OCR00973 - Chrono Trigger "Forever"

djpretzel

at first i couldn't hear the original melody in this mix, i didn't pay attention to the opening piano, i had to look up the song, and when i realized this was the Aris dome theme, it hit me like a ton of bricks. it must have taken some deep thought and consideration to move from the somber feeling of the original tune to the dancy techno that this mix evolves into. if any thing, this song is a must download just to hear the shift in musical genre, that and the awsome synth which gives off that dance floor feeling. a job well done...

Dammit Suzu, this mix helped me through much of the last few months, and will probably be at my side for the rest of my life. It's made 3 of my personal CDrs in various forms, and man...perfection. It's the last piece on my "Life Mix" disc...I can't thank you enough. This work is second only to Dale North's TimeCircuitsHighVoltage as far as my CT favorites go, and for it not being a Zeal remix, that means much.

Keep mixing. And I'll give BlueMetro a damn good chance for joining Sir Nut's mix (also a kickass interpretation of the Metropolis Zone) on OCR.

Enlightened Ownage.

wow, i tried to hear it in newspaper class but the room was too noisy, then i got home and downloaded it but forgot about it and finally got to listen to it today. i notmally don't listen to much CT remix because almost all of them are Schala's theme and that got old real quick. i can invision a lot of different story ending battles to this, although like the board said, the ending needs a little more. but i like it none-the-less, excellent remix

Hello Suzu, forgive the lateness of my Review. lets dive in <songplayed> Ugh, this song is hard for me to review because I love a lot of aspects about it, but there are a few issues that keep me from falling in love, either way, i think its a very good song that should be checked out by Everyone.

0:01 - I will say, the intro is deffinitely one of my favorite parts, the "static" that was intentional in the backround? I feel like its just a bit to loud, beyond that though, your piano work is amazing.

0:15 - Especially here. I love this part.

0:48 - Excellent. Brilliant.

1:01 - Now, immediately of note here is the quality of the instruments, they all sound very good together, its done very well, but as for the Movement of the notes? I *hate* the way it sounds from 1:01 to 1:12. Just that specific section.

1:25 - As for this? Brilliant.

1:38 - My main beef, is that you repeat these notes quite a bit, and while its cool, and im totally diggin the vibe, i just wish you'd mix up that lead.

1:59 - I'd guess your going for a "trance-ish" mood, And it sounds great, and you do a wonderful job of keeping it from getting boring, but .. I just can't get into that lead :\

2:52 - So, Basically, I Just honestly wish you would've mixed that lead up a LOT more.

3:10 - The ending seriously could've been cleaned up a bit, perhaps slowed down.

It's been a while since I've had a really solid trance that was really good in my collection. I dare say that I missed that and thanks to you, Suzu, I now feel complete.

Now down to the critiques... I like the slow introduction of the drums before the synth orgy. Don't take this the wrong way, but it felt like it would fit so well into an 80's movie, and that's so cool! I can almost hear this on Ladyhawk or Romancing the Stone or something (although, Ladyhawk had a really shitty soundtrack). I like how you manage to keep the flow moving and you never let it stagnate. That's often one of the biggest complaints I have with trance pieces, and I'm glad you haven't committed that grievous act.

As far as the things I didn't like, I would have preferred that the synth come in a little cleaner. I like it all the same, but that would have been my choice. I think overall, there's not a whole lot that I don't like about this piece. It's one of those pieces where I say to myself, "I friggin' hate this genre, but this piece makes it all better!"...

Great work, Suzu!

4/5

Like most mixes, I heard good and bad. Definitely good overall though!

The jazzy piano right off the bat was excellent. It jumps out, then slowly settles back into a mellow groove to set up the following sections. I have a beef with the vinyl noise sample, though. It sounds more like a train than real vinyl noise that I've heard. My ears were expecting the static to be a little more constant throughout the sample instead of so lopsided. The click that sounds like damage to the virtual album is one thing, I'm talking about the actual static noise.

The first time I listened to 0:35 (when the electronics start fading in ever so slightly) I thought someone on a floor below me had their speakers turned up to test the sound output. The distant sound had me completely fooled! For about 10 seconds it sounded like the sound actually wasn't coming from my speakers. I dont know how they did it, but the way it sounds like the source of the sound is slowly coming from the basement up to your speakers is one of the coolest things I've heard!

When the thumping bass comes in at 1:15, it sounds kind of empty. Until the higher percussion comes in at 1:26 it just sort of ambles along. Granted, it's only about 10 seconds, but for those 10 seconds it sounds a little dead.

The ending was definitely too sudden. I felt like I should have been wearing a seat belt after it happened.

This is really well done. I'm really big on trance and jungle tunes, and this hits the sweet spot as far as trance goes, the intro is just plain awesome.

That intro work...I really don't know if I've heard better. Very flowing. Very modern techno, mixing several genres so well, mixing a classical piano style into breakbeats into progressive trance. I felt not at all uncomfortable during the intro. Each part lead into the next very well and intuitively.

The bulk of the remix is very enjoyable, sticking with the main theme, yet changing acoustic qualities enough to maintain interest.

The end, as has already been mentioned, was too sudden however.

I give 4.5/5 only losing points for the anti-climactic ending.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
at first i couldn't hear the original melody in this mix, i didn't pay attention to the opening piano, i had to look up the song, and when i realized this was the Aris dome theme, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Nope. Arris dome sounds waaay different than this.

a midi

I'm having so much trouble finding 'Forever' (the original) anywhere. I just said to heck with it and emailed Suzu myself. Hope he gets it...

All in all, this is a genius song. I just want to hear the original. :(

at first i couldn't hear the original melody in this mix, i didn't pay attention to the opening piano, i had to look up the song, and when i realized this was the Aris dome theme, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Nope. Arris dome sounds waaay different than this.

a midi

I'm having so much trouble finding 'Forever' (the original) anywhere. I just said to heck with it and emailed Suzu myself. Hope he gets it...

All in all, this is a genius song. I just want to hear the original. :(

It's called "The Day the World Revived" on the OSV. The melody itself can be heard integrated into the Lavos Theme midi part-way through.

By the way, this remix is great.

Whatever the original is this is a great song. I don't see the point of the static at the start, it gets a little repetitive and the ending is abrupt. But you mix from one genre to the other really well (actually i'd say trance and classic are pretty similar genres but never mind) and it's all done expertly.

BTW, for anyone without CD ripping abilities who already owns the Crono Trigger OST and wishes for a backup of one of the tracks from that CD (such as say, The Day the World Revived) they can get them here.

They don't sound all that similar though.

i no longer use the samuraihornet@yahoo.com address.

it got far too overloaded with spam. i tried telling djp to

update it, but he's a busy guy. and when he's not busy,

he's drunk. but it's all good. anyways, like Antelucan

said, the original song is 'the day the world revived'.

it's track 6 on the 2nd disc of the OSV. it's also in

the rsn available here on OCR. not sure which track it

is though, but probably something like 30, or 2-6 (i

don't recall how they are ordered in the rsn). if you

don't know how to play the rsn, there's a list of

programs/plugins available here. hope this helps! ;)

thanks a bunch guys.

ps: my current e-mail is suzumebachi@gmail.com

This is an excellent trance remix. The Day the World Revived is the only song on my OCR: Chrono Trigger CD that has more than one remix for it thanks to Suzemebachi's, djp's and Unknown's/zircon's mixes. Not too much of a good thing imo.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00973 - Chrono Trigger "Forever"