Does anyone rent games anymore?

Master_Yoshi

I haven't rented a video game since the Playstation era. Honestly, I stopped because everytime I'd rent a game, it was always scratched because people were stupid and didn't give a damn because it was a rental.

Anyway, I doubt I'd rent games these days, I'd rather just buy them outright, unless it was something really iffy. For example, Haze. I doubt I'd really buy that game, maybe I'd rent it, but not likely.

I think it's usually because the video game aisles are just so dark and gloomy to me nowadays. I dunno, but I think something changed in me over time. Maybe it was the throngs of crap games that kept coming out for last generation's systems, maybe it was because I've just grown out of it from not even going to video rental stores(kind of like how I don't watch TV anymore), maybe it's just that I'm not at the point where I can just see a game cover and go "oh hey that looks like a badass game!" anymore.

Generally speaking, after I read about a game extensively online(which is another factor, maybe I'm just more well-informed), I'll probably go out and buy it.

Whatever the reason is, renting games is just "bleh" to me now.

I think the last game I rented was for my PSX, and I think it was either one of the Spyro games or The Emperor's New Groove.

Other than that, I usually do lots of research before I go out and buy a game. That way I am not disappointed in it after the initial purchase.

The last time I rented ANYTHING was when Sega Genesis games and NES games cost $2 - $3 dollars at Blockbuster. Actually, I lied. I rented a few N64 titles 10 years ago for $5-$6, which I thought was a ridiculous price at the time.

Games are just expensive to rent now... what, like $9-$10 bucks? I'd rather pay the $50 or $60 on good game for a lifetime, than a whole crapload of mediocre games every week.

If I see something I want I just buy it. Haven't really rented games in 10 years.

exactly, with demos there's no need. If I really want to play something different I'll play a demo. I have no need to waste money on some rental. Rather save it for a stellar game worthy of the purchase.

I think it's usually because the video game aisles are just so dark and gloomy to me nowadays. I dunno, but I think something changed in me over time. Maybe it was the throngs of crap games that kept coming out for last generation's systems, maybe it was because I've just grown out of it from not even going to video rental stores(kind of like how I don't watch TV anymore), maybe it's just that I'm not at the point where I can just see a game cover and go "oh hey that looks like a badass game!" anymore.

Generally speaking, after I read about a game extensively online(which is another factor, maybe I'm just more well-informed), I'll probably go out and buy it.

Whatever the reason is, renting games is just "bleh" to me now.

Wow. Do you live in the 90's? Or maybe the 80's? People physically rent videogames now? That notion is just retarded. It's called Gamefly. I still have a subscription for a few Wii games that I simply refuse to buy since a lot of them are 'play then let dust gather' types.

If you don't rent games or don't do it anymore, that is just fine and dandy. But I never knew decades old rental cliches were funny anymore, or relevant.

Oh, and I'll never understand the whole "I used to watch TVs" thing. Okay, so it's like a growth spurt. Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wow. Do you live in the 90's? Or maybe the 80's? People physically rent videogames now? That notion is just retarded. It's called Gamefly. I still have a subscription for a few Wii games that I simply refuse to buy since a lot of them are 'play then let dust gather' types.

If you don't rent games or don't do it anymore, that is just fine and dandy. But I never knew decades old rental cliches were funny anymore, or relevant.

Oh, and I'll never understand the whole "I used to watch TVs" thing. Okay, so it's like a growth spurt. Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wow... What?

i rent games. i recently rented and returned okami for wii after beating it 100%

really, if you know you won't play the game again until years and years later, why pay 50 bucks when you can rent it for 6. and, for me, after beating a game, it would take almost a year till i feel like playing it again, at which point i could get it used or find it cheaper than its launch

but if its something that'd i'd play constantly (brawww) shit yea i'm buying it

We used to rent a few mega drive games from blockbuster way back in the 90's, but really these days, if I play a game at all its because I have an interest in completing it in my own time, be that a few hours or a few weeks.

You can't really rent FF style rpgs or online shooters, which make up most of what I play, so I have no reason to rent anything.

i rent games. i recently rented and returned okami for wii after beating it 100%

really, if you know you won't play the game again until years and years later, why pay 50 bucks when you can rent it for 6. and, for me, after beating a game, it would take almost a year till i feel like playing it again, at which point i could get it used or find it cheaper than its launch

But what if years later you can't find it at the rental or anywhere else? At least for me, I prefer having the game on me as opposed to well... not.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm beating Okami for the second time, but after that, I have absolutely no intentions whatsoever to play it for a third time. I'm one of those gamers who doesn't enjoy playing a lengthy game more than once or twice. I'm just hardwired that way. Renting is very helpful for guys like me.

Back in the SNES days my mom would stop in at the local Video-to-Roll store, and pick up games based on the cashier's recommendations to surprise my brother and I.

One day she came home with Harvest Moon and Final Fantasy 2. Forever changed my life.

Read English? Or not realize that renting games isn't what it was like 20 years ago?

Come to think of it... all the Movie galleries and block busters in my area closed. I haven't gone to rent a movie in such a long time, I didn't even realize it until I went too rent bioshock.

That's the thing. When people say video game rental places are dilapidated and such, I can't help but tune it out like it's not even real. I just don't put up with it anymore. Same with movie rental places. Hopefully with the 360's Netflix deal, I don't have to ever worry about even using the postal system for movies now. Maybe in the future, people can rent games straight out of the 360/PS3 online services. Maybe especially for 360 since they already have a deal with Gamefly.