Overlooked Multiplayer Games?

Jaybell

So there are games that are mostly remembered for their single player mode, like Sonic, and then there are games that are fondly remembered for their multiplayer, like Super Smash Bros. Occasionally, a game is well known for both awesome single player and awesome multiplayer (example: Goldeneye or Halo.) But for the most part, you'll remember a game for one or the other.

But that doesn't stop Sonic 2 from having a two player option. Just that no one ever plays it, pretty much, because when I think Sonic 2 I think "I want to run through a well designed platformer" not "I want to race my friend in a kickin' multiplayer game." (And on the other end of the spectrum, who really bought Melee for the single player campaign?) Now, of course, the multiplayer option is there, but it obviously isn't gonna be your first priority. Nonetheless, it's there, and it's pretty fun.

So what the whole point of this is : games with overlooked multiplayer options. Maybe because they were just tacked on by the developers. But that doesn't stop them from being pretty fun. They may not have the depth of Smash Bros or Halo or whatever, but they're fun little time wasters. That's what I'm looking for.

As mentioned above, I always enjoyed Sonic 2's multiplayer option, as squished and slowdowneriffic as it was. I remember wishing it were possible to race through the whole game like that. Sonic 3's was alright, also, but the levels were a bit on the short side. Nonetheless I can't get enough of Endless Mine's music.

Jet Force Gemini had death matches and a few other fairly unique multiplayer modes for a third person shooter. It also had FLOYD, a flying co-op drone with unlimited ammo.

It's not really remembered for those modes though, just the insane levels, weapons, bosses, and the fact that no one played it. It was the first Rare game I can remember hitting the bargain bin very, very quickly.

Maybe it's not overlooked but the Mario vs. Luigi multiplayer in New Super Mario Bros is probably the most fun I've had with a portable game, ever. Totally outshines even the excellent single player mode. If you're playing with a good mario player you can have some EPIC battles. I play it with a buddy of mine almost every time I see him and we never get tired of it. Main reason I'm looking forward to New Super Mario Bros 2 (or whatever it will be called) is Mario vs. Luigi with more stages (hoping for an underwater level, a ghost level, bowsers castle, one of those mushroom platform stages, etc). If you've never given it a shot, try it out. At first it seems a bit shallow, but once you get into it you realize the depth it has! Set for 3 lives, 5 stars, best 3 out of 5 battles.

Battletech (Genesis)- One players steers the Mech around using the bottom half, while the other swivels the top half around while controlling the guns. This is a lot of fun, and really makes for some great team work.

Gauntlet IV (Genesis)- Besides being Gauntlet, having new modes, and a new soundtrack, this is such a simple team playing game that get's pretty hectic as the levels progress. Plus, who doesn't love dissing the jerk who shot the food/magic?

Space Duel (Arcade)- This Asteroids knock-off (by Atari no less) uses a unique concept for its two player simultanious play... it links both ships. Yes, there's a bar that links both ships. Now imagine two different people, spinning their respective ships around, hitting thrust at different times, and having that thrust's momentum steer the joined ships. It's so easy to send your ships twirling like a bolas and completely loose control... and that's part of the fun ;-)