Soul Calibur IV

Wacky

so basically like sc2 where you could use the weapon effects or not

agreed....

Pretty much exactly what I said yes :)

I checked out some trailers and yeah, I'm looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow. I've always been a creat-a-char freak, even in crappy games like dynasty warriors 5: empires, so this will probably be heaven for me.

If I go to magfest I'll kick your ass in this game.

They have a vanilla versus mode with no weapon effects

Problem is that Story mode and Tower of Lost Souls (SC4's rather enjoyable and creative alternative to its RTS minigame in SC3) all use weapon effects by default. So in TWO of the game's THREE single player modes, you're locked with weapon effects, passive perks, and active abilities you trigger by taunting.

Although to be fair, the dynamism these perks create when stacked can really change the flow of combat.

You know, besides the fact that I love his voice acting and quirky animations, do you know why I chose to play as Yoshimitsu? I got sick of being beaten to a pulp by mid-level Ivy players, and I found that Yoshimitsu could go toe-to-toe with that bitch.

I have a serious grudge against Ivy...

That said, create-a-fighter is limited because you basically create clones of existing characters. Gone are the wonky Swordsman, Dancer, etc, fighting styles from SC3. Now you make a character based off an existing fighting style. So my character can be as crazy looking as I want, but it WILL be a Astaroth clone, a Ivy clone, a Cassandra clone, etc.

The problem with this system is that, to truly maximize a character, you HAVE to deck them out with every conceivable piece of armor you can find. So if you want to create a character that's aesthetically minimal, they will be comparatively inferior to a character that's bundled up for winter in Maine. also the perks are thrown at you right from the beginning with any real fanfare or explanation. It's alot to take in, and much of it doesn't quite register with you as you're getting your face pounded in by The Apprentice.

Well, that's quite disappointing...:|

That said, create-a-fighter is limited because you basically create clones of existing characters. Gone are the wonky Swordsman, Dancer, etc, fighting styles from SC3. Now you make a character based off an existing fighting style. So my character can be as crazy looking as I want, but it WILL be a Astaroth clone, a Ivy clone, a Cassandra clone, etc.

Am I the only on who thinks this is a good thing? SC3 had a lot of balance issues, in part because there were so many movesets what with all the create-a-character ones. Without them, the devs can focus more on the main characters' movesets without worrying about balancing upwards of 10-15 more that you won't even see in the main story. That's my theory anyway.

Am I the only on who thinks this is a good thing? SC3 had a lot of balance issues, in part because there were so many movesets what with all the create-a-character ones. Without them, the devs can focus more on the main characters' movesets without worrying about balancing upwards of 10-15 more that you won't even see in the main story. That's my theory anyway.

Yea, I was already thinking this. People are complaining because Soul Calibur doesn't have a more dynamic moves set...well yea but that would make it less and less balanced. That's why you never see something like Mortal Kombat having any real serious tournament play.

Me n my friend have been playin this since last week thursday or friday.. i forget. but yeah, I have to say, although im no soul calibur lover, i do like it alot, especially SCIII and so it did take me a long time to get use to SC4.

As stated before, theres quite afew changes. one of my biggest complaints was the inclusion of ~new~ characters. i mean, Darf and Yoda arnt really new, theyve been around longer than I have, the apprentice is pretty amazingly flashy and cool, but i cant use him for crap. amy was in III and the 'bonus' characters just use other peoples movesets (for example, the robo girlie is astroth). so really, its just hilde and the boss dude (who is pretty much a game end kind of guy 8O) but then again, there are some main characters who have changed sooo much, that they are like new characters anyway. my main dude in III, yung, is almost totally different. gone is his slide back stances and moves, and nearly every other move to be honest. its like, they have stripped everyone of what they feel were unnessiccary, but thats left them with like 3 moves each ¬_¬ but, once you get used to it, you realise that this isnt soul calibur III. yung is infact (as i like to class him) a speed and crush type. hes quick (well.. quick for SC4 anyways) but his moves (espesh his forward triangle combo) are designed to crush your guard and soul gauge as soon as possible, allowing you to do his... unique.. critical KO with more ease than say, talim who would be speed and techniqe.

I think thats really it. just get used to the new type of gameplay, as it is different from all the others.

on a side note, as amazingly customizable the create a characters are, and as kool as they look in battle, make sure your underwear isnt an embarrising colour, cause as soon as your lower guard is destroyed, you can wave goodbye to your trousers :oops:

Me n my friend have been playin this since last week thursday or friday.. i forget. but yeah, I have to say, although im no soul calibur lover, i do like it alot, especially SCIII and so it did take me a long time to get use to SC4.

As stated before, theres quite afew changes. one of my biggest complaints was the inclusion of ~new~ characters. i mean, Darf and Yoda arnt really new, theyve been around longer than I have, the apprentice is pretty amazingly flashy and cool, but i cant use him for crap. amy was in III and the 'bonus' characters just use other peoples movesets (for example, the robo girlie is astroth). so really, its just hilde and the boss dude (who is pretty much a game end kind of guy 8O) but then again, there are some main characters who have changed sooo much, that they are like new characters anyway. my main dude in III, yung, is almost totally different. gone is his slide back stances and moves, and nearly every other move to be honest. its like, they have stripped everyone of what they feel were unnessiccary, but thats left them with like 3 moves each ¬_¬ but, once you get used to it, you realise that this isnt soul calibur III. yung is infact (as i like to class him) a speed and crush type. hes quick (well.. quick for SC4 anyways) but his moves (espesh his forward triangle combo) are designed to crush your guard and soul gauge as soon as possible, allowing you to do his... unique.. critical KO with more ease than say, talim who would be speed and techniqe.

I think thats really it. just get used to the new type of gameplay, as it is different from all the others.

on a side note, as amazingly customizable the create a characters are, and as kool as they look in battle, make sure your underwear isnt an embarrising colour, cause as soon as your lower guard is destroyed, you can wave goodbye to your trousers :oops:

jesus fucking christ

To begin with, I've had the game since WEDNESDAY! Bwahahahaha! Thank you awesome mom & pop stores who break street date.

That having been said, it reminds me of the transition from SCI to SCII. It's on new game systems and thus there's a technical overhaul but not really a huge new supply of content. It's more a refinement of the core gameplay that's different here. Like wingless said, lots of tweaks here and there. My boy Mitsurugi's fairly similar, though they have changed a few things for Astaroth (nerfed Poseidon Tide Rush-can't really blame them for that.)

I personally don't mind that there aren't create-a-fighter weapon styles. They were all mostly broken remixes of moves from other, more fleshed-out sytles. Who likes remixes, anyway?

No crap talking before matches is kind of lame, if understandable, and I haven't yet unlocked a character to fulfill the old Inferno/Edge Master/Charade/Olcadan role of a different style each round, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy. You are definitely on, Rama et al, at M7 because I'm gonna work like no hours this year. You had a pretty good Siegfried, didn't you Rama?

My boy Mitsurugi's fairly similar, though they have changed a few things for Astaroth (nerfed Poseidon Tide Rush-can't really blame them for that.)

1178778398603-1.jpg

Mitsurugi has been my alt so far, so that's good to hear. He's so much fun to play as, but I like Yoshi's variety better.

It's a bummer they nerfed Poseidon Tide Rush, because that move just made you feel like a total badass for getting it off... like Calamity Symphony. I hate Ivy, but I gotta admit, that move is insane.