Soul Calibur IV

Wacky

Said the guy who loves Smash Bros.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=447208&postcount=315

I know reading is hard, but you should try it sometime.

Fine, I apologize for letting my massive disappointment in SC 4 lash out. I still think it's little more than fanservice, but it was wrong of me to state my opinion as irrefutable fact.

Guest characters are not held in a high regard because they're not guaranteed to be in other SC games. After all they're just GUEST characters. A one-off apperance.

However a lot of people especially have a problem with Yoda. Because of his height, he renders a lot of moves against him to be totally useless. In that respect he almost breaks the game.

yea, and you saying that guest characters are different from unlockable characters when it comes to what's banned and what's not really helped proved that SCIV is a button-mashing, tournament unworthy game.

no it didn't but it did go to show that the game is not really balanced very well at all

no it didn't but it did go to show that the game is not really balanced very well at all

Yup. What? 5 characters? In a cast over over 30. Totally unbalanced. How could anyone ever hope to say this game is, in any way, fair? You're a master. You should put out a book. Maybe an eBook. You could make a real fortune teaching people fair and balanced arguments with hard, relevant facts that REALLY get your point across.

okay rama have fun losing to kilik

Just learn to read him. Kilik is pretty easy nowadays, I'm having more trouble with skilled players or Amy-spam. I can't read Amy well yet :'(

I just picked up Rock btw, he's fun but incredibly bad. He's slow and all his main chains/damage moves require ground throws. These can both be ukemi'd and grapplebreaked.. but he's still a whole lot of fun. He's got a neverending throw combo if they don't grapple break :D

Rock can be good if you know some of his faster moves. You really need to weed out his incredibly useless moveset and just work on 5 or 6 he's really good at + the ground grapples.

And coincidentally, I use the Amy spam to full effect. I actually mix in at least three or four unique Amy stances, so you can't exactly call it a spam other than complete and utter domination.

Also, Amy is apparently the very top seed, even in high level tournaments. Go figure. She is really that good.

Rock can be good if you know some of his faster moves. You really need to weed out his incredibly useless moveset and just work on 5 or 6 he's really good at + the ground grapples.

And coincidentally, I use the Amy spam to full effect. I actually mix in at least three or four unique Amy stances, so you can't exactly call it a spam other than complete and utter domination.

Also, Amy is apparently the very top seed, even in high level tournaments. Go figure. She is really that good.

Yeah Amy's a bitch and she was a bitch in SC3 as a guest :D

Rock basically has 6K, 4B, 9B and sometimes 2A+K but that's an awkward button combination. Those moves are good and all but very easy to read since the only good low is both a bit slow and hard to pull off. In any case, I'm going to practice some more and hopefully I'll get my Wireless up and running soon so I can play some more online at dad's.

Lizardman is fun, like you said, but he's not the lizardman I learned to love in SC3. I might like him eventually but.. yeah eventually. :3

With Rock, you have to map A+K on a shoulder button or something. It really is awkward any other way. Also why the heck does his reach have to be as short as Sophitia's, I will never understand. They basically made Rock a joke character in the game and overpowered Siegfried and Mitsurugi now. Now I wish they are gone forever in the next versions or at least toned down a bit with their damage and automatic mixup. Every other online game is a snobby Mitsurugi or Siegfried abuser. I normally leave games if I know the other player only knows Siegfried, because it's like a third of the games I play now are against him. I usually beat him, but Siegfried has his up and down game powered up and frankly it's just annoying to fight him.

As for Lizardman, he's quite a bit more gimmicky in his style but he's still a very good character standing up if you know some of his standing attacks. Mainly mixing up 66A+B and 1A and others. I never really liked Lizardman until the powered up crawling stance in this version.

With Rock, you have to map A+K on a shoulder button or something. It really is awkward any other way. Also why the heck does his reach have to be as short as Sophitia's, I will never understand. They basically made Rock a joke character in the game and overpowered Siegfried and Mitsurugi now. Now I wish they are gone forever in the next versions or at least toned down a bit with their damage and automatic mixup. Every other online game is a snobby Mitsurugi or Siegfried abuser. I normally leave games if I know the other player only knows Siegfried, because it's like a third of the games I play now are against him. I usually beat him, but Siegfried has his up and down game powered up and frankly it's just annoying to fight him.

As for Lizardman, he's quite a bit more gimmicky in his style but he's still a very good character standing up if you know some of his standing attacks. Mainly mixing up 66A+B and 1A and others. I never really liked Lizardman until the powered up crawling stance in this version.

