no more heroes more like no more thumbs from button mashing through mobs

metroid prime same game with shitty pointer controls yay

super paper mario lol mediocre

lostwinds looks nice plays shit

toki tori play it on your gba

re4 good game already played it on ps2/gamecube/etc

okami good game already played it on ps2

Pretty much.

I just keep wondering what happened to Nintendo.

Pretty much.

I just keep wondering what happened to Nintendo.

they sell to non-gamers with the shallow wii tech demo games and satiate their core fans by churning out the same franchises over and over this time not even changing a single thing from the gamecube generation except tacking on craptacular waggle controls. they got lazy, and since they are making tons of money while being lazy, they don't give a shit.

This is a PRESS conference, and even though casual gamers don't follow E3, they do get their tidbits of news sometimes found in newspapers. That's what the press and investors are there for. So yeah, Nintendo is showing us how easily they're making money, and these new doodads and products are poised to make them a lot of money, whether they're aimed at us in particular or not.

On something more specific, I don't think the new Wii Sports was a convincing effort to show the benefits of 1:1 control. It didn't seem like much of a change.

smash bros more like button mash bros get a real fighting game

twighlight princess yay i can play the same exact game for the 50th time

zak & wiki just sounds gay

how I trolled thread lol

(Seriously if you think Smash Bros is a button masher, that just means you're bad at it. Also "real fighting game"? Like KoF or SF? What's this about "same exact game for the 50th time" lol?)

they sell to non-gamers with the shallow wii tech demo games and satiate their core fans by churning out the same franchises over and over this time not even changing a single thing from the gamecube generation except tacking on craptacular waggle controls. they got lazy, and since they are making tons of money while being lazy, they don't give a shit.

Miyamoto said that there were going to be changes in the next Zelda game.

Also, it's a company's job to make money; often they don't care how they get it. Besides, there are many of us that enjoy the core franchises' familiar gameplay styles, me being one of them. (I also think that a futuristic Zelda would be cool, so I'm not one way or the other.)

There's giving a legit complaint, and then there's whining.

Look at the industry statistics, creating a new genre or franchise is a very difficult and a risky endeavor. Many "new genre" games also fail dismally because people simply aren't sure about them. For this reason, most businesses try to stick to a core set of franchises or genres. The frequent alternative is to go after movie licenses. If you want new and original IPs, look for RPGs (which tend to rely on branding for success) or look to new companies that are starting from scratch. Considering that the big newsmakers are: Gears of War II, FFXIII, Resident Evil 5 and God of War III; I don't see how you can fault Nintendo.

As to these "tech demos", that is perhaps the best way to unveil a new gadget. Create a cheap game to package it with so it can readily be used, and ensure that that game shows off what can be done. If it were to release alongside a hard-core game, it would not gain as wide of a market penetration. Also, it is showing third-parties that they will be given a fair chance on their system (rather than Nintendo leveraging its system control to their advantage).

As to mere "waggle" controls; waggle controls are fun. And when I play a game like Halo, I wish a had a waggle control for clubbing my foes. It simply feels right.

Is anyone turned off by the way they show people playing the games in wii commercials? Like this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36536.html

he is so delighted to be holding a whit thingy and be playing games and woohoo yay for wii everybody!!!1

I hate the wii, this game's graphics look like something out of a flash ad saying shoot the bunny get a free iphone!!

I can see plenty of concepts that would work for a new Zelda game. That 1:1 motion attachment could seriously be used for some deep 3rd-person swordplay. I'm envisioning an idea of how the Wiimote could be used as a bow by holding down a button while pulling it away from the analog stick attachment and then releasing to the sound of a "thwip" from the controller's speaker.

The Wii still has plenty of room for awesome, it just hasn't achieved it yet.

Not to mention that with 1:1 controls the ideal of an awesome light saber game is not far off.

I am not sure how much wii owners realize this, but a realistic Star Wars game where all you do is fight with Lightsabers will attract so many new people it's insane. Or at least... that's what all my non-wii playing friends say.

Well The Force Unleashed is coming up soon for the Wii, and Lucasarts got another company to handle the different ports of the game individually. From what I've seen thus far, they're trying to really incorporate the motion-sensing into the game, although it won't be using the 1:1 stuff. It seems ambitious, but it's a wait and see kind of thing.

I also agree that it's true that not all games for the system have to use the motion sensing, although when Nintendo is banking on it, well, they'd better deliver eventually. Once I see some stuff that makes me go "wow, I can't get this anywhere else!", then I'll be investing in the system.

So far it just seems like a souped up Gamecube to me.

smash bros more like button mash bros get a real fighting game

twighlight princess yay i can play the same exact game for the 50th time

zak & wiki just sounds gay

Hey, hey. I just want to let you know that nobody is going to take your cute rambling seriously. You're a joke. And a bad one, at that!

Massive disappointments this year... i thought at first Wii Music would allow some awesome jam sessions but the we are told you are FAKING everything. The drums however seemed pretty cool to control and were the only thing worth my interest in the entire showing. Would I pay money for a virtual drumkit??? Maybe $5... it should be a WiiWare title.

The unveiling of GTA Chinatown Wars gave me a kinda scared, crappy feeling. This will NOT be the first time Rockstar make a toned down version of GTA for a handheld. They made one for the GBA and it just didn't sell. Maybe because it sucked.

First of all, the DS cartridge will not hold enough data to make the Chinatown Wars half decent. GTA games have hours and hours of audio and a crapload of textures, all of which will be left behind for the DS version which may even have subtitles instead. If Rockstar and Nintendo were REALLY serious about introducing the franchise to the Nintendo crowd then they should be releasing a boxset of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas packaged together with a few bonus tidbits like new missions, a new radio station, and better lighting for GTAVC and GTA3.

As a person who has enjoyed the franchise on PC, Nintendo has always had the shortend of the stick purely due to storage issues. The GC discs couldn't hold San Andreas... but NOW the Wii discs can! It would be great to have the definitive classic collection complete with motion control to throw molotovs, hehe. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Instead we will have some lackluster silouette of a GTA game with a story probably as obsurd and crumby as True Crimes.

Was it just me, or did the snowboarding look kinda crumby. I mean, we had snowboarding in WiiFit so move on Nintendo! What about an update to Mario Kart Wii where the player can sit on the balance board and shift their weight for tighter cornering. You could leap over bigger traps by performing a jump motion etc.

What happened to WiiConnect24 and updating games with more functionality?

I feel like Nintendo are just gonna run out of gimmicks soon and then finally we'll have some awesome stuff.

I do hope that WiiSpeak will offer some kinda of telecommunication service for players to keep in touch easily with others players. It would be great to have a friend call you up on the Wii and your Wii Remote rings, then you press A to access a kind of VoIP service.