Fixing "lag" while playing on lcd tvs

I ventured off to play some Brawl today with players in the area that I met at a local tournament not too long ago and one of them brought over an LCD tv to one of the player's house. One of the people that were playing stated that it was going to "lag" when playing, but we hooked it up and started playing only to find that he was actually right.

What is up with lcd tv's lagging and how do I fix this issue? If this is the case with games, I no longer wish to get a hidef tv since every time i wish to practice there will be no point with the lag messing up my skills.

Help plz :3

My LCD TV has this thing called "Game mode" which "accelerates the screen processing speed." Not sure why it needs to be an option, it should just be in there all the time. But yeah, with this option my Tv has no lag, though that could also be because I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, which is all-digital I think [looks fucking gorgeous too].

This Game Mode thing seems like something that halves the life of the TV, or something, due to the extra processing. I should probably look at my manual. D: You should see if you have something like that, though. It might be just a Samsung thing.