Sonic & The Black Knight coming for the Wii

JCvgluvr

I'm glad we're trying to make Sonic not do what he was originally meant to do: run through the damn stage as FAST as possible.

Why do people keep bringing up this imaginary premise? Does nobody remember pushing blocks? Waiting for platforms and spike ceilings? Slogging through water levels? Pretty much the only levels that ever fit the "hold right" philosophy were the very first ones in each game.

As for Sonic Rush, the soundtrack was an instant favorite for me. And the tricks and hyper meter give it a sense of speed and fluidity that exceeds even the original Sonics. Sonic Rush Adventure has much-improved boss fights, but the level design is even more unforgiving than the original Rush in some instances. They also added a bit of a fetch quest aspect to it, which adds replay, but it's not as fun when it's of the mandatory variety.

Why do people keep bringing up this imaginary premise? Does nobody remember pushing blocks? Waiting for platforms and spike ceilings? Slogging through water levels? Pretty much the only levels that ever fit the "hold right" philosophy were the very first ones in each game.

This is true, the original sonics really did have a lot of platformer elements - BUT I think a lot of people would agree that those sonics had a much better sense of speed (the most important thing about a sonic game) than the new ones, and I think that's what he was trying to get at.

Seeing the picture gave me an idea:

Imagine a 3D game filled with large levels and open areas (think N64 Rare games), where you can run really fast, and jump pretty high too. Except you're carrying a giant sword, so it takes you a while to build up momentum, and once you get going, there's no slowing down. And the sword weighs twice as much as the speedy hedgehog who's holding it, resulting in insanely fun spinning physics. And you control this sword by moving the Wii remote, and watching as the massive blade slowly changes its course.

Basically all you'd do is run around in an attempt to pick up as much speed as possible, start your hedgehog spinning until he's a speeding Helicopter of Death, and then jump and SMAAAAASH into any number of targets: small robots, giant robots, breakable walls that reveal hidden areas, load-bearing walls that hold up Robotnic's secret underground laboratory (cue epic HOLY CRAP THE CEILINGS ARE COLLAPSING RIGHT BEHIND ME ultra-high-speed escape sequence!)

Wow, I want that game. Right now 8O

My prediction: Controlling Sonic in "Sonic and the Black Knight" will feel almost as fun and liberating as controlling this "Black Knight".

Dhsu, I once made a topic that deals with what you're saying. Here's what I said:

First, watch this (and the other 2 parts, if you have time):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qb6ORAW3-MQ

If you're one of those people who thinks that Sonic isn't about speed, this should fix your broken perspective. If Sonic 2 was fast, surely the entire franchise should exhibit the same speed in all of it's main entries. I mean, look at Joe move. It's simply beautiful to see how he tears thru these levels with such grace and finesse. This is how I'd picture Sonic really moving if he had control of himself during his games.

Gosh, I mean, just look at what he does to Aquatic Ruins Zone. He rips it UP in there, and he's underwater a fair amount of the time!

Granted, the video linked above is a speed run, and most people don't achieve such ridiculous speeds (myself included). Yet still, you're not going to see the same mind-blowing acrobatics in a Super Mario Bros. speed run or a Metroid Fusion speed run. Those speed runs showcase a different kind of style and talent. But not pure speed like this.

People cry so much about Sonic not being Sonic 2 now a days it's fucking ridiculous. I don't care fucking fast her is, I don't care how fast he "feels", I don't care if he's in rocket skates, speed shoes, carries a sword, hijacks are car...I really could give a fuck.

Give me a game, with a h0t soundtrack, that's fun to play, that has me collecting rings, and I'm happy.

I don't care about a classic look, or feel or anything. Make him 3D, make him brown and yellow, I REALLY don't care anymore.

AND EVEN IF YOU GOT THAT you people would STILL bitch. This is like the OPPOSITE of what's happening int he MM9 thread where people are complaining about storyline and shit ALREADY.

IT'S A CLASSIC FUCKING MEGA MAN. You people cried and cried for it for years, and then UNTHINKABLY it happened and you STILL fucking complain.

Also: The render of Sonic alone would take skill to fake. I mean...that lighting and sword are pretty spot on.

Not that it still might not be fake, but it'd be a REALLY well done fake.

