Nintendo announces 1:1 Wiimote!

Nekofrog

I agree that this is the kind of thing the Wii remote should've had all along, and it's good to see Nintendo responding to some criticism.

I haven't really played a game where the motion sensing was totally fun. It was neat in Wii Sports, but the novelty wore off after that. Even in games that I love, like Zack & Wiki, it feels like a crapshoot on whether or not the game will actually recognize what you're doing. Hopefully this will help.

Higher-res picture here. It does look like there's a port on the bottom. The rubber grip on the Wiimote on the left has a cut-away section to allow access to the port.
Its a shame that the version in the picture hasn't got a nanchuk port, but I'll bet anything that they'll have support somewhere down the track; if its even half as good as everyone seems to be making it out to be, they'd be crazy not to.

Thank you for reading, Leet.

I would be further impressed if this plugin had a passthrough for the Nunchuck connector. I'd be even more impressed if it also had a wireless transciever for a new first party wireless nunchuk. I'd sit back in awe if they just rebuilt the controller to be wireless out of the box like they said they would and built this peripheral into the wiimote instead of charging me the (estimated wild guess) 20 to 25 dollars they'll charge for this thing.

But they won't, because just like the expansion pak for the N64, every first party Nintendo game for the next four years will be "Specially designed for use with the Motion Plus peripheral!" Which means I can't play it until I go fork a 20 over to plug one of these bitches into the bottom of each one of my wiimotes, and then wonder what to do with my other hand, because now I can't use my nunchuk. I guess the whole thing's a plot to give me a free hand to jerk off Miyamoto with in the end.

I'm tired of buying into thinly veiled consumer milking, thank you.

Hey does anyone remember that crazy asian guy who made the 3d environments, like the virtual reality landscapes by putting the sensor bar on his hat? That's the point of this isn't it? That it can do things like that with the new precision, which is awesome. I could be wrong but its moving into that kind of territory which I find pretty exciting.

Hey does anyone remember that crazy asian guy who made the 3d environments, like the virtual reality landscapes by putting the sensor bar on his hat? That's the point of this isn't it? That it can do things like that with the new precision, which is awesome. I could be wrong but its moving into that kind of territory which I find pretty exciting.

Yeah... Only not like it at all.

I think the new advantage might just be having an extra set of sensors in the wii-mote. By having motion detection in two different parts (especially if those parts are a ways apart) they should be much better able to keep track of angle, twist and general orientation.

I think the new advantage might just be having an extra set of sensors in the wii-mote. By having motion detection in two different parts (especially if those parts are a ways apart) they should be much better able to keep track of angle, twist and general orientation.

...I am pretty sure this is exactly what it does

Thank you for reading' date=' Leet.[/quote']

Your welcome, oh great wise ass.

Doesn't change the fact that it seems to be in a bad spot :?

Even so, I'm curious to see how the devs use this; I know that Nintendo has a few more games to add to the "wii" collection (the ones like wiiplay and wiisports etc), so it wouldn't surprise me if they brought out one utilizing this technology. Same for wiiware (which I'm glad to say has actually been out in Australia for a while now :razz:); there's bound to be at least one game out there that's going to use it. Or so I hope.

So FINALLY Nintendo confirms the deep rooted fear that the remote is *gasp*, not responsive at all and only a select few Nintendo games were able to use it very well. I'm honestly a bit disappointed with the news in a way. Because the wiimote should have been like that from the start. It's like they're making ground. Oh, and not to mention that I should spend more money because Nintendo made a boo boo and the controller needs fixing.

So FINALLY Nintendo confirms the deep rooted fear that the remote is *gasp*, not responsive at all and only a select few Nintendo games were able to use it very well. I'm honestly a bit disappointed with the news in a way. Because the wiimote should have been like that from the start. It's like they're making ground. Oh, and not to mention that I should spend more money because Nintendo made a boo boo and the controller needs fixing.

Its better than M$ and the Red Lights of Death: "its a strange coincidence that all our units seem to be failing one year after their first use"

*thousands of complaints (and far too much time) later*

"hmmm...I think there's something wrong here."

(I am aware of the rather large difference between "a slight controller issue and upgrade" and "the whole damned console melting down inside")

Its better than M$ and the Red Lights of Death: "its a strange coincidence that all our units seem to be failing one year after their first use"

*thousands of complaints (and far too much time) later*

"hmmm...I think there's something wrong here."

(I am aware of the rather large difference between "a slight controller issue and upgrade" and "the whole damned console melting down inside")

Again, the red ring of death is still a statistical minority. Maybe half a percentile out of all the consoles so far. The Wiimote had its share of problems with the controller slipping and finally Nintendo upping its responsiveness.

And really, both are still nagging problems to those that had such problems but both MS and Nintendo are aiming to fix them. And my first generation 360 basically had no problems from the start. As for the Wii, I have to agree with the whole 'waggle the wiimote because it's unresponsive anyway' thing. It was handicapping the control scheme for a long time now. To me, that is a bit more egregious since only Nintendo seems to have figured out how to use it efficiently (but even then, it wasn't exactly ideal... like in Metroid Prime 3, it was a bit wonky compared to using that combination of older/newer control scheme).

