Watchmen

Schwaltzvald

I'm actually in the minority on it. Hopefully the movie will be good, but I've read Watchmen several times, and I thought the trailer sucked. I felt the remixed Pumpkins song was a poor fit (too bad, I liked the original from B&R). Plus, I got 0 sense of what the movie was supposed to be about, even though I know the story forwards and backwards. And though the world is supposed to be dark, it's not supposed to be Sin City/300 dark. It just looked needlessly dingy and depressing. Regardless, I'll probably end up seeing this in theaters, and hope they'll do a good job.

I came in here to tell why Larry and Injin are wrong...but aw hell.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=7508

sallyjupiterpinupxj2.jpg

comedian_lfbe.jpg

Everything about this movie is just perfect.

Edit:

To clarify, I think it needs to be one movie, and as long as they want it. I believe people are just generally not as patient as they were decades ago and long for longer, more theatrical films again. And so far, I'm happy with all the choices Snyder has made.

Edit #2:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/watchmen_trailer_to_comic_comparison/ Side by side comparrison of the book and film (trailer). It's pretty spot on. Thinking the movie is too dark is just silly. It's supposed to be bleak.

Edit #2:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/watchmen_trailer_to_comic_comparison/ Side by side comparrison of the book and film (trailer). It's pretty spot on. Thinking the movie is too dark is just silly. It's supposed to be bleak.

The subject matter is bleak. And clearly a lot takes place during the nighttime. But the scenes that actually took place during the day now all look dark too, which I just found weak. For stuff like the return of Dr. Manhattan or Ozymandias defending himself at his building, the shit happened in broad daylight yet it's all dim and dark, and the rest of the scenes like that seem like they'll turn out that way as well. I don't see why the whole film needs to look like it's gonna rain any minute, so I hope that's not what it looks like.

And what the hell did they do with Oz and Comedian's hairstyles? Oz in particular looks like a goof. Also seems like they de-aged Comedian a good deal based on his youthful look in Vietnam. I'm not nitpicking like the movie will be poor, but would rather not have a visual setting like the permanent dusk of 300.

Okay, maybe not *DARK* dark, but still. Still pretty dreary. Also, we only got the night shots for the trailer, it seems. And the whole 300 director involvement so maybe the lighting is purposefully styled like that. Other than that, the look of the characters can't get much better.

And what the hell did they do with Oz and Comedian's hairstyles? Oz in particular looks like a goof. Also seems like they de-aged Comedian a good deal based on his youthful look in Vietnam. I'm not nitpicking like the movie will be poor, but would rather not have a visual setting like the permanent dusk of 300.

Well, this is the first image of Comedian they released.

comediand72.jpg

Hell, I thought that was cooler than Rorschach.

The Tales of the Black Freighter subplot won't be in the movie. However, it is coming out as a separate animated movie, being released directly to DVD a week after Watchmen comes out. Zack Snyder himself is doing the voice of the captain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited about this movie, truth be told, but still very wary of it. How could they possibly fit all of Watchmen into a movie without it being at least 4 and a half hours long?

Oh well, fingers are crossed.

Also: if you haven't read the comic by this point, I'd seriously suggest it as it's an amazingly psychological book. If you don't take my word for it, it's one of Time's top 100 novels of all time.

best thing is the trailer song is a remix of a song by the smashing pumpkins

said song was originally written for the batman & robin soundtrack

this trailer played before The Dark Knight and I thought 'why would they remind me of this'

Looking back at Batman & Robin, it did have some pretty good moments especially in its cheesiness. And yes, the governator's lines are a cult classic now. CHILL.

Also, as bad as the take on Batman was under Schumacher (I still blame the producers who wanted to make Batman a kid-friendly type of movie. People blaming Schumacher are sort of misguided IMO), I still rather like some of the gadgetry and the ridiculously overpowered Batmobile that makes the Tank-Batmobile looks slow, and basically like a normal tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading the Watchmen (inspired by the trailer and Rorscach saying "And I will whipser 'No'") and loving every page of it. However, I just don't see a need for the movie. I can already tell that they are going to have to cut a lot out and probably will make the movie strictly linear. I for one like the random things they do with time and the parallel narratives like the pirate story.

What makes something like the Dark Knight so good is that the writers and director are bringing something unique to the character of Batman, a character whose tale really has no end in sight. We can simply enjoy the character without all the comic book bullshit that only the hardcore comic book fans know. The Watchmen movie however, isn't likely to bring a unique take like that, as the story was done and finished in its original run. What we are likely to get is an incomplete version. Short of an improvement on the original source material, like say LotR because Tolkein was such a boring horrible writer, I'm not really interested in this. At best, it is just going to bring attention to the graphic novel, which really does deserve more.