Dead Rising for Wii

The Damned

Guys, if you look at the dang screenshots they show a Level 1 Frank in the mall. Odds are those screenshots are from the first day of the game when zombies are really spread out to begin with. Moreover, they're probably from a beta version of the game. We'll be getting more than ten zombies at a time. I rarely editorialize like this, but if you *really* think Capcom would dumb down Dead Rising that much, you have to be pretty goddamn dense.

There will probably be fewer packed together, yes. But I'm willing to bet we'll still be seeing dozens of zombies at a time. Give it a chance, and let's get some more detailed screenshots or a gameplay video before we discount it as rubbish, all right?

I am a little disappointed that they're removing the photo function. It was pretty funny to be able to capture comical moments forever on the 360 version. Though really, its functional use to the story is actually quite limited. It was primarily used in a couple of quests and leveling up, but it wasn't a crucial element. So the omission's not that terrible in the long run.

Mission structure is the one thing I'm worried about, though if it alleviates Otis calling you every two minutes on the damn transceiver it'll be worth it. I hope Capcom keeps the time management element there because that's part of what made the game intense. It's all a big wait and see on that too.

It seems that in the latest issue of Nintendo Power Capcom has said their goal is to get more than 100 zombies on screen at a time, still a considerably lower number compared to its 360 counterpart. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a number of work-arounds to make the mall feel more populated than it really is.

However, this drawdown does hurt a few areas of the game, notably the maintenance tunnels, Al Fresca Plaza (Day 3), and the North Plaza (Day 3). I'm not sure what they'll do to compensate, but it'll probably be something. We'll see.

The other thing to note from the article is the presence of multiple save files, selectable difficulty levels, and that Overtime Mode is now part of the main story rather than an optional sidequest. Sounds like you may still be on a time limit, but from the sound of it the time limits might be more forgiving than the 360 version. The article also cites that there will be at least a handful of new juice mixes to discover. As well, it seems quick swings with melee weapons are mapped to the A Button on the Wiimote while your power attacks may require Wiimote Motion. The example used in the magazine showed the Baseball Bat. You may have to wind up for it and swing the remote when the charge gauge is filled. Interesting idea. While we're on items, it seems that they are eliminating some of the redundant items, while adding a few new ones. The article cited that the Lead Pipe and 2x4, which pretty much did the same thing, are being drawn down into a single item.

Here's where I'm going to take a few stabs in the dark: I imagine that they'll drop a number of the monster masks you put on the heads of the zombies. They didn't get used very often anyway, especially when buckets, cones, and Servbot masks were more convenient anyway. They'll probably cut stuff like the Gems and the CDs and probably the Fish too. A lot of those items were superfluous and were only used when bored anyway.

The screenshots in Nintendo Power looked considerably better than the ones posted online when the thread was started. Graphical drawdown is still obvious, particularly with the lack of shine on the floors of the mall (which now look markedly drab) and to some degree on the zombies as well. Frank still looks quite good, and the mall does appear to be very close to the original, if a lot less shiny and pretty.

Guess we'll just have to wait for more. I'd like to see a gameplay movie sometime soon.

EDIT: Forgot to note that Wiimote gestures to dodge attacks (specifically psychopath attacks) have been added as well. The screenshot shows a prompt to shake the remote horizontally to jump out of the way of a bull rush from Cletus.

Why is it that whenever a port is announced for the Wii, everyone assumes right off the bat that it's going to suck? I can't believe I just wasted my time reading 4 pages of people whining over hypothetical situations. I feel like I'm on the GameFAQs forums.

I've just grown accustomed to a more intelligent form of speculation around here... not this "OMGZ DED RIZING WITH WAGLEZ GIOING 2 SUX HAR HAR" drivel.

Personally, I haven't heard official mention of any downgrades that Capcom hasn't addressed yet. From what I've read so far, it sounds like they're doing their best to make sure this game stays fun. Let's let them do their thing before we pass judgment.

I've just grown accustomed to a more intelligent form of speculation around here... not this "OMGZ DED RIZING WITH WAGLEZ GIOING 2 SUX HAR HAR" drivel.

Personally, I haven't heard official mention of any downgrades that Capcom hasn't addressed yet. From what I've read so far, it sounds like they're doing their best to make sure this game stays fun. Let's let them do their thing before we pass judgment.

1. Your on forums dude, any forum is going to have the kind of people that may shoot down a console, and if you can't take it/ignore it, well, sign out. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just being honest. You should have been here when we had two guys that were almost always arguing with someone here, or at least insulting someone, Cuddly Pyramind Head and Firedrake. I'll admit most brought it upon themselves, but heck, in arguements on the net, nobody really wins...

2. I've heard almost nothing about Dead Rising on Wii, minus screen shots. Whether I want to even go through the game again after how frustrating it was to me, I don't know. It had a good story, great music, and lots of good 'ol school beatm em up stuff, but again, don't really think I want to even go through it all again. Heck, I'm at the point where almost no game, new or old, is just not that entertaining to me anymore.

I refrain from reviews, mostly because the critics can't get their heads out of their backsides (Play magazine, and EGM, for example). But now I'm getting off topic...

I dunno... I guess I always thought most of OCR was above this kind of behavior these days.

we had two guys that were almost always arguing with someone here, or at least insulting someone, Cuddly Pyramind Head and Firedrake.

I remember that... actually I guess that's my problem with all this. It reminds me way to much of the old days when half the threads would derail because a bunch of people were always trolling and arguing about something. The site has gotten a lot more mature since then.

Then again, I suppose I'm not doing much to stop the whining and derailing by whining and derailing myself, so I'll stop posting in here now.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for the double-post, but considering the length of time that's passed, I feel it's warranted.

A gameplay video for Chop Til You Drop has been released at Leipzig GC 08:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14267382/dead-rising/videos/deadrising_gc082008_wii.html

The video is taken from the beta version of the game that was used to give the early screenshots. Capcom has stated that this early build does not hold nearly as many zombies as the final one will.

The good news is the game looks pretty smooth all things considered and aiming looks relatively intuitive. The Resident Evil 4 Wii Engine really shows through in the video. More good news comes from that there seems to be at least a handful of new enemies.

The bad news is it seems like the emphasis has been shifted back toward guns considerably more than the original. The GameSpot preview indicates that there will be separate inventory slots just for guns. I just hope that melee viability is still possible given this change. Several melee weapons have been cut too. We knew this from before, but GameSpot is reiterating it, so it's probably a noticeable change. The only real gripe I have about the graphics are the shadows in the game. We expected significant graphical downgrade, but the black blobs beneath people as shadows wore thin in the N64 era. It just looks cheesy considering the rest of the game looks okay, relatively speaking.

I'm confident now that Dead Rising can work functionally on the Wii, but I remain cautious on whether the game will be as morbidly fun as its 360 counterpart.