide much more in the way of innovation. Developers have enough trouble figuring out how to use a pointer and tilt sensors in new and interesting ways.

Hm in that case, if you can use a nunchuck with that motion plus, then great job by Nintendo.

Now, we just need some games to take advantage of it.

DUCK HUNT Wii. quack.

I wonder if it will work with any games already out that will vastly improve them. You know the ones I'm talking about. That one with the crappy motion controls. Ha.

Its cute how you all think this really changes anything with the Wii.

It's still going to be a system that is selling more on a gimmick than innovation.

With that said, I can't wait to see what the 360 does with it.

Oh my god this will make force unleashed for wii the BOSS SHIT, man!!!!!!

No it won't. Games have to be specifically coded to take advantage of this kind of thing, because it's not sending more accurate information, it's sending more information period. Force Unleashed is already in the works and unless they delay the game or LucasArts (or whatever outsource dev they're using) had WiiMotionPlus devkits already, you won't see 1:1 control in Force Unleashed.

And Zaid: when gimmicks are successful, that's innovation. The motion control in Wii is successful and it's effective in a lot of games, and I'm not talking about waggle. Wii is innovative. :P

No it won't. Games have to be specifically coded to take advantage of this kind of thing, because it's not sending more accurate information, it's sending more information period. Force Unleashed is already in the works and unless they delay the game or LucasArts (or whatever outsource dev they're using) had WiiMotionPlus devkits already, you won't see 1:1 control in Force Unleashed.

And Zaid: when gimmicks are successful, that's innovation. The motion control in Wii is successful and it's effective in a lot of games, and I'm not talking about waggle. Wii is innovative. :P

godammit. I wont hate you for telling me this, but its just cause i like your music.

Sorry if I seem a little cynical, but I'm not sure if I see any real benefit to this. From what they're saying, its basically something that makes the wiimote more accurate. Surely there's more to it than that; from what they're saying, its a big deal, but "1:1" doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal. Anyone mind explaining what the benefits of this are?

Its a shame that the version in the picture hasn't got a nanchuk port, but I'll bet anything that they'll have support somewhere down the track; if its even half as good as everyone seems to be making it out to be, they'd be crazy not to.

Sorry if I seem a little cynical, but I'm not sure if I see any real benefit to this. From what they're saying, its basically something that makes the wiimote more accurate. Surely there's more to it than that; from what they're saying, its a big deal, but "1:1" doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal. Anyone mind explaining what the benefits of this are?

Its a shame that the version in the picture hasn't got a nanchuk port, but I'll bet anything that they'll have support somewhere down the track; if its even half as good as everyone seems to be making it out to be, they'd be crazy not to.

basically it could make the wii what everyone imagined before the wii came out, not waggle your hand and watch the guy on the screen do some mildly related stuff like it is now.