Origins Remix Contest! WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Jillian Aversa

(Winners announced below, along with additional prizes because y'all rock!)

Info

Welcome to the Origins Remix Contest, sponsored by audioMIDI and Sweetwater.com! This competition was open to all musicians, producers, and performers interested in arranging any of the following three songs from my debut New Age/World album, Origins:

The deadline is already passed, but I am leaving my files up in case anyone else wants to give remixing a try in the future. You are free to create your own interpretations at any time, so long as you:

A) Credit me as the original artist.

B) DO NOT SELL YOUR REMIXES. (If you are interesting in possibly releasing something commercially, please contact me at mail@jilliangoldin.com to discuss options.)

Files: http://www.soundtempest.net/jill/contest/

Prizes (more included!)

All three first-place song winners will receive:

• My upcoming vocal sample library (valued at $99), produced by Impact Soundworks. The product will feature a wide range of detailed, multisampled recordings covering both straight tone and vibrato singing, multiple vowels and consonants, phrases, and special effects!
  • Origins, signed with a personal message of your choice
  • A copy of my soon-to-be-released music video for the song "Hajime," in high-resolution on DVD
  • Promotion (of both the remix and its creator) on my website, MySpace, and newsletter

One overall grand prize winner will also be the recipient of a $75 gift certificate generously provided by audioMIDI.com, a favorite music gear shop of zircon and myself. With a great selection of unique music gear, excellent customer service and a never-ending supply of blowout items, rebates, and B-stocks, audioMIDI is among the best music equipment retailers on the net.

audiomidi.png

And one overall second place winner will receive a $50 gift certificate to Sweetwater.com, another great retailer of music equipment. They have a very wide selection of more traditional instruments and equipment, plus a highly-trained staff of "Sales Engineers" to answer your questions!

sweetwater.png

>>> Because I received so many incredible entries, I've decided to expand the prize list to include both Runners-Up and Honorable Mentions. Additional prizes are as follows! <<<

Runners-Up for each song will receive:

• Origins, signed with a personal message of your choice
  • Credit for a free download of the Holiday EP I will be releasing this winter
  • Another free download of any of zircon's four albums (courtesy of him!)
  • Promotion on my website, MySpace, and newsletter

Honorable Mentions will receive:

• A free download of Origins
  • Credit for a free download of the Holiday EP I will be releasing this winter
  • Links from my website, MySpace, and newsletter

The Winners...

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for! CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners. I will need be needing some additional info from all of you (including runners-up and honorable mentions), so please shoot me an email when you get the chance!

It really was extremely tough making these calls. Please do not be discouraged if you didn't win something this time around! The level of musicianship you all have demonstrated is impressive, and I'm genuinely honored that you took the time to make your entries. Be proud of what you've accomplished, and feel free to show them off regardless! :smile:

The Secret Guards of Kalé

***1st Place*** (And Grand Prize Winner):

Another Soundscape (Mattias Häggström Gerdt)

Another Soundscape turned my somewhat mysterious, groovy original piece into an in-your-face, funky, fantastical electro-pop extravaganza! The remix doesn't just make you want to dance; it makes you want do it LIKE A ROBOT. Catchy to the point of infectiousness, Matthias' efforts are having me seriously considering the possibility of a future music video. Can't you see it? Little dancing robots, building your new house? Putting sugar cubes in your coffee? Making the world a happy place?

*Tied Runners-Up*:

ChRoNiC (Dan Petrie)

Bronx Rican (José E. Felix)

ChRoNic (apparently Rayza's little bro) came out of nowhere for me, but something tells me we will be hearing a lot more from him! His Kalé club mix is unique in that he basically placed my vocals in an entirely original context... And it's honestly as well done as anything I've heard in professional venues. Don't be surprised if you hear it in one, too, because I plan on seriously pursuing the possibility of an electronic label release if he's up for it.

The title for José's "Move Aside" mix says it all. When I listen to this Kalé mix, I actually feel a little cooler than I really am. (Is that wrong? :lol:) A totally chill out interpretation that will have you tapping your toes and wiggling in your seat, it's hard to imagine this one ever getting old. Jazz organ, electric piano, funky sinewavs, and some of the coolest vocal processing I've ever heard!

