Kingdom Hearts 2 'Rowdy Rumble'

Repeating with the additional instruments feels a bit redundant. It doesn't really help that they're in the wrong key. :P It clashes.

It's still repetitive. Listen to some ocremixes and compare them to their source. They don't repeat themselves like this, they've got different backing, textures, soundscaping, variants of the melodies, rewritten parts, etc...

imo you should focus on the writing. Make it a cool solo organ piece, honky-tonk piano piece... something with just one instrument. Work on the progression (where it goes from what) and dynamics (how intense the different sections are), see what you end up with.

You might benefit from starting a new project, and writing this track from memory. If you get something wrong, it might be a change that improves the track, sets it apart from the original more.

If either of those things work out, if you do try them, add instruments, see if it gets better or just messy.

That's what I think. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Big fan of Kingdom Hearts music myself. If I had to give some advice, it's that this is way too close to the source material. You need some original material to go in here with what you've already got going. Sounds like you've got some originality going on here, and that's a good thing. Keep polishing!

I'm not diggin' the drum samples. They seem to really clash with the piano, especially the toms (I think that's what I'm hearing, not sure). I'd suggest more hat and ride action with rim hits for the lower punctuation and some (very) light snare to balance it out for the places where you don't want it to feel more intense. In the "heavier" parts the other stuff is more fitting, but right now it doesn't really go with what you've got.

I actually really like the approach you're taking in it, as the near honky-tonk piano style isn't common, and still holds my interest.

The organ part at the end makes me think too much of Dancing Mad from teh FF6 soundtrack. It's not the arrangement, it's just the way it's used.

I like the improvement, and I think this piece is worth continuing on. The next version seems like it's going to be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a new version to try new drums and a little piano variation in the second part (not a great improvement).

Well, as a very big KH enthusiast.. (I modded 2 PS2s for the Final Mixes and Re:CoM) I see a lot of it drawing back from the original. Too much. It's way too similar to the first to be a good remix~ So now that the criticizing is done, now comes the part where I try to help and see if anyone listens..

The second part with the crazy piano I like a little more, as it adds craziness to it.

Which is what the song is about. It's a "Rowdy Rumble"; lots of Pete fights and/or mini game involving putting naughty children in boxes. Also the Hyena fights~ The point of which, it should be crazy but at the same time not crazy enough to take away from the original song.

How to do this? I don't know any techy jargin...but I would suggest speeding it up in some parts (or the whole thing after like a slow beginning). Some sound effects from KH would be pretty cool if applied in the right way, and the occasional tune that we'd recognize as the Original Song.

• 1 month later...
Well, as a very big KH enthusiast.. (I modded 2 PS2s for the Final Mixes and Re:CoM) I see a lot of it drawing back from the original.

I did the same thing, except I used swap magic XD And now I just need to learn japanese to understand my copy of 358/2 Days :(

How to do this? I don't know any techy jargin...but I would suggest speeding it up in some parts (or the whole thing after like a slow beginning). Some sound effects from KH would be pretty cool if applied in the right way, and the occasional tune that we'd recognize as the Original Song.

I like that idea, using sound effects from KH. The first thing that came to my mind when reading that was Sora saying "Stop" from the first game. Not sure if you'd wanna use something like that (could have him say it and slow down the mix at points, or something like that) but it's a thought.

Second "idea" that came to my mind (not sure how doable this would be, hence the quotes around idea), if you use sound effects, maybe use the spell names and have the mix tempo change accordingly to what was said. Like maybe using "Fire!" to speed up the mix, whatever he says (I think it's "Freeze") for blizzard to slow it down, or give it a calmer tempo for a little bit. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just trying to give some suggestions.

I agree it's way too similar to the first, but it's coming along. You just need to find that certain something to make it your own.

One thing I thought of was those old silent film comedies where just a bunch of crazy stuff is going on and the music kind of matches what is going on. Maybe look into some of those? If you haven't already, that is. Who knows, could possibly come up with a name that way too.

It's sounding good though, and you should definitely keep working on it. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I did the same thing, except I used swap magic XD And now I just need to learn japanese to understand my copy of 358/2 Days :(

I like that idea, using sound effects from KH. The first thing that came to my mind when reading that was Sora saying "Stop" from the first game. Not sure if you'd wanna use something like that (could have him say it and slow down the mix at points, or something like that) but it's a thought.

Second "idea" that came to my mind (not sure how doable this would be, hence the quotes around idea), if you use sound effects, maybe use the spell names and have the mix tempo change accordingly to what was said. Like maybe using "Fire!" to speed up the mix, whatever he says (I think it's "Freeze") for blizzard to slow it down, or give it a calmer tempo for a little bit. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just trying to give some suggestions.

I agree it's way too similar to the first, but it's coming along. You just need to find that certain something to make it your own.

One thing I thought of was those old silent film comedies where just a bunch of crazy stuff is going on and the music kind of matches what is going on. Maybe look into some of those? If you haven't already, that is. Who knows, could possibly come up with a name that way too.

It's sounding good though, and you should definitely keep working on it. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

Um..thanks? And I used Magic Swap too, it just killed the first PS2. ._. So I made the other one with the flip top. Already cleared through 358/2 Days! EPIC EPIC! Cannot find a ripped soundtrack yet though, but I so want one.

And Mr. Chernabog person guy...Where are the links?

Ah thanks. -listens- I detect the crazy, but it still feels slow. At least to me. ._. like each part is broken up to show the melodies from each section you made. Which is okay, if it was a tad slower. It feels like it's in the middle ground of too slow/too fast for either way.

Course, I have been listening to the ultra-fast version that is 358/2 Days, what with constantly chasing down those speedy Soldiers. .-. Which is pretty much what I think about when I hear this song now. Why not experimentally crank it up a bit? I know it'd shorten the song, but if you start off slow with the first part (much slower), then bring it up fast and keep it at it's fast pace with maybe a drum beat to make their head bob to the tune... -nods nods- I hope that helps?

Ah thanks. -listens- I detect the crazy, but it still feels slow. At least to me. ._. like each part is broken up to show the melodies from each section you made. Which is okay, if it was a tad slower. It feels like it's in the middle ground of too slow/too fast for either way.

Course, I have been listening to the ultra-fast version that is 358/2 Days, what with constantly chasing down those speedy Soldiers. .-. Which is pretty much what I think about when I hear this song now. Why not experimentally crank it up a bit? I know it'd shorten the song, but if you start off slow with the first part (much slower), then bring it up fast and keep it at it's fast pace with maybe a drum beat to make their head bob to the tune... -nods nods- I hope that helps?

Yeah, thanks ! I tried to speed up (a little) the second part of the song and it sounds prety cool. (Click the image for the new WIP)

stats.png

Yeah, thanks ! I tried to speed up (a little) the second part of the song and it sounds prety cool. (Click the image for the new WIP)

stats.png

Sounding better. .w. The only thing I'd recommend now is my personal tastes which are to use some different instruments. -prefers synth on everything- But that's just me. I think whatever you want to go for from here is good.