Avatar: The Last Airbender Finale

Bren

Damn right. Making a show that had war, suffering, emotional outbursts, love, hate, death, destruction and character development is mostly likely never going to happen on that channel again.

With any luck, they will see how successful this turned out and instead of being afraid of taking a chance, they will actively pursue shows with more mature content.

Oh, and having finally found the torrent this morning, I watched the finale:

-Metal Fighter Miku... I mean Toph was awesome, but they didn't show enough of her.

-I saw the whole "taking away his fire-bending" thing back in the second season. It was pretty much the only way to really go.

-I'm glad they finally resolved most of the romance issues, but what about Toph? Again, needs more Toph.

-They left a few things open, namely where Zuko's mother is and what they did with Azula.

Hopefully they won't sully the ending with a tacked-on direct-to-DVD epilogue or movie. I may want more of the show but it's best to end on a high note then try to darw it out any more.

Awesome series, I'm sort of sad it's over now, but at least we got something that was actually good from a network know for crappy shows.

Damn right. Making a show that had war, suffering, emotional outbursts, love, hate, death, destruction and character development is mostly likely never going to happen on that channel again.

Awesome series, I'm sort of sad it's over now, but at least we got something that was actually good from a network know for crappy shows.

I totally agree, especially about Nick making crappy shows...This has been the best thing they've come up with in years, but I was almost expecting there to be some episodes afterward about traveling around the world kicking the fire nation out of different places, and restoring balance in a slow process of events. I was impressed overall though.

I would hope that Nick decides to keep the crew they put together for Avatar for a new future project, if they plan anything.

By the way, found this on IMDB:

Will there be a book 4? No. The creators confirmed that at San Diego Comic Con in July, 2007. Other stories will be told in the Avatar world and there are the upcoming live-action movies, but the animated series ends with Book 3: Fire. Nickelodeon has announced that there will be "(t)hree original 60-minute animated Avatar movies," in addition to the live-action, feature-length film trilogy by M. Night Shyamalan.

I'm actually relieved that they're not planning a sequel, as I think this series is great the way it ended. Also, If they're planning on three original movies, they're probably related to the story in some way, like filler movies on unseen events in the series:

========SPOILER========

such as Sozin's battle against the Air Nomads or Hakoda's involvement in the war.

========SPOILER========

"Aww...this field trip sucks...."

Haha, that was great.

I loved this show, and thought that was an amazing way to end it. A little sad it's over, but honestly glad the great story came to such an epic close. That was pretty much all I could have hoped for in the finale.

Incidentally...spoiler I thought it was very interesting to finally hear that the comet was used to destroy the air nomads 100 years prior. Makes sense, given all the advantages the air nomads would have otherwise had against an attack. Also gives extra meaning to the scene where they found Giatso's body surrounded by Fire Nation soldiers back in first season. /spoiler

Also, very interested to hear about the shorter animated movies. While I think it would be cool to stay within the same story and go deeper into certain parts (perhaps Iroh's journey into the spirit world), I also think it would be cool to make them center around previous Avatar incarnations. I also think it would be great if they were to put together a new series that would be based within the same world but, again, based around a past or future incarnation. Expecting these new animated movie projects to be within this same story, but I can hope for future projects. A bit iffy about the live-action film adaptation despite the creators' heavy involvement, simply because things are always lost in translation to a different medium.

I think Nick had a bunch of great shows when it first started. It's just that the last 7 years or so had a dearth of any good ones unless you can count in Spongebob for being the irreverent comedy cartoon they always seems to have.

I think the success of Avatar could almost force them to make others with a definite story. Avatar's ending was good but almost felt too Naruto-ish with a lot of its fighting elements. Hopefully the next project won't feel too much like another anime.

I think Nick had a bunch of great shows when it first started. It's just that the last 7 years or so had a dearth of any good ones unless you can count in Spongebob for being the irreverent comedy cartoon they always seems to have.