You get me I-n-j-i-n.

I don't really enjoy playing against Mitsu (that lowkick/slice thing is pain) but I haven't had any trouble with Siegfried so far. Mapping shoulderbuttons is an option but I'm currently using both grabs, A+B and Critical Finish. Might have to change Critical finish then.

Lizzie will require me to get used to using his stances instead of just mix-ups but it'll probably be fun.

By the way, I urge EVERYONE to take the official Soul Calibur IV Survey. You have to register but you can tell exactly what you enjoyed/want changed in coming games or updates. Be smart now! Get rid of bonus-chars, bring back old chars and MOAR BALANCE :D

Some say with good points that Mitsurugi is probably broken and is unbalancing the game with the way he tracks players down. You can't ever sidestep him correctly since he tends to track almost all of his low kicks and most low swipes. As for Siegfried, a moderately proficient one will just mix up his stances and make things really annoying.

As for bonus characters, I never had a problem with that. In fact, I think they should have made Angol Fear and Ashelotte more powerful and unique. If anything, they should aim to give bonus characters their entirely unique moveset next time. Bringing back some old characters sounds good though. And maybe not making Rock almost useless.

Some say with good points that Mitsurugi is probably broken and is unbalancing the game with the way he tracks players down. You can't ever sidestep him correctly since he tends to track almost all of his low kicks and most low swipes. As for Siegfried, a moderately proficient one will just mix up his stances and make things really annoying.

As for bonus characters, I never had a problem with that. In fact, I think they should have made Angol Fear and Ashelotte more powerful and unique. If anything, they should aim to give bonus characters their entirely unique moveset next time. Bringing back some old characters sounds good though. And maybe not making Rock almost useless.

Oh, I was being unclear. Bonus as in cameos, like star wars, spwan, link and heihachi. The characters designed for the game (like Ahslotte) are wicked awesome. More of those!

I have yet to see anyone ever trying to play Ashelotte online though. I used her twice just to mess around and that's it. Her short range Astaroth style is really hard to win with. It's a real shame since she has some of the coolest design as a robot doll girl.

Yeah sorry I've just been unable to go to my friend's place for a while to play SCIV. I have played as Ashelotte and she's not all that hard to win with depending on who I'm playing with... Really weird since he plays it more than I do yet I can kick his ass around with Ashelotte despite the range and his preference to those like Siegfreid. Maybe I'm just used to using characters that fight up close; and he probably just sucks hard core for which I haven't realized just yet :lol: ...

I know I'm not the only one who've played Ashelotte online, which injin's post kinda surprises me.

I have yet to see anyone ever trying to play Ashelotte online though. I used her twice just to mess around and that's it. Her short range Astaroth style is really hard to win with. It's a real shame since she has some of the coolest design as a robot doll girl.

I still have no idea what the difference from Asta is since I haven't tried her much :D

no entire characters are tourney banned in SSBB

Yoda shouldn't count in the first place.

And I don't see guard impacting as a bad system. Using a parry or an impact to give yourself an advantage is crucial to not only weapon based fighting, but fighting in general. I like it better than DOA4's counter system because you have to do more than just press back and guard at the same time to do some damage.

And I beat Kilik almost all the time. Kilik is one of the most vulnerable characters to guard impacting because of his staff's travel time at long ranges. And most players play him like 80% vertical, so if I side-step frequently and use moves that flow into sidestepping, I end up winning.

And I don't see guard impacting as a bad system. Using a parry or an impact to give yourself an advantage is crucial to not only weapon based fighting, but fighting in general.

it's not a bad concept

I just think it's silly that you can guard impact an attack after being guard impacted

especially if it was a just impact I mean what the hell

I still have no idea what the difference from Asta is since I haven't tried her much :D

Ashelotte basically had 3/4th the reach of Astaroth and is much smaller. And considering most of Astaroth's game is about his ridiculous reach, that is major handicap.

As for impacts, I've seen some people do it with fair accuracy and I actually got an achievement for 200 guard impact (I think that was the number) and I did it all online. It's more of a 'what the hell, I think I'll try to guard impact and pray it works' kind of thing than something you can whip out every time. I think it's like a much less reliable version of the Dead or Alive counters.

Also, I find that Algol has a surprising lack of weaknesses for the most part and you can play him like you would with Megaman. Just blast your blaster away and mix up the sidestep bubbles and the straight bubbles and it gives even very good players a lot of problems. Then you can teleport behind them and launch them into the air with attacks. I love Algol.