Cool upcoming free MMO - Perfect WOrld

Dark_T_Zeratul

Here's what I want to know:

Is it an MMO like all other MMOs where you just grind monsters, or is it an actual game that you play? Am I rewarded for playing-skill instead of time-spent-playing?

MMOs are always attractive to me because they're free and they usually have some nice art direction and graphics, but they're inevitably not-fun because I basically end up grinding monsters with auto-attack. I don't really like standing there watching my character attack a monster and occasionally throwing a spell in. :(

Well, I'm not sure if you'd consider normal PvE fighting skill-based (it's fairly similar to WoW's, only you generally use a lot more skills and a lot fewer auto-attacks), but endgame PvP consists of massive-scale guild vs. guild battles for control of whole areas of the world map. I haven't tried it out yet, but from the videos and such I've seen it might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

The one thing I don't like about free mmo's are bots that camp monster areas and rape the loot and exp that the real players are trying to get.

I highly doubt this "Perfect World" will be anything but.

Most of those bots are run by Chinese farmers but every region that has a licensed version of this game is IP blocked. No Chinese, no Malaysians, no Japanese, no Philippines, and whatever else I forgot. True, some bots do run from inside the US, but since the levels are so high, and I bet most of the best loot is probably going to be in instances, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

By the way, I'll be starting a casual guild where it'll be more like a community of friends rather than of gamers, if anyone's interested you're free to join up. =)

@DarkeSword: I don't really find any MMO being on a mostly skill-based measurement, except Guild Wars because of it's limit on 8 skills in the skillbar. On the other hand, I find that PvP and raid aspects such as those found in WoW do require more skill/thought than just running around killing stuff, though most people will bitch at you for having shitty equipment. Like what Zeratul said, you can't really measure that until you get into the game.

EDIT: And does anyone really like that music in the teaser video on the front page? Someone should remix it >_>

God almighty. Sooner or later, MMORPGs won't even bother including classes. You'll just have a bunch of races to play as that all fit a certain archetype. HAY GUYZ EVERY SINGLE ELF IN THE WORLD IS AN ARCHER. ISN'T THIS FUN.

Hi Guys, I joined this forum just to answer some of your questions regarding PW. First of, I been loving this games since I played it more than 2 months now. I am by from the Philippines so I play on our local server there. I have a lvl 63 Human Mage. I think the only difference between PW.MY and PW.PH is the former had more of the latest stuffs. But the "Engrish" you talked about are both present. Luckily, there are some websites that offer "Walkthoughs" and mob locations if you ever get stuck.

Just some details:

Inroduction on Characters:

3 Character types with 2 Classes for each. Human have Warrior and Mage Class; Winged Elf Type have Priest and Archer; Beast Type have WareBeast(Tanker) and WareFox(Tamer). Beast Type are gender locked but the others have both female and male selection.

On Equipments:

Each character can wear Helm, Armor, Pants, Armlet, Cape, Boots and some necklaces and rings as long as the char satisfies the items stat requirement. 3 types of equipes: Heavy, Light and Mystics). Only few weapons (Holy weapons, etc) are locked on a certain class, hence an Archers can yield a bow or a sword or an Axe or a fist as long as he satisfies the STR and DEX requirement for it.

On Leveling:

In PW, Doing quest can give you tons of XP in the beginning so it is very fast to level up to 40 but becomes slow aafterwards. As to date our local GMs have fixed the bot and jump hack problems before they spread big time, so no worries on those kind of people there. Quest can range to killing x number of monsters to just doing errands or meeting some NPC. At certain levels, there are some quests that are repeatable each day so that helps a lot in leveling.

At every 10 levels, you get an instance quest (cave quest) where you need to party up with higher level char to kill the boss, the higher levels can get the same XP as you do on that quest so usually they are willing to help.

On Crafting:

There are craft leveling for Forging weapons, armors, herbs and necklaces. You can try to get some very good items using craft, if you don't like the craft's result, you can always sell it to NPC, other players or put it on the auction.

On Pets:

Quite standard on othe MMORPG. Some pets are huge but only the WareFox can use pets for battle, for other classes, it's just for show. Included here are the mountable pets which does not actually fight but just take you faster to different locations of the map.

Skills:

I'd say there are enough skills here and quite good graphics specially on the higher level skills. Anyway to learn skills, you have to go to a certain NPC for your class (Master NPC) and each skill have esteem(ranking) and level requirement and cost some yuan (in game money) plus soul points (skill points). Awesome AOEs for most char on level 60 and up.

PVP:

I think this is also one of the differences between PH and MY. At level 30, you can do PK and you can be PKed but in PH server, you can still choose not to engage on PKs by not enabling the PK mode. In this case, you just engage in proper Duel and not be hit behind your back.

So I highly recommend this game. I am also planning to play the NA version hopefully this is no IP Ban for Asia here. I'm excited to play on a different community this time.

By the way, this is really a free MMORPG. The company just earns money if you buy some stuffs in the Item Mall. But still the prices are not that high compared to others. Of course this will be dependent on the server.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing since Tuesday night. I'm at level 21 right now and just started a little guild. Right now the story is kinda lacking, it only seems to be getting into it after level 20. 1-20 is a little grindy with all the killing quests, but the monsters are easier to kill when compared to WoW.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that with reducing the servers to only one PvP and one PvE and with open beta players the game has drastically been reduced in quality. The number of killing quests is now more annoying than ever because everyone else is killing them. Squading, while it helps to alleviate the situation, doesn't solve it. There's much to be done with this game before it's out of beta.

I think that with reducing the servers to only one PvP and one PvE and with open beta players the game has drastically been reduced in quality. The number of killing quests is now more annoying than ever because everyone else is killing them. Squading, while it helps to alleviate the situation, doesn't solve it. There's much to be done with this game before it's out of beta.
Unfortunately, that's one thing that we weren't able to test particularly well. With only ten people on the test server (when we started; we're down to five QA people now), there was never any real competition for mobs between us. I think the best thing you can probably do is send a friendly e-mail with your concerns to customerservice@perfectworldinc.com and we'll pass them on to the developers. I can't promise they'll listen, but it's the best way to get your thoughts to us.
I think I came sum up this game in two words.

Shit sucks.

*shrug* Doesn't bother me that you don't like the game (unless you think the translation sucks... I'd have to break your kneecaps if that were the case). Everyone likes different things, after all.

On a slightly different note, the QA period ended and my contract didn't get extended, so I'm no longer on the project. :(

I got a lot of my friends to play it. It's definitely no WoW, but then again I'm not paying $15 a month with a $30 initial cost. I just wish the cash shop wasn't so expensive, but then again, you guys need to make money. And lots of people are willing to pay 10 cents a message to post in World Chat.

I started playing this the other day.. not a bad little game.. As mentioned before.. fighting system is similar to WoW, has a few WoW like things going for it.. If any of you have played Ragnarok Online, the PvP siege system is similar to War of Emperium.. just a larger scale. There is alot going for it I must say, the co-ord system and helper to locate an npc (which the quests giving said co-ords to begin with is a handy tool) and being able to "search" out npcs for quests is groovy. The music is nice and the graphics aren't half bad.. only problem I've had thus far.. "find and kill 10 wolfings" 3 hours later.. I found one.. rofl. Overall not a bad little game to give a try. Definately easy enough to pick up to play for a little while. So who all here actually plays it? We could get some names thrown around and get some friend list action going maybe?

• 1 year later...