I think the success of Avatar could almost force them to make others with a definite story. Avatar's ending was good but almost felt too Naruto-ish with a lot of its fighting elements. Hopefully the next project won't feel too much like another anime.

I honestly still don't see any similarity between Avatar and Naruto.

Avatar's ending was good but almost felt too Naruto-ish with a lot of its fighting elements.

How did it feel Naruto-ish?

Was it the giant fight scene between Ang and the Fire Lord? I can see some similarities, but only if you compare it directly to the big fight between Naruto and Sasuke that took place at the end of the first part (when Sasuke left to join Orichimaru).

At least Avatar didn't have every secondary character do a ten minute long flashback narrative about why they decide to fight, and then have the battle span over five episodes, just to meet their quota for episodes.

Naruto is really bad for that. Almost as bad a Dragonball Z.

Oops, the entire series just accidentally fell onto my hard drive. Gotta go.

I honestly still don't see any similarity between Avatar and Naruto.

Not in general themes of ninjas, no. Not in every aspect or style or anything like that. Just the whole magical/martial arts fighting stuff. And Aang living up to his destiny? That feels way too much like Naruto to me.

How did it feel Naruto-ish?

Was it the giant fight scene between Ang and the Fire Lord? I can see some similarities, but only if you compare it directly to the big fight between Naruto and Sasuke that took place at the end of the first part (when Sasuke left to join Orichimaru).

At least Avatar didn't have every secondary character do a ten minute long flashback narrative about why they decide to fight, and then have the battle span over five episodes, just to meet their quota for episodes.

Naruto is really bad for that. Almost as bad a Dragonball Z.

Oops, the entire series just accidentally fell onto my hard drive. Gotta go.

I agree. Naruto tends to drag things quite a bit, but that's not the similarity I'm seeing. The similarity is in the elemental fighting and the way Aang and crew goes from one elemental nation to the next. That is basically what Naruto boils down to in its storytelling. Badguys come, Fire Nation ninjas (Konoha) goes out to other elemental nations and fight elemental-attacking-ninjas. Obviously, technically both series are very different. But just about every anime boards out there seems to compare Avatar to Naruto and for the right reasons IMO. I really don't think Avatar should be bashed even if they based some basic ideas off of Naruto because they got around to all the important fights and storytelling in only three seasons. Though I wish there were more of it since there seems to be a lot of loose ends and some lost opportunities with some characters. Maybe a sequel should be in order.

You're comparing shows based upon how they use the same standard clichés and genres (magical element control fighting). Of course you're going to see similarities.

There are enough shows out there now and over the last few years that we're going to see similarities no matter what. Anime is hardly the poster boy for originality, and ninja/martial arts and magic is hardly a sparse genre. With just the beaten-to-death "fated warrior is the main character" bit, you've got pretty much every show that came out in the last thirty years.

You're comparing shows based upon how they use the same standard clichés and genres (magical element control fighting). Of course you're going to see similarities.

There are enough shows out there now and over the last few years that we're going to see similarities no matter what. Anime is hardly the poster boy for originality, and ninja/martial arts and magic is hardly a sparse genre. With just the beaten-to-death "fated warrior is the main character" bit, you've got pretty much every show that came out in the last thirty years.

Thus it all boils down to presentation of the plot, how it tells it while keeping things balanced enough to (a) keep viewers entertained & (B) making the viewers want more; all the while not ruining the pace, plot as well as providing a proper closure, even leaving some loose ends is fine..

I will agree with injin in that there some questions left alone I'd like to have answered, and yet I feel thats the beauty of leaving it up to the viewers to dwell upon if they choose to.

In fact one can surmise the possibility of say... Azula some how breaking out and wanting revenge on the entire world. Go all Kefka-like in where she gains trust of a powerful leader only to take over and some how become a god. Not through war but through deception and blitzkrieging defense that would probably still be in a slow reconstruction due to the recent coming of great peace. She's already, based on my views, passed the deep end and beyond. With a focused madness, who can say what may come...?

