OCR00975 - Final Fantasy IX "Black Magic Synthesis"

djpretzel

To be honest, when I first downloaded this, I only listened to the first 30 seconds or so and I didn't really like it that much. But after I downloaded a couple of other remixes I decided I'd go back to this and listen to the whole thing and actually give it a chance. ;)

I think it's that I didn't actually pick up on the Black Mage Village music being in the first part the first time I listened that I didn't really get the title.. but when I listened more carefully I could hear it in there, and my opinion totally changed. BMV was one of my favourite tracks in FF9, and the more I listen to this remix, the more I appreciate and like it. Nice one. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The sample is from the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" it came from the "spaceman" telling the woman "If anything should happen to me, repeat these words to Gort." Even though I don't like how the samples are morphed etc. This mix is really good. Vivi's the fav of Final Fantasy 9. My sister also thinks he's cute. Anyway excellent remix loud buzzes, and killer industrial kits. This puppy's a keeper.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I pretty much agrees with pretzel, this is plenty much of everything. And that orchestral part was sweet. For the rest, yeah, that was more industrial onfluenced techno and trance, tons of beats and synths swirlin around, created a very chaotic atmosphere to this mix. There may be an another track to it, around 4:20 there´s something new, but that may also quite be Daniel mixing some of his own music to fill it out some more.

Overall, nice done, liked those synths.

And by the way, it´s not Vivi´s theme, it´s Black Mage Village.

• 1 year later...

lawlz for extremely late reviews. But I had to review this one...I just now sucked up all of Dan's remixes since...that's how I function when I hear one thing I like...and whoof. This one was fantastic. The random cuts and percussion bitch-slaps are among my favorite remixing qualities (when executed well as in this case)...and at 4:35, when that synth orchestra progression comes in, it was very Rob Douganesque and that immediately makes me squeal like a little school girl and hit Rewind a good five times. Highly recommend this one if you like long mixes with a damn good variety of elements.

• 2 years later...

It's fun to see Shnabubula give some love to this track, as the production definitely reminded me of his tracks. While this isn't as wild as those in the rhythm and melodic and harmonic reinterpretation.. and stuff.. the production wildness is definitely up to par.

Great source (I'm playing the game at the moment..), and the industrial treatment fits it very well! The actual melody is quite buried much of the time, but it's audible. Many of the synth textures are quite gorgeous (esp. with the reverb).

I'm not overly fond of the vocal snippets, I think they're mixed surprisingly up front. They don't feel "pasted on" but somewhat underworked. The piece also feels a little on the long side, but not overtly so. Good track!

--Eino

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

8-O... This does have beat slices up the wazoo.

That amount of effect in this nearly staggering. Danny really went above and beyond with this one, especially with the synths. I love how it suddenly went quiet with the choir and piano and then, BOOM! Right back into it

The "Klaatu Verada Nicto" caught me off guard as they just popped out of nowhere. They don't quite part of the track for some reason, they're just....... well, there.

But it doesn't subtract from the fact that this mix is ten kinds of awesome! :grin:

This song has done three things for me. #1 Solidified my addiction to OCR along with Project Chaos #2 Grew my love for the character of Vivi #3 Blew the front speakers in my Neon. The first two are awesome. Losing sound in the front of my car isn't so great. The amount of layering, filtering, and effects is staggering to say the least. I love heavily layered and tweaked music, and Baranowsky caters to that love with this song. Those beat cuts are killer. Literally.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty great beats, that was the strong point here- a lot of interesting sections. the sound clips were a bit meh, but between those ninja-sliced beats, and the cool synths, I was doing just fine.

Nice breakdown of piano and choir, and though the track went well over 6 min, it was varied enough to always be interesting.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00975 - Final Fantasy IX "Black Magic Synthesis"