OCR00974 - Secret of Mana "Secret of Spram (8 Bells Mix)"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the mix to listen to on an evening like tonight. Thunder rumbles closer and lightning strikes the sky, bahaha! A silver flash illuminates the dull grey of the world for one perfect second, half-remembered, and is gone.

• 8 months later...

This is excellent!

A melodic slow start, you think it's going to be a mellow harmonic piece - and when the beat increases and draws you in... you can't get enough.

The wind instrument tune feel like a summer day in a garden. I mean, really - that's the picture I get EVERY time I listen to this remix.

I love it!

• 4 months later...

Man, this is how a remix should be done. The pads are just so effective. And the ocassional space between the bass guitar riff works so well. Man, when that song comes in, I can just see Shaft around the corner. Very talented remixer, great sequencing, good mixing, pretty good sounds, overall one of my favorite SoM remixes. It definitely sounds like it could have been on an authentic Squaresoft remix of SoM. Love the acoustic guitar.

• 11 months later...

To be honest, this is probably one of my favorite remixes. It's one of the very few songs I have that simply makes me want to crank up the volume when I hear it (which I do if no one's around).

I don't believe I had heard the original theme before first listening to this, but after I compared the two I like how this works with it. Good stuff.

• 7 months later...

I would appreciate a specific number of how many instruments that was used to create this remix, I'm very curious. It sounded a little weird in the beginning when it suddenly decided to release everything at once after the bass and piano, but you got into it pretty quickly. I can see other's point about this remix being repetive, since when the real stuff begin, they go two rounds about it. The guitar session after it was swell, it hit the spot precisely. A new round came straiht afterwards, but I don't bother so much about it. The wide selection of samples and instruments copmensated it, it was amusing to give it a listen.

Too bad that this was JAXX's last OCR debut, but it seems like OCR has survived that loss. Maybe I'll need to listen to more of his work, DyluckComeHome was actually quite good.

• 7 months later...

This is one of my favorite remixes from Secret of Mana. I find that didn't already post a fan review of the song already. The intro is executed well and goes into a catchy tune. The play between a number of instruments especially with a piano highlight every once in a while is handled very well. I will have to agree that there is some repetition in the remix but only gets mildly annoying when listening to it a number of times consecutively.

• 2 years later...

i frickin love this remix

notice: game music in-game is way more repetitive than any remix on this whole site. it's an easy and overused critique.

imo. considering all the repetition i get while playing the actual game, any remix on this site is nowhere near close as repetitive as who many times you will hear themes looped in game...

• 11 months later...

Some of the samples are a bit dated now (specifically the violins), but the live performances are great. The mixing is also a little bass heavy, but I can dig it. No one ever got fired for adding more bass into the mix.

Overall pretty good, and very unique- these kinds of collabs are very cool to hear some new directions that mixers otherwise wouldn't have normally taken.

• 3 months later...

This is definitely one of my favorite sources from SoM, so, like the article mentioned, I'm glad I finally got around to checking this out. Much more upbeat than the original, with much different instrumentation, and yet it works so well. As usual I'm going to have to say that the flute parts are probably my favorite, aside from the intro, which I absolutely love.

The intro really reminds of, also like the article, go figure, an oldschool movie, or perhaps even TV-show intro. I can picture it cutting to a bunch of characters doing their thing so coolly and calmly, with credits rolling, if you can visualize what I mean.

Always nice to find old gems, and there are still so many I'm sure I haven't found!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00974 - Secret of Mana "Secret of Spram (8 Bells Mix)"