Sonic Advance 2 'Egg Rocket Zone'

Kruai

Well, I probably couldn't give you a professional opinion on it, but it sounds good so far. This is actually one my personal favorite Sonic songs. I think the song could use some touching up, but I like it for the most part.

Oh yeah, and the song is from Sonic Advance (1), not Sonic Advance 2. You might want to change the thread title. :-P

Usually, people ignore the pan feature. You, on the other hand, totally overdid it. The stereo soundscape in the first section after the intro is a little too wide, at least without a clear lead to follow. imo, anyway.

Drums... The samples sound pretty good to me, but the panning is a problem. Kick and snare belong in the middle, and breaking that convention makes the track annoying to listen to.

Guitars are noisy, and the whole soundscape could use some serious EQ cuts to clear it up. Yes, it needs to be cleared up.

You've also mixed everything very loud. Bring down everything by 10 dB and then raise the stuff you need. If it's too soft, use a compressor/limiter on the master to take it back to 0dB.

Source is definitely there, tho someone who's heard the source more could tell if it's up to OCR's standards of interpretation. The writing, overall, it a little repetitive, but you manage to keep it fresh with breaks and weird effects. That's where your drum panning would actually serve some use besides from annoying the listener - as an effect that you use once or twice. You could still use some more variation in stuff, imo.

Overall, this is a fairly good wip, but it's got loads of production issues. You obviously know your way around the toolbox, so I have no doubt you'd be able to clean this up with secateurs and varnish. Good luck with it.

Usually, people ignore the pan feature. You, on the other hand, totally overdid it. The stereo soundscape in the first section after the intro is a little too wide, at least without a clear lead to follow. imo, anyway.

Drums... The samples sound pretty good to me, but the panning is a problem. Kick and snare belong in the middle, and breaking that convention makes the track annoying to listen to.

Guitars are noisy, and the whole soundscape could use some serious EQ cuts to clear it up. Yes, it needs to be cleared up.

You've also mixed everything very loud. Bring down everything by 10 dB and then raise the stuff you need. If it's too soft, use a compressor/limiter on the master to take it back to 0dB.

Source is definitely there, tho someone who's heard the source more could tell if it's up to OCR's standards of interpretation. The writing, overall, it a little repetitive, but you manage to keep it fresh with breaks and weird effects. That's where your drum panning would actually serve some use besides from annoying the listener - as an effect that you use once or twice. You could still use some more variation in stuff, imo.

Overall, this is a fairly good wip, but it's got loads of production issues. You obviously know your way around the toolbox, so I have no doubt you'd be able to clean this up with secateurs and varnish. Good luck with it.

Thanks Rozovian! But I wouldn't say I "know my way around the toolbox" just yet. I appreciate the clarity of your post. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, I like this a lot! And I loved the source tune, so I was excited to see a remix of it. If it were me, I would take out the "dooooooooooo-ddodda-deeeeeeeee" clicky synth in the last one/two go-rounds .and replace it with something more powerful. It feels a little too unassertive in the climax to really rock out to, so that's why. I really , REALLY liked this though - I hope you can get it up because it rocks!

• 5 weeks later...
Ooh, I like this a lot! And I loved the source tune, so I was excited to see a remix of it. If it were me, I would take out the "dooooooooooo-ddodda-deeeeeeeee" clicky synth in the last one/two go-rounds .and replace it with something more powerful. It feels a little too unassertive in the climax to really rock out to, so that's why. I really , REALLY liked this though - I hope you can get it up because it rocks!

Ooo, thanks a lot windkirby. I will definitely try to change up the climax a bit (when I have the time - it will be a while before I submit it if I ever get there). That's definitely the most positive comment I have ever gotten about my music :)