Then again, I'm not sure how the 3rd party will exactly survive with the Nintendo games being as great as they are and taking all the spotlight anyway.

It's funny because the 360 at my job gets the red ring of death every night but somehow manages to work the next day when I come in and turn it on, rofl...

I have customers come up to me and tell me, "Dude, your 360 has the red ring of death.." like everyday. It's hilarious to see their faces when I tell them it comes back to life the next day. :<

Shouldn't you take advantage of the free fixes while MS is still being generous about it?

That's the thing though. If Nintendo is admitting that the Wiimote wasn't as responsive as before, why should we buy the peripheral? It should be free IMO. Not that it's that big a deal for me (only one controller..), but the idea of buying constant upgrades? And it's Nintendo that's doing it? That is ironic.

Shouldn't you take advantage of the free fixes while MS is still being generous about it?

Nah, not really, I even told the Microsoft rep that comes in from time to time about it and she said not to worry about it as long is comes back to life the next day. Plus, it's not my 360 so I don't care. :<

Haven't quite figured out why people seem to think that just because we're getting a periphereal to enhance the way the wiimote senses motion that the old wiimote wasn't sensing motion. Metroid Prime 3 was quite a seamless, wonderful experience. However, the wiimote had limitations, but that is definitely to be expected of an entirely new controller scheme. Nintendo is taking things to the next level. 1:1 means sword fighting will actually be f'n sword fighting. I can't wait.

I just see it as logical progression.

Think about it, all you need to do is buy a little add on thing. While with electric razors and toothbrushes, and heck; cellphones, you have to get a NEW one with every upgrade.

The "next gen" has only just begun and so Nintendo can use this time to try out new things and have a good deal of reasearch done before the making of the Wii 2, which essentially only needs a storage- and graphics boost right?

The Wii is not perfect, but it's a solid product as it is, and it works for the most part.

Haven't quite figured out why people seem to think that just because we're getting a periphereal to enhance the way the wiimote senses motion that the old wiimote wasn't sensing motion. Metroid Prime 3 was quite a seamless, wonderful experience. However, the wiimote had limitations, but that is definitely to be expected of an entirely new controller scheme. Nintendo is taking things to the next level. 1:1 means sword fighting will actually be f'n sword fighting. I can't wait.

Didn't you just answer your own wonderment why people look back at the old functionality and see how flawed it probably was? I mean, precise movements wasn't really there and in the end, many games like Mario Galaxy used it as a mouse cursor more than a free floating motion sensor it was meant to be. Aiming also was not as precise as it should have been for FPS style controls. Now I hope they make another Mario game just to take advantage of the more precise controls. I may be complaining like this a lot, but I do think it's great for the functionality. Now they just need to get rid of friend codes forever. Oh, and if Sony and MS are going to copy it for their PS4 or Xbox720, they should rightfully adapt the new technology instead.

I just see it as logical progression.

Think about it, all you need to do is buy a little add on thing. While with electric razors and toothbrushes, and heck; cellphones, you have to get a NEW one with every upgrade.

The "next gen" has only just begun and so Nintendo can use this time to try out new things and have a good deal of reasearch done before the making of the Wii 2, which essentially only needs a storage- and graphics boost right?

The Wii is not perfect, but it's a solid product as it is, and it works for the most part.

And this is the beauty of Nintendo; they're always experimenting. Anyone remember when they said the DS was just a test run to see what they would do with the next game boy? The wii and ds are both a testament to Nintendo's ingenuity. They have undoubtably made mistakes (one could argue that the Gamecube was one of them, but I'd be reluctant to agree there), but they've endeavored to fix them in most case.

I know people are giving this whole upgrade thing a hard time, but its like some people are saying; THERE WAS NOTHING MASSIVELY WRONG WITH IT. You aim it at the screen, it moves. That's good enough for me. I'm not downplaying this new device either; it seems to have a lot of potential. Just because this new device is meant to be better, doesn't mean the old one now sucks.

It's funny because the 360 at my job gets the red ring of death every night but somehow manages to work the next day when I come in and turn it on, rofl...

I have customers come up to me and tell me, "Dude, your 360 has the red ring of death.." like everyday. It's hilarious to see their faces when I tell them it comes back to life the next day. :<

So... It's a ZomBIE60?

:-D

But seriously, is anyone surprised by this tactic? They've been forcing you to pay out the ass since FF:CC on the Gamecube, hell, since the expansion pack for the N64.

As far as I'm concerned, it's business as usual.

I just hope that's a port cover in the pic. If there's no port, it's only going to be used in wiimote-only games.

What I want to know is what kind of tech is in it that makes it so superior to the current waggle tech. All I see in the articles is marketing.

Again, the red ring of death is still a statistical minority. Maybe half a percentile out of all the consoles so far. The Wiimote had its share of problems with the controller slipping and finally Nintendo upping its responsiveness.

The Red Ring of Death may actually be a half a percentile out of all consoles as you say, but the 360 does have an overall failure rate of 1/3 of 360 consoles. Not sure if that number includes only red ring of death or all failures, but the problems that console has had shouldn't be downplayed, especially when the other two actually have failure rates below 1%. Granted, Microsoft did the right thing in the end.