Animal Crossing City Folk

The Damned

I never got into Animal Crossing. Seems a little too high maintainance for me. I heard and read about the daily activities you have to do, and it just seemed like too much of a demand.

Mind you, I avoid WoW for the same reason; too many things to do, not enough time...

so then why did you make a thread about it

AC is high maintenance only because the AI is non existent. If the animals had even a smallest amount of compassion for the town, they'd pick up all the f'n weeds, stop picking petty fights and maintain the village. That said, I'll probably buy it anyway.

I skipped Wild World, mostly because I couldn't justify paying $35 for what is basically a slightly-enhanced GC game to myself. Now, though, I'm aching to collect all sorts of furniture and crap and drive myself into horrible, crippling debt.

So I'll be picking this one up, for sure. With 4 people in 1 town at once, hopefully they include things only multiple players can do. Like... playground equipment or something.

Also, it would be cool to have a carpentry mode, where you can build your own furniture and put your own textures on it. That won't happen, but it would probably be the awesomest thing for this game.

Also, it would be cool to have a carpentry mode, where you can build your own furniture and put your own textures on it. That won't happen, but it would probably be the awesomest thing for this game.

Carving out humans holding up the roof and being the ottoman, tv stand, side table light and using a marble texture to give it an opulent look is actually a very attractive enhancement...

Though the next morning just as u fire up the game you discovered all your hard work had been retextured with phallic symbolism as well as pwnt insignias; all thanks to your semi douchebaggy friend visiting :lol:

rather than double posting...

What IS the appeal behind Animal Crossing...?

I've watched trailers and ytvids on but I'm lost on what exactly is the appeal behind it...

I think the appeal is that it's just a relaxing game with a lot of little fun things to do. It's the kind of game that isn't terribly demanding, either. You can play just 15 minutes every day, if you desire, or really go all-out and try to scrounge up a massive amount of money catching fish all day.

It's basically got the same appeal as The Sims or Harvest Moon.

Except there were at least some goals in Sims to trick up the house in more creative ways, and Harvest Moon always had an overriding story to get married and have family. I hope they do something like that with AC:CC. At least with more creative upgrade options.

I never got into Animal Crossing. Seems a little too high maintainance for me. I heard and read about the daily activities you have to do, and it just seemed like too much of a demand.

Mind you, I avoid WoW for the same reason; too many things to do, not enough time...

Yet you play Pokemon? :P

Having actually played the game, one of the draws for me is the conversations you have around town. The villagers are, at least for a while, oddly entertaining. When they started having conversations with each other in Wild World, that made things even more interesting, because their over-the-top personalities clashed in interesting ways. It's got a really attractive humor, even when the villagers are outright insulting you.

And it's the whole sandbox thing. Your town is your own, and nobody can copy it no matter how hard they try.

I'm not sure if I want this version, though. I love the mechanics, but it IS a very time-consuming game and it only goes so far for people who don't have others to play with.

While part of me thinks this game will be cool, another part of me thinks "not cool enough." Although I've always liked Animal Crossing for what it is, it seems that it can only last for so long. Sooner or later I get to the point where there's just not enough gameplay there to keep my interest. You can only do the same old things for so long before you get tired of them.

Still, it might be worth it for as long as it lasts before getting boring, and it seems like there'll be more to do added, which in my opinion is far more important than adding fish, bugs, furniture, etc. Plus, just knowing you can make your character look like a Mii is hilarity in the making. There's something about making your character look like Dr. Zoidberg or Quagmire that makes it sound like great fun. Or better yet, how about creeping people out with a Micheal Jackson Mii?

Although I've always liked Animal Crossing for what it is, it seems that it can only last for so long. Sooner or later I get to the point where there's just not enough gameplay there to keep my interest. You can only do the same old things for so long before you get tired of them.

^This. I played the gamecube one for almost a year straight. Then I stopped. Then, when I got the DS one, I only kept it in my gameslot for one measly month. Do you know why I stopped, both times? I got sick of:

1) Go find the money rock

2) Run thru Nookingtons, but don't buy anything because there's nothing good.

3) Force yourself thru a fetch-quest for one of your friends.

4) Go build a snow-man, and hope that your finger doesn't slip next to a river.

5) Dig up any X's in the ground

6) Save and quit

7) Rinse, lather repeat

Seriously, that's all that the game had to offer to me! Of course, you can talk about holidays, or the NES games, but they just prolonged it.

City Folk better have an ingenious solution that encourages extended play time.