OCR00974 - Secret of Mana "Secret of Spram (8 Bells Mix)"

djpretzel

haha i was contemplating whether or not to make a post regarding this song when it first came out. well im glad its made another home here, its definately a very well done piece. a must for any som fan.. and just dl it neway even if ur not an som fan. this stuff rocks!

Awesome stuff. Just great.

(Well, maybe the violin could use a little bit of tuning, and a little bit of reverb or a cut filter on the high end a touch to make it blend more. It seems (this isn't exactly a complaint) is if everyone here has the same set of piano samples... I'm sure I've heard these keys in at least three different remixes here. How odd.)

That stuff is all in brackets because these are tiny, tiny complaints. This remix made me quite happy. Mmmmm.

By the way, is this the same Spram of Blimpo Warrior notoriety?

This is a very well done mix, good voicing and full of motion, but to be perfectly honest, it wasn't very inspiring. For one, as a violinist, I absolutely hate violin fonts. The use of this font was cleverly executed, allowing the notes to taper off before it achieved a whiney vibrato, but it still suffers from the other weakness of violin fonts: harsh attacks (the attack at 3:31/32 for example is outta control), and ambiguous tuning. Still, big kudos to anyone with the skill to push a violin font up to this level of quality. Also, when the guitar comes in I just want to sit back and groove. Unfortunately it's a bit quiet, possibly because of the sometimes uneven and late strumming. Seriously though, I'm nitpicking, these are little things, but it was enough to keep me from jumping out of my chair and lauding this piece.

Mustin AND JAXX? cant go wrong with that. Its very chill and nice. I don't really know if someone could point out anything wrong with this song. The instruments used are great and they are used well. I loved the little violin part, nice little break from the rest. If there would be a secret of mana remix, this would be great for it :P I don't know who Kassi is or what she/he had part in this song, but good job too. I'd write up more stuff....but usualy long reviews are all the mistakes in the mix and what should be changed yadi yadah...But its great the way it is.

-Gman

This remix was excellent, EXCEPT FOR THE FRIGGIN BASS. I basically registered so I could let this be known, there is waaaay too much emphasis on bass and fake electronic crap nowadays. Now I'll leave the electronic stuff alone, I realize it's a form of music, people like it, I should be open-minded, blah blah blah, but the bass issue remains as even supposed rockers are being sucked into this phenom. This remix would've been gold, if the "thump-thump-thump-ta-da-THUMP" bass was taken out, so we could actually hear the melody. But that's just my gripe, less bass and more orchestral/rock.

Hey djpretzel, are you fat with a 'ph'?

This remix would've been gold, if the "thump-thump-thump-ta-da-THUMP" bass was taken out, so we could actually hear the melody. But that's just my gripe, less bass and more orchestral/rock.

I'm guessing you've never really listened to music from the 70s.

As for other peoples' complaints about this being repetitive...I just don't hear that, sorry. Yes, the melody reprises, but that's what most songs do. I think there are enough changeups and differences in the sections to save it from being repetitive--this obviously isn't a cut-and-paste job.

JAXX is a musician; he might be down and out right now, but I have a feeling we will hear more from him just because he has no say in the matter. :P

-steve

Dj P. said

I know we've got a lot of Secret of Mana fans out there

you know it man, and you know what? Theres alot of secret of evermore fans out there too, that are S.O.M fans, or factioned with them. Now, why I do not see very many S.O.E. songs, I do not know, but I hope there will be some more at the very least...

In my opionion you guys or/and girls did a very good job, possibly the best S.O.M. remix that touched me.

I don't really find the bass to overpowered at all....seems to add a nice background beat.

This remix is really fabulous, and its of my favorite SoM song :) This one's going into my playlist.

Now all we need is a Mana Beast remix, and my SoM collection will be complete :)

There's a part in the beginning that sounds a lot like the song "Let Me Fall".. Not sure who it's by though, since I've only recently heard it at a choir performance at my school. Anyway, the violins were really catchy in this mix. All I have to say is that I love this, brings back great memories of Secret of Mana, and the Ice Land. :)

Hm... Nothing against the Crew of "OneUpStudios". Jaxx is a great guitar Player, Kassie a really good piano player (check out another collab with Mustin on this site) and Mustin knows a lot in producing. Please don't get me wrong, the song is good, but there are some things that are bugging me a bit. But listen to this song for yourself. Perhaps you have an own opinion about it.

First of all the "70ies" thing:

Okay, Master Pordon was right with the fact that the bass was louder at that time, but it's still a tad too loud. The next thing is the drumset. It's nice arranganged and all, but still too synthetic. If Mustin choosed to use perhaps another set (or the all so loved "Soundfonts"), perhaps this one had a bit more of "70ies Feeling". Not to mention the guitar, for this style a bit too quiet in my opinion. This can really destroy the overall mood sometimes.

To the song itself:

It's well produced - nothing to say against it. I also read two times the words "just professional" on this board. But there're some major problems with volume issues. Especially if some instruments get lost in the volume/compression mumbo-jumbo. A pity somehow.

And Dark Paladin was right. This Remix is not only aviable on "OneUpStudios" but was on VGMix (while it was still up) too.

This is oh-so-smooth... and I love it. I appreciate that extra bit of 'love' (attention to professional production) that went into it. Even a musical illiterate like me can tell. Also, I agree with the 70's soundtrack assessment, though to me it seems it would be just as at-home on a Stereolab record.

I understand this is not new, but it's new to me, and just may be my new favorite OC Remix. Thanx guys.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00974 - Secret of Mana "Secret of Spram (8 Bells Mix)"