Avatar: The Last Airbender Finale

Bren

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else out there likes this series. They're airing a two hour long movie event tonight on Nick, and all this week, they've been showing premiere episodes leading up to it.

At first when I started watching this, I thought it was just a lame attempt of Nickelodeon to get in on the anime wannabe scene. But once I got into it, I really found an appreciation for the characters, the world, and the story. I think it has great action which is definitely a crowd pleaser, a great storyline which is very captivating, and even some comedic fluff which is *gasp* actually funny!

So if anyone hasn't been up to date, I might recommend looking at some episode overviews of the past week, and the movie tonight which is on Nickelodeon at 8:00 Eastern time. It's called "Sozin's Comet" I believe...Need I say more?

At first when I started watching this, I thought it was just a lame attempt of Nickelodeon to get in on the anime wannabe scene. But once I got into it, I really found an appreciation for the characters, the world, and the story. I think it has great action which is definitely a crowd pleaser, a great storyline which is very captivating, and even some comedic fluff which is *gasp* actually funny!

Ditto. I was all "No, not another shitty anime wannabe..." but then I was all "ok, one week until the next episode, I can wait, I can wait..."

I think this works better than most of the faux-anime shows because it don't really try to be anime, or at least, not for the sake of it.

Take those god-awful show Team Galaxy, Totally Spies! and Martin Mysteries (all done by the same people, by the way... you can just tell from watching it for even a minute); they could have went with original art and styles, but they obviously tried to hook the anime-watching crowd. They don't fit. It doesn't work.

Avatar, on the other hand, seems to be more interested in telling the story than showing off how much it looks like anime. I have watch the three above mentioned shows, and I can not stand them. But even though Avatar is aimed at the same age group, it comes off far better written. Maybe it the plot. Maybe it's because the characters actually evolve and grow with each season. Maybe it's because they just have better writers, period. Either way, it's a far more enjoyable show.

I've been waiting for three months for the new episodes to come out. It's about time, and I will be hitting up the torrents tonight to see if anyone has them out already.

The only thing I'm worried about is the movie; it's supposed to be directed by... M. Night Shyamalan. I swear to god, if there's one of his fucking stupid "twists" in it, I'm quitting television shows for good.

I will say that I will be watching it.

It's surprisingly mature for being on Nick, whose kiddie nature tends to make you cringe at the idea of actually liking one of their shows. Avatar actually grew on me as it went on, and became more involved and the characters became more interesting. (there's a lot of characters to focus on too, which is nice)

The animation for the fight scenes is some of the best I've seen in a while. It's very fluid, which usually you don't see as often, or when you do it astounds you because you're not used to seeing it.

Well I definitely enjoy the series as well. I think as far as the movie goes, there was talks of doing one for the theaters, but I don't know if they're still gonna do that since the movie is coming on tonight.

We'll have to see how things go with this.

Well, they aren't actually movies. They are the last episodes of the series, shown together.

You're probably right about that. They showed "The Boiling Rock" as a 1 hour event on Tuesday, even though it's a 40 minute two part episode.

Anyway, I don't think this movie was directed by Shyamalon. I heard he wanted to do a live action movie. Anyway, time for watching. It's starting just as I'm typing this!

That was so epic. I won't include any spoilers, but I'd like to confirm that this is in fact the end of the story, and it was amazing. It was better than I ever could've imagined it would be.

Now that that's settled, I have this to say: If anyone has never seen Avatar or gotten into it, give it a chance from episode 1. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

That was so epic. I won't include any spoilers, but I'd like to confirm that this is in fact the end of the story, and it was amazing. It was better than I ever could've imagined it would be.

Now that that's settled, I have this to say: If anyone has never seen Avatar or gotten into it, give it a chance from episode 1. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

Just finished watching it myself, as much as I fear for my social status by watching it, It was powerfully amazing, and I almost can see a sequel series erupting from popularity of the series.

I'd never watched Avatar up to now, but I watched most of the movie, and fucking loved it.

Soundtrack was brilliant.

The music has always been on point through out the series. Which is why FFVI Cyanide has become one of my favorite mixes.

It reminds me a lot of the Avatar series.

I watched it tonight as well and it was really amazing, great ending to a great story. I had watched the series when it first came out but by the end of Book 1 I didn't have time available to watch any of the other episodes after that (or any TV at all for that matter). I would usually catch it on TV by mistake just by flipping through the channels and I would be like, "Holy shit, I am so glad I decided to watch TV tonight."

I'm going to assume that the whole series will be on DVD by this Christmas and I will definitely be looking forward to its release.

I work for Best Buy so I'll definitely be hiding one in the back for myself when the time comes.. :<

I must say that the humor in this show is actually pretty good and not really a "kids" show. Idk when I last saw a kids show make fun of the fact that one of the main characters is blind.

I have to admit, a lot of my favorite fluff moments involved Toph.

Just finished watching it myself, as much as I fear for my social status by watching it, It was powerfully amazing, and I almost can see a sequel series erupting from popularity of the series.

Pfft. I used to worry about that, then I said to hell with it. I love cartoons, and I have to say Avatar is one of the best series I've seen in a long time.

Finished watching it about an hour and a half ago. There were some pretty memorable moments in the movie, even some times I HOPED people would have died because you know, in my eyes death makes everything better haha. But yeah, for all of those that haven't watched, I'll leave my comments in my head. I'm sad the series is over though, it was one of THE BEST western cartoons to ever grace TV. Seriously.

Awesome animation and story telling throughout the entire series. Those last fights scenes were amazing. I'm hoping tho the dvds will have extended scenes since I felt some were cut off too soon like Zuko and his father's little talk at the end.