Very Honorable Mention:

Mark Carpenter

Mark Carpenter's remix is something of an "enhanced" version of my own style... and it's something I could even imagine on a future album release. World percussion, pizzicato strings, and a syncopation of the original rhythm that really gets you in the groove.

Red July

***1st Place*** (And overall 2nd Place Winner):

Nathan Rich

Nathan Rich may be a newcomer to this particular community, but he certainly doesn't sound like a newcomer to music production! With a great flow and a very polished sound, he brilliantly the rearranged Red July's chorus rhythm and chopped the original instrumental parts. Top that off with heavy, varied percussion, haunting bells, and an ending that will send shivers up your spine... and we have ourselves a winner!

*Runner-Up*:

Malcos (Stephen Malcolm-Howell)

Malcos' Red July remix is an extremely strong second in my mind, turning the song into a sultry RnB track that may very well put you in the mood for love. His silky smooth voice blends so well with mine that you might almost miss his amazing new harmonies... I just keep wondering why we haven't actively collaborated yet! (Shall we change that?)

Very Honorable Mention:

Uriel (Uriel Yehezkel)

I've loved Uriel's interpretation of "Red July" since I first heard it. Epic orchestral work befitting of a film score, he expanded upon the original chords with interesting string parts and percussive flourishes that get your heart pounding.

Avalon

***1st Place*** (And overall 3rd Place Winner):

Rayza (Hayden Petrie)

How could you not feel good listening to this one? Rayza did a fantastic job turning "Avalon" into an uplifting trance anthem with all new chords and a really powerful chorus. The context in which he placed my high-octave vocalise and flute parts perfectly complements his new synth solo. It's timeless, it's fun, and who knows... It could be the next Euro club hit! I love it.

*Runner-Up*:

Illoper

Illoper is somewhat of an enigma to me at the moment - he didn't even give his real name or website when submitting his remix - but he clearly had awesome ideas for "Avalon"! Using what I assume is some really skilled auto-tuning, he re-harmonized my melodies and harmonies creatively and effectively. Epic choruses contrasting with some more reflective sections, the result is a bittersweet Pop song... and it sounds great!

-------

Once again, fantastic job to all! I hope you continue to enjoy the product of your efforts as much as I have and will. ^-^

Sorry for the difficulty with the Red July pack, the SoundTempest FTP has been repeatedly messing up its transfer, apparently. It's up now, however.

The "Secret Guards" pack has been updated to include the second verse, that was my mistake! You can also download that part direcly from:

http://www.soundtempest.net/jill/SG%20Vox%20Verse%202.wav

I wanted to ask this last night on the chat, but my Internet kicked me off before I could:

What is "general musicality?"

"Overall musicality" would include things like the quality of the arrangement, structure, performance (if there are any live instruments)... Whatever sensitivity is needed to make it sound good. ^_~

I missed out on zircon's contest last year because I was lazy. Let's see what happens when I'm not so lazy, shall we? I'm looking forward to this, and it doesn't matter if I win, I just want to do something awesome.

Are you going to be horribly biased when judging the remixes btw? Like, checking who made it and whatnot?

It would be an unnecessary hassle to devise an anonymous submitting system, so I will know who made the remixes. But I'd never lean towards any particular artist because I know them, or know of them.

This is one reason that I said ALL entries will be considered for future releases. ^-^ Some heavy genre like metal, hip hop, or happy hardcore could theoretically win the contest based on the three criteria I cited, but may never be added to one of my albums because it doesn't fit in terms of style. A low key new age one, on the other hand, may be a better candidate for future releases, but not actually win if it isn't as well made. Make sense?

I will be picking my favorites based on the creativity, production, and musicality indicators. That being said, if I get a bunch of equally creative, polished submissions for the same song... I would probably lean towards the one that would be best suited for mutual promotion. Basically: if our genres are so vastly different that fans of either artist would skip over the news out of indifference - or disgust, haha! - that isn't exactly ideal. But they could still be just different enough to attract attention or curiosity... So NOBODY SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED from doing something in a genre they enjoy and excel with.

Also, since there's no limit to ammount of entries.. is it possible to win in more than one category?

It's certainly possible, but unlikely. I think there will be a large enough pool of awesome entries to avoid repeat winners.