This is just one of many possibilities that a viewer can create and simply play with it. To provide answers just takes away the fun of making up possibilities...

I'm sure I'm not breaking any new ground when I say this is a suprisingly well made show, but I will say that after not having watched said show in about a year, I was pumped as hell for the finale. Even though I didn't know who half the characters were, I understood what was going on by the second part of the movie.

I totally agree. Avatar is the kind of show I kinda wish would go forever, but alas, if something must end, at least let it end gracefully. I still need to see the ending...so here's hoping.

I really liked Avatar. Too bad it ended, although it's better to end worthy then to continiue endlessly without going anywhere

Finished downloading/watching the movie with my little sister.

Simply beautiful. I am pleased to see it end with dignity and a reasonable degree of closure.

That said, I really don't want to see any sort of miniseries or movie spinoff, simply because it will lack the drive and vision that made Avatar unique, compelling, and capable of holding its own in a sea of mediocrity. The only reason I say this is because I suspect that the series was given the axe some time ago to allocate more money to slapstick shows geared toward the network's target audience. The only reason a spinoff would even be considered would be to cash in on the franchise with as little investment as possible, resulting in what I like to call a "Disney-derivative marketing bitch".

I'd rather Avatar end with its dignity intact than suffer that abuse. And for now, I can live that dream.

Well done.

I really liked Avatar. Too bad it ended, although it's better to end worthy then to continiue endlessly without going anywhere
I totally agree. Avatar is the kind of show I kinda wish would go forever, but alas, if something must end, at least let it end gracefully. I still need to see the ending...so here's hoping.
Simply beautiful. I am pleased to see it end with dignity and a reasonable degree of closure.

(...)

I'd rather Avatar end with its dignity intact than suffer that abuse. And for now, I can live that dream.

So in the end, I agree with you and they ended the series at a great point and if they did continue it, I think it would probably end up dragging on...... but I was hoping that Katara and Azula would have had a real knock down drag-out cat fight with Katara doing some Blood-bending to finish it off.
I'm actually relieved that they're not planning a sequel, as I think this series is great the way it ended.
I loved this show, and thought that was an amazing way to end it. A little sad it's over, but honestly glad the great story came to such an epic close. That was pretty much all I could have hoped for in the finale.

i liked the show. sad to see it go, glad it ended nicelyhfljdlyfifjhfssdkdfjuytfuyf

I'm not being that vague here. I just get the feeling that they're similar and a lot of discussions in anime forums have the same opinion. Just yelling "IT'S NUTHIN LIKE NAROOTO" isn't going to make me magically think they aren't similar. And did I say anything out of the line? Because I said their overall premise is very similar. Not in how the story specifically plays out or the exact technicality of the worlds.

Also, why the hell does this kind of discussion boil down to hating Naruto all of a sudden? I like both Avatar and Naruto. No discussion there.

That series was friggin awesome. Personally, I'm happy to see the series has come to a close. Some shows just seem to go on forever and many of em get old and crappy so although it's sad to see Avatar end, it's good that it went out on a high. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode in the future that catches up with the characters down the track though. Oh, and Sokka should've added a rainbow.

I'm not being that vague here. I just get the feeling that they're similar and a lot of discussions in anime forums have the same opinion. Just yelling "IT'S NUTHIN LIKE NAROOTO" isn't going to make me magically think they aren't similar. And did I say anything out of the line? Because I said their overall premise is very similar. Not in how the story specifically plays out or the exact technicality of the worlds.

Also, why the hell does this kind of discussion boil down to hating Naruto all of a sudden? I like both Avatar and Naruto. No discussion there.

I didn't day anything about hating Naruto. I didn't say it wasn't at all like Naruto. I didn't say that they weren't silimar. I didn't say anything about you being out of line.

I honestly don't see anything that made it sound that way.

I like Naruto too. I just don't see the connections between the two shows like you do.