I always thought that the thing that made the original games so good were the advanced physics. I never found another game to replicate that. It had a sense of speed and was fun because of that. Also, the level design was clever. In my opinion, they should focus on creating a working engine focusing on the physics, like the original game, rather than level design to enhance speed, and everything else. Let the player go fast based on his actual skills, give him more control.

Sonic Rush was fun on its own, because you actually had control over Sonic, but it failed to capture the soul of the classics, and also, too much focus on speed gives as a result repetitive gameplay. I'm still playing the originals and they're still as fun as ever, you can play them fast, or play them at your own pace, or explore everything; that's what made me love them: the physics and the level design.

It's not just about speed or just playing Sonic. I don't think Sonic Rush really "got it" either, in spite of being labeled a truely classic Sonic game. I thought the levels in Rush just large and barren for the most part, barely any enemies, and it was mostly about holding forward, watch Sonic run through a bunch of loops, and then you need to time that one jump just right so you get over the pit and avoid the same spikes that already killed you on your last 5 tries. I just don't like that kind of level design.

Whereas in Sonic 3 you had segments like the platforms disappearing into the waterfall in Angel Island, those classic pinball bumper thingies, those controllable hovering platforms in Marble Garden, etc, all those little things put together that makes the levels more varied and just more fun to play.

Ok, so you got me there. BUT, speed was the crucial element that separates Sonic from Mario back in the day. Obviously, anything that takes away from this aspect just gives you another clucky platformer that frustrates you after the tenth time you've fallen into the same pit.

Of course, same with any game that gets announced, we just have to wait to see if it's A) real, and B) worth it's weight in rings.

If it were anyone but Sega developing this title, it might actually have some promise in that you could come up with some lightning fast sword-fighting in addition to blasting through expansive worlds at a ridiculous speed. The idea of lightning fast sword-fighting isn't a bad one in its own right. It definitely does have followers in the anime genre. ...But here are the rubs:

They're putting Sonic's name on it and Sega's developing it. Sega's become a pretty third-rate developer on their own with the way they mishandle their own mascot's 3-D outings, and Sonic wielding a sword is pretty ludicrous in general. I mean, he has spines, right? I was under the impression if he ever needed to cut something he'd... I dunno, DO THE GODDAMN BUZZSAW SPIN HE'S BEEN DOING FOR OVER 15 YEARS. They may attempt to justify it in game, but all these goddamn gimmicks are really unnecessary, and considering the aforementioned Sega track record? Probably isn't going to end well. -_-

I doubt this will be any sort of death knell for the Sonic series, though. If Sonic 2006 didn't drive a stake into the heart of this beast, nothing will.

EDIT: On a side note, it is rather amusing that Sonic's sword there does look a lot like Alondite, though the proposal of Sonic getting anywhere near Fire Emblem is utterly laughable.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but this is legit and 100% real game coming out.

http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?p=2325079#2325079

seoncd post by Site Admin:

I can confirm the game is indeed real, however you won't get any info on it from me, you'll have to wait until we post the product page tomorrow on SEGA.com and read the Nintendo Power article.

Discuss!

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2008/07/21/sega-announces-sonic-and-the-black-knight/

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (July 21, 2008) –SEGA of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced Sonic™ and the Black Knight, an all-new Wii-exclusive adventure. Part of the storybook series of games that began with Sonic and the Secret Rings, this new title brings Sonic into the world of Arthurian legend and offers the worlds most infamous blue hedgehog the chance to become a knight. Using the unique Wii control system, this exciting game will take advantage of both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk to offer an interactive experience that any Sonic fans will love.

Created by Sonic Team in Japan, this innovative game takes Sonic into a medieval world and arms him with a sword to aid in his effort to save the day. Sonic and the Black Knight will provide Sonic fans with an irresistible cast of characters and teach them all what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. With a series of missions taking place in stunning Arthurian-inspired locations, Sonic and the Black Knight promises to offer a fast-paced adventure that gamers of all ages will enjoy.

“After the success of Sonic and the Secret Rings we’re delighted to announce a second title in the Storybook Series,” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe, “Following Sonic on his way to knighthood will excite players of all ages.”

Sonic and the Black Knight, exclusively for the Wii, will be out in Spring 2009.

So. Guess it is a direct squeal to Sonic and the Secret Rings after all.

Also posted on Sega's website: http://www.sega.com/games/?t=EnglishUSA&g=490