Nintendo E3 Press Conference

XZero

So far, the only Wii game that I've enjoyed (and kept for that matter) was No More Heroes. So far Nintendo has left a bad taste in my mouth with what's been released... and yes that does include SSBM.

I'm hoping that all changes this fall.... but from the sounds of things, it's looking like I'm gonna continue to be disappointed so far.

This year would have been a lot better if they didn't announce shit like Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil 2 until e3. Or maybe even Megaman 9, or Chrono Trigger. I guess that most of the good games this year are third party multi-console games though, and it really wouldn't be appropriate to announce that stuff there.

Anyway, shame on Nintendo. I'm starting to get fed up with them.

If Brawl isn't enough to satisfy you guys, you should probably just sell your Wii now.

Well here's the thing: I never liked the SSB series to begin with. It was just meh to me. It's cute for about 15-30 minutes. After that, time to find something else to play.

If Brawl isn't enough to satisfy you guys, you should probably just sell your Wii now.

Don't be absurd. It takes more than one good game to maintain a game console!

GenericDerrick, it'll be the best gaming decision you've ever made. Xbox Wii60 is the way to go!

halo gears of war halo halo mii ripoff ffxiii

Add Prince of Persia, Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, and just about every relevant 3rd party games out there.

I want Nintendo and Microsoft to merge already. Nintendo stuff and casual stuff + the 3rd parties and hardcore stuff. I think it's pretty obvious that the two sides are really missing the other piece of the puzzle.

Oh and btw, Wii Music does sound pretty good as long as it can properly utilize the 1:1 controls. That would've been impossible with the older, clunkier scheme.

Well then you bought the wrong system.

You'll be wondering a long time if sales are any indication!

That's why I'm wondering. It's selling, but how long is it going to please people? You already hear the constant gripe of gamers saying that there's hardly any appealing games for the Wii, and all that's coming out is lame party games.

When I see things like Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Wii Music, I see those games are something you can just easily pick up and play. That's it. They'll entertain you for maybe 20 mins, and then you're done until the next time you're bored or whatever.

As someone eloquently put it:

Nintendo may be using E3 time to appeal to the casual game crowd because it has such large press coverage. Casual gamers are more likely to hear about things at E3 than anywhere else, and that's the demographic that is making Nintendo money right now. This doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't doing things for the core gamer too, but that they trust that they can announce those games any old time and those of us who are interested will find the news through our usual online sources, rather than having to hear about it during a massive mediafest.

Makes sense.

I hope it's true.

The thing that concerns me is how overly casual some of Nintendo's games are getting on the Wii. For instance, Wii Music is looking much more like a showcase demo of what the system can do, as opposed to being a game that will engage players for hours and hours. The impression I get is that games like this and Wii Sports Resort are more like Electroplankton in that they're a neat little toy that distracts you for a few moments, but that's about it.

I was watching a recent Angry VG Nerd episode this morning (Star Trek) where he tried everything to get the one Star Trek NES game to properly respond to his controller input (including verbally calling it a Piece of Shit and flipping it off). Perhaps Wii Speak will recognize when I swear at the unfairness that is Mario Kart Wii's item distribution and give me something good. When a game responds to verbal swears positively, then I'll be impressed.

I loved how the Sony rep at one point argued that they aren't trying to saturate the store shelves with games no one wants to play; it's an ironic statement given the PS2 and PS1 histories of really bad games (though the Wii is getting pretty close to that point now).

The thing that concerns me is how overly casual some of Nintendo's games are getting on the Wii. For instance, Wii Music is looking much more like a showcase demo of what the system can do, as opposed to being a game that will engage players for hours and hours. The impression I get is that games like this and Wii Sports Resort are more like Electroplankton in that they're a neat little toy that distracts you for a few moments, but that's about it.

Worrisome if you're a hardcore gamer only. I think that's why so many gamers are saying 'nothing' really came out of Nintendo's E3 this year. I guess the casual gamers would be alright with it. Some addons are nice, but that's it. Not quite the march of games Microsoft has shown, or the software system overhauls both MS and Sony is promising.

Well, my thoughts are that they've already ensnared the casual audience. Those people are sold. They bought their Wiis or are already planning on getting one. So with that in mind, why not take it up a notch and give those people and the rest of us who do in fact enjoy casual and hardcore games and have already had their fill of Wii Sports, something with a bit more meat? Maybe Resort will surprise us, but I'm not holding my breathe, considering that what I saw at their conference was kind of underwhelming.

I am however really excited about the possibilities of 1:1 motion control with games. I wish they had taken their time demonstrating that with the sword fighting, instead of flailing their arms everywhere. It's hard to tell just how accurate the 1:1 motion was. I also would like to see head tracking integrated into games within the next year, hopefully sooner than later.

While this holiday season may not be everything I would personally hope for, I'm gonna try my best and practice patience and maybe even have a little faith that some developers out there, including Nintendo themselves, will fully deliver the goods on the things I mentioned above during this generation of gaming, instead of holding out for the next one.

I find it funny that whenever I go to someone's house and play the wii, the best game is still the shooting gallery game from wiiware. What a joke of a system... Just goes to show that when you lower the bar to appeal to mom's and grandma's you get crap games or no games at all.