OCR00976 - Mouryou Senki Madara "To Madara and Back"

djpretzel

*Listens* Wait, I've heard this before. *Checks Madara folder in VGmix section* ... it's Yura!! Wow, I didn't know that. I only read the dictionary definition of a duet just now, but I can guess the use of it in this song relates to the two different styles incorporated. Starts out in a style which has strings of despair, having nothing really to depict it as great (whoever heard of a song starting out with your favorite part anyway?), just nice. Then the second style at 0:36 comes around and there's a nice military flair to it that keeps it going. Luckily I happen to really like the melody. After a good dosage of that, it goes back to the beginning "nice" style until it reaches a climax in the string style (2:10) (meaning the climax doesn't correspond to the military part) which it greatly needed.

I brought all these to attention to make note of how it has a solid structure. It doesn't go all over the place or have any meaningless repetitious phrases.

I hope to see more from Yura/EgM, specifically Y's 'Beat of Terror'!

I realyl liked this mix, a bit on the short side, but very good to listen to. I really lieksd the marching military drums and gong in this track, one thing i could say is that sometimes it lacks power, not raw power like bass, but it just sorta sounds like its in midi format....

uh... hang on a sec.....

*takes earplugs out of ears*

oooooohhhh....... nevermind, definately powerful.

Very nice track, has that oriental cultural feel to it, also has that heroic touch to it. good piece, VERY good piece. Kudos to EgM for a powerful, heroic track.

$obscure != "bad";

Indeed. Does anyone else think DJP's been doing a bit to much back-end coding of late? Ah well. What he expresses is true anyway. I've never heard of such a game and yet there seems to be inspirational enough music on board to ... inspire EgM.

It is a touch to short, but what's there is definately pleasant. A nice easy-listenening mix for the most part with a motivating thrust of emotion midway through.

Definately respectable.

Very nice take on this song! It sounds like an epic adventure. Somehow, it reminds me of Breath of Fire 2's music merged with some of Dragon Warriors' music.

Commenting on the original, it does sound like the NES's Dragon Warriors... (Maybe it's just me, though. =P)

• 1 month later...

Gotta love this song! It's very fluid and smooth and very relaxing in the beginning! But then it starts to pick up speed into a racing battle anthem! I can't get enough of it! pure pure genius. And it sounds much like something out of the Lunar series. :D And I love the Lunar soundtracks!

I can't wait to hear more music like this!

-The Diabetic Knight

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Another soundtrack that was beautiful in the original VRC6 form (the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 and Esper Dream 2 also used this Konami mapper chip, and incidentally Lagrange Point used a "VRC7" that was step ahead and sounded like PC Adlib.) Translated into MP3 it sounds great, too, especially the part around 2:00+ that's based on the 1st track of the .nsf (although it could've been a little more forceful and emotional here.)

• 2 years later...

Wow, this one totally slipped by me; and by slipped I mean I think I was on the wrong continent when I first heard this.

There's a really nice feeling to this one, and a good sense of motion and progression. It does have a vague east-meets-west feel to it, without dipping into the obvious eastern style instruments that you would normally hear. The arrangement istself is very colorful and evocative; You can almost imagine a small group of warriors headed towards a battle, and the music sets the tone of their time travelling. Heroic with a undercurrent of tension, but with purpose.

The comparisons to Suikoden music are pretty accurate, I wonder if the same composer at konami worked on these both.

I really don't think the ending serves this mix well; it's too abrupt and somthing with this kind of unspoken power really deserves a more epic climax, but overall this is a fantastic mix, and there is no way in hell it belongs at the very bottom of the reviews page.

Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

The faster portion of this mix sounds like it would fit in perfectly to Motoi's Golden Sun series, which happen to be some of my favourite game soundtracks. So naturally, I adore this.

Powerful, sentimental, highly infectious melody work and once it gets going, it moves at an incredibly satisfying rate. The consistency takes me by surprise every time.

Never heard of the game itself, but if the music is half as good as this mix, then I may have to track it down in some form. What an unspoken gem. People really need to discover this mix, I'm sure it would win a sturdy fanbase if it was given more of a chance.

• 1 month later...

With NSF tracks 36, 22, and 1 woven into an ornate orchestral setting, each source's underlying emotions are amplified and respected. Transitions (both major and micro) are handled like expert surgery, and every instrument is measured via duration, support, and emotive response to not feel out of place. The result is a leisurely and adventurous quasi-narrative: the peace of a flower garden, swift samurai strife, and a homecoming rife with loss. The end feels full of questions the listener must answer on their own, concluding with a tone of "to be continued...?"

Classic stuff. Mix delivers.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00976 - Mouryou Senki Madara "To Madara and Back"