Mirror's Edge

Cecilff2

dude, that already happened, like for example, The theme of Mirror's edge is Still Alive. The theme of Portal is Still Alive.

Search Still Alive on Google and you get Portal's Theme

Um. I'm quite aware of this. I was merely stating that it's a silly thing to get all upset about this one time when it's HAPPENED LOTS OF TIMES ALREADY WITH A LOT OF OTHER SONGS.

Good game ,awesome music.

combat is a little clunky. The time fram for disarming someone swinging a weapon at your face is too small and oddly placed.

(as the guns about to hit you? surely as they arc their arm backwards is a better time to stifle a swing?)

but one of the best games ive played in a long while.

sense of flow, control and awesome builing leapery is badass.

Capcom need to take note of this game. Then create Strider 3 and reference to this game alot. but make it faster and with more cutting and stuff...

yeah

Good game ,awesome music.

combat is a little clunky. The time fram for disarming someone swinging a weapon at your face is too small and oddly placed.

(as the guns about to hit you? surely as they arc their arm backwards is a better time to stifle a swing?)

Actually if an opponent swings at you, grabbing the object as it approaches you is best, because you can pull it towards you and pull your enemy off balance, making it easier to disarm and/or escape. Watch Faith's movements as she disarms. She pulls the gun towards her, which knocks off the enemy's balance, then she gives them a quick hit (usually a blow to the head) to stun them, and pulls the gun away. This is how actual disarming techniques work.

Plus if you don't get all jittery and stay calm, its actually not terribly hard to nail it.

Beating the actual game itself is not too difficult once you know what to do and where you're supposed to go...all the different time trials and that extra stuff is hard though. You have to pull of everything quickly and perfectly to make it through, and though the beginning levels are pretty easy, once you get to some of the later levels where you have to pull of ridiculous combinations it starts getting hard.

there's already a cd coming out of just remixes of this song. and they already rejected a mix of this song that was a rip =)

i wasn't a big fan of the remixes on that cd. there were a couple that i thought were ok, but the rest are somewhat uninspired. just my opinion though.

I played the demo and was not overly impressed. The control scheme seemed kinda clunky, does it get to feel natural after playing it more?

the game does a great job with momentum and you really feel like you're flying through the air when you get used to looking for things to bounce/jump/grab and start hitting the right buttons at the right time. however, there are points in the game where you either run into something that breaks up your momentum or its a long jumping puzzle where it does feel less cool. however, there are some pretty intense moments flying through rooftops or bolting through a mall or subway that are really enjoyable.

$60 worth of enjoyment?

no, not for everybody. that's the worst part about it. for $60, its too short a story mode. that's the bottom line.

if you like the core mechanics of the game play, and by that i mean you like to invest your time looking for creative ways to get from point a to point b, i think its worth it, but i think the average player would want to wait until its $30 or so. there's just not enough content in the primary story mode so it all depends on how much you enjoy the actual game play to keep going back to it.

however, i for one am tired of playing some soldier in an fps shooting nazi's or alien uglies. its a breath of fresh air to do something different and when you hit your stride and nail a series of moves, it's pretty awesome -- like doing a quicktime event except it was actually all you. one my my complaints is the poor use of weapons in the game -- its focused much more on evasion and heavily discourages the use of the guns in the game (they slow you down considerably and you have to auto-drop them if you want to do certain moves). it keeps you moving forward the way the game wants you to (by running and thinking fast), but i think its a missed opportunity here for alternative ways to play the game. you get the "test of faith" achievement if you go through the game without shooting anybody, but i think the game pushes you too hard to do that even if you didn't initially want to.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy from Gamefly and finally got a chance to play it earlier in the week. I gotta say this game is fantastic. I wasn't too sure what to expect from it, but I will most likely buy it when I get a chance. It's a very exhilarating game and deserves a spot in my collection. It reminds me of what Prince Of Persia would be like in 3-D.

• 1 month later...

We're wrapping up our Mirror's Edge Is Still Alive contest over at OSV, and figured some of you may want to enter. You've only got one week left to suggest an alternate title for "Still Alive":

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=1651

We're giving away the game for PS3 or a physical copy of the Mirror's Edge Remix Album. Looking forward to some more clever entries!

Mirror's edge was a fun game, hell it was a great game, however it wasn't a fantastic game.

I enjoyed all the different ways you could jump around, the fact that weapons were available and yet not required, the sheer beauty of the landscapes, and the combat was awesome as well.

But there were some key factors of the game that I just couldn't forget. The story was predictable, transparent, and just not very informative. It's to dang short, a short campaign would be acceptable if there were more things to do after you beat it besides racing your ghosts.

The problem I think was the demo, it was just too big (I can't believe I'm saying this). You can pretty much emulate the experience of the whole game by replaying the demo three or four times.

I rented Mirror's Edge from Gamefly a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but as people have mentioned here, it was too short and too linear to have much in the way of replay value. (Plus, some of the combat situations they put you in were complete and utter bullshit that annoyed me to no end.) I'm glad I rented it; both in the sense that I'm glad I got a chance to play it and in the sense that I'm glad I didn't buy it.