Overall the series is a masterpiece for me and I really hope they don't continue the series. They probably do have another avatar series planned (If nick is still wants to keep it ) but with that ending It should just be left alone. There are too many series and stories that keep running that eventually ruins itself and Avatar should not be one of them.

Awesome animation and story telling throughout the entire series. Those last fights scenes were amazing. I'm hoping tho the dvds will have extended scenes since I felt some were cut off too soon like Zuko and his father's little talk at the end.

Overall the series is a masterpiece for me and I really hope they don't continue the series. They probably do have another avatar series planned (If nick is still wants to keep it ) but with that ending It should just be left alone. There are too many series and stories that keep running that eventually ruins itself and Avatar should not be one of them.

So in the end, I agree with you and they ended the series at a great point and if they did continue it, I think it would probably end up dragging on...... but I was hoping that Katara and Azula would have had a real knock down drag-out cat fight with Katara doing some Blood-bending to finish it off.

... but I was hoping that Katara and Azula would have had a real knock down drag-out cat fight with Katara doing some Blood-bending to finish it off.

Hey, the way she took her out was kinda badass to me, and by that I mean it wasn't expected. Something with the water down there, but yeah, didn't know exactly what she had planned.

But yeah, a couple questions left unanswered such as what happened to Azula afterwards, and what DID happen to Azula/Zuko's mother?

I don't watch cartoons that much anymore. I've spent most of my time in that area wondering how a given show stayed on, as they always seem to be trying to copy one another. Something always feels like a Pokémon knock-off, or the typical "kids with attitude" garbage, or it was just flat out dull, insipid and boring. The last cartoon to really get my attention was Teen Titans, which ended a couple years ago with a really disappointing fifth season (it should have ended with the "The End" trilogy). I started watching it around the end of the third season, and I got interested in it by the time the fourth season started. It's a bit like that with Avatar... only even later.

I caught one episode of it months ago... the one where Aang and Katara were in a cave during a big rain storm. Seemed alright, but it didn't grab me, as the Nickelodeon label made me think it was just going to be another silly kids cartoon. Then last week, I heard about the big marathon being aired, ending with the series finale movie. So, I decided to sit down and watch it on Monday. I've now seen nearly every episode (in order), and I have to say, I'm sorry I missed out on this show when it was still airing new episodes regularly.

As has been mentioned, the animation quality is good throughout most of each episode, and it was a nice change to see something that had a story arc running through everything. The characters grew up and closer, various people died and got injuries that lasted, and it walked regularly on both sides of the serious/silly line to good effect. It even gave me a good laugh at times, and surprised me a little at the more "grown up" aspects that were used within its rating (kissing, characters dying, etc.). I liked how it also dug into Chinese art and history, as well as bits of other cultures for its settings and look. The people behind the show obviously did their homework, and the end result was a world that felt more fleshed out than your typical American cartoon, and fight scenes that were unexpectedly well choreographed and handled. And yes, the music is quite good.

The characters, though a bit cliché in some ways, were good. The motherly "big sister" (Katara), the silly guy (Sokka), the sarcastic little tomboy girl (Toph), to over-angry bully (Zuko)... we've all seen them before. But it still added up to enjoyable characters and interactions, thanks to the writers making them grow little by little through conflicts (both without and within).

As for the ending, yeah, it was a big finalé. Shit blowing up everywhere, many characters returning, big climactic battles... everything you'd expect from a story that's meant to tie up most of the lose ends that have been dangling for a while. Thankfully, the ending didn't feel rushed, or drawn out. Everything got equal time, while keeping things focused. It was a good way to bring it all to a close, and unlike a lot of finalés I could name, I didn't feel disappointed by it. And yeah, it was certainly afflicted a bit with the "happy ending" syndrome on several fronts. But considering it is supposed to be a kids show, that isn't a surprise. **SPOILER** To balance out the rather dark ending for Azula, it seemed fitting to have Katara/Aang, Sokka/Suki, Zuko/Mai fully hook up in the end (though it was pretty much a given they would as the series went on). **SPOILER**

So there you have it. My thoughts as someone who has been watching this show for all of a week basically. I feel lucky that I was able to catch it when I did, before the possibility of what happened to Teen Titans came to pass (i.e. yanked off the air entirely within a few weeks). I now find myself wondering what the show's creators are going to do for their next project in the Avatar universe, and what the live action movies will be like under M. Night Shyamalan's command.

All in all, a good watch. Shame I waited until it was over to really notice that.

Now for a question... why are the three seasons of this show being sold for $50 each? Teen Titans is $14.99 each on Amazon for thirteen episode seasons. I don't think the extra seven shows in Avatar's season adds up to an extra $35. Plus, why six DVDs for twenty twenty-three minute shows? What's eating all that disc space?

So in the end, I agree with you and they ended the series at a great point and if they did continue it, I think it would probably end up dragging on...... but I was hoping that Katara and Azula would have had a real knock down drag-out cat fight with Katara doing some Blood-bending to finish it off.

I was quite happy that there wasn't a huge fight with Azula and Katara. We already saw the two fight against each other in the second season finale and with the blood bending you got one last glimpse of it in the previous episode with her mother's killer. The trick Katara used on Azula was pretty bad ass and was right up her alley. If Katara used Blood bending then she wouldn't have been herself and not fitting for her character IMO.

Currently watching whilst trying not to read spoilers but *spoiler* EARTH ARMOR IS AWESOME!! Toph is a badass.

Well, just finished it. Hat's off to Nickelodeon for finishing out a quality series in a quality way. As far as a wrap up, that was definitely satisfying. Hope to see more from this